Ford Inside News banner

LINCOLN [Black Label]...what is it, what SHOULD it be?

110K views 301 replies 31 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
thanks to new member, TaurusSHO
there's trademark news that FLincMoCo has registerd "Black Label" for Lincoln
I posted this ON Lincoln's facebook page so:
urgent COMMENT ON FACEBOOK before Lincoln deletes it

so
What should a [Black Label] Lincoln be like?
&
Could there be other color 'Labels' coming?
&
What should they be?

See less See more
#3 ·
^ Johnnie Walker says they produce red, blue, black, and gold labels of Scotch whisky...

I'm thinking
[Black Label] for some kind of super-executive trim tho not nec. all that high-priced - maybe a trim that would cut-across all their other trims (which need cutting imho)
& going with the easy associations:
[Red Label] for performance
&
[Green Label] for a coming broad-range of electrified or partially-electrified vehicles
[White Label] might be a decent name for their 'Bespoke Program'
as in a blank white paper...you choose what it gets

#4 ·
^ Johnnie Walker says they produce red, blue, black, and gold labels of Scotch whisky...

I'm thinking
[Black Label] for some kind of super-executive trim tho not nec. all that high-priced - maybe a trim that would cut-across all their other trims (which need cutting imho)
&
[Green Label] for a coming broad-range of electrified or partially-electrified vehicles
...and if they had announced 4 new lines, you would have already been contemplating 16!

I hope black label will be a new standard line with interiors and performance notched up a couple steps. It could offer a very unique look and feel.

The bespoke program should be different, and it should be all about customizing any vehicle at a premium price. This should include seats, seat covering, interior accents, digital dash configuration, interior color, exterior color and options.

#6 ·
Black Lebel could be for Lincoln like the S line, M line, V line, AMG is for Audi, BMW, Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz ?
While I think that would be an awesome use of Black label unfortunately Lincoln doesn't have any vehicles nor the platform to back that up. None of the above listed companies water down their performance labels, they only put them on cars that can back up the claim and Lincoln will be laughed at if they put it on a front wheel drive faux performance car. It would be the equivalent of the mid 70's high performance sticker craze.

#7 ·
...and if they had announced 4 new lines, you would have already been contemplating 16!...

actually
thinking just Black & White tho as I described them above

Lincoln don't need no stinkin' performance of ecologic LABELS
cuz ALL their vehicles need to have enough of those attributes

#11 ·
“Lincoln Black Label” Among Ford Trademark Apps, But for What? - Car&Driver
October 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm by Justin Berkowitz

From American Express cards to Ralph Lauren haberdashery to fascist uniforms, the color black delivers a powerful aesthetic message—and in many cases, memorable branding as well. So it’s with special interest that we see Ford has applied to trademark “Lincoln Black Label.” We don’t think it signifies a partnership with Johnnie Walker, but very probably a top trim line for fully loaded MKZs, MKSs, and MKXs, like Cadillac’s Platinum-level XTS and Escalade.

There are other possibilities for Ford’s Black Label intentions. It could refer to higher-end Lincoln dealerships, many of which are undergoing expensive renovation. Less glamorously, the world of private hire cars and limousines, long dominated by Lincoln, are literally called black cars; heaven forbid Lincoln embrace this further with a branded line of posh airport taxis. As is the case with any trademark application, this could be a branding idea that Ford never brings to market.

Other automakers have, of course, offered “black”-badged versions of their cars. Porsche, for example, has offered a slew of Black edition sports cars; Mercedes-Benz dubs its plutonium-fueled AMG models Black Series. In the early 2000s, Bentley referred to a face-lifted Arnage T as the Black Label, referencing earlier Red and Green Label editions from the late 1990s. In the non-automotive world, Black Label branding has been used at Johnnie Walker (for a midrange blended scotch), Ralph Lauren (for extra-pricey men’s formalwear), and...

#13 ·
^

...maybe have all the reps wearing black-on-black tuxedos?

& Thanks to Andrew

from Lincoln's facebook

& edit
that Z photo gave me an thought
what about having the Black Label vehicles also-offer a 2-tone paint job with pure, non-metallic black for the lower color?
& maybe having the interior be black+paint-match upholstery? (no Ginger Ale tho) ...or just a black+red & black+blue? ...maybe Black+silvery??
+
thinking more'n'more that Lincoln could have just a base/std trim and
"Black Label" with an extensive checklist
(my "White Label" bespoke program would 'reach higher' yet)

#14 ·

I'm thinking
&
Which would be all well, and good if not for a few slight issues.

Black Label Mercedes Benz already has Black Series
Red Label Bentley already used Red Label
Green Label Bentley used this moniker as well in the recent past

In my opinion Black Label is confusing, and it has no Lincoln heritage to draw from.

Lincoln used to have vehicles done in a bespoke manner by top name designers, and feature these editions in their top level cars. Lincoln should have a Ralph Lauren Purple Label , Prada, or Gucci edition which would of course be the top of the line of whatever flagship that Lincoln brings to fruition.

Does anyone remember the Cartier edition Lincoln Town Car?

View attachment 3330

Attachments

#15 ·
^

...maybe have all the reps wearing black-on-black tuxedos?

& Thanks to Andrew

from Lincoln's facebook

& edit
that Z photo gave me an thought
what about having the Black Label vehicles also-offer a 2-tone paint job with pure, non-metallic black for the lower color?
& maybe having the interior be black+paint-match upholstery? (no Ginger Ale tho) ...or just a black+red & black+blue? ...maybe Black+silvery??
+
thinking more'n'more that Lincoln could have just a base/std trim and
"Black Label" with an extensive checklist
(my "White Label" bespoke program would 'reach higher' yet)

THANK YOU 2b2 for bringing up 2-tone paint! I thought I was the only one who wants that again. 2-tone paint would work well with the contours of the design. Black with Ginger Ale could work (can the name be changed to Champagne please? Ginger Ale sounds like a kiddy drink not fitting for Lincoln). Perhaps all black body with gold pinstripe, blackout grille and black and gold interior?? Same could be done using silver, red, light ice blue, dark green and maybe even white or off white.

Germeezy1, I agree with the color label naming not fitting in. I would also like to see Cartier be the top model again as it was in the past. The Designer Series was always a favorite at Lincoln since introduced in 1976. Maybe expand to a Coachbuilder Series bring Coachbuilder names from the past and styled with custom interiors as part of the Bespoke program as well.

#16 ·
THANK YOU 2b2 for bringing up 2-tone paint! I thought I was the only one who wants that again. 2-tone paint would work well with the contours of the design. Black with Ginger Ale could work (can the name be changed to Champagne please? Ginger Ale sounds like a kiddy drink not fitting for Lincoln). Perhaps all black body with gold pinstripe, blackout grille and black and gold interior?? Same could be done using silver, red, light ice blue, dark green and maybe even white or off white.

Germeezy1, I agree with the color label naming not fitting in. I would also like to see Cartier be the top model again as it was in the past. The Designer Series was always a favorite at Lincoln since introduced in 1976. Maybe expand to a Coachbuilder Series bring Coachbuilder names from the past and styled with custom interiors as part of the Bespoke program as well.
I want the two tone paint will come back, too! See the Bentleys .. they looks gorgeous in two tone paint works... and some Lincolns could looks good, too.

#17 ·
The contract between Lincoln and Cartier ran out in 2003 iirc they never renewed it and they had it for I think 30 years. After that they replaced it with Designer then that got replaced with Signature Limited

If anyone didn't know: http://www.cartier.com/

#18 ·
The contract between Lincoln and Cartier ran out in 2003 iirc they never renewed it and they had it for I think 30 years. After that they replaced it with Designer then that got replaced with Signature Limited

If anyone didn't know: http://www.cartier.com/
They need to have this relationship renewed post haste especially considering that Cartier is still a world renowned heritage luxury company.

#22 ·
THANK YOU 2b2 for bringing up 2-tone paint! I thought I was the only one who wants that again. 2-tone paint would work well with the contours of the design. Black with Ginger Ale could work (can the name be changed to Champagne please? Ginger Ale sounds like a kiddy drink not fitting for Lincoln). Perhaps all black body with gold pinstripe, blackout grille and black and gold interior?? Same could be done using silver, red, light ice blue, dark green and maybe even white or off white...
YvW, TurboS40

tho my vision is a highly restricted 2-tone - imho way too easy to go too far and actually dilute the whole thing (imho)
& (JUST thought of this)
with just a super-black lower color, this SORTA recalls-while-NEGATING the whole livery blackcar stigma

...Germeezy1, I agree with the color label naming not fitting in. I would also like to see Cartier be the top model again as it was in the past. The Designer Series was always a favorite at Lincoln since introduced in 1976. Maybe expand to a Coachbuilder Series bring Coachbuilder names from the past and styled with custom interiors as part of the Bespoke program as well.
I like the just Black+White label theme I'm pushing ('natch)
believe it has a cultural meaning (why so many use it)
AND would be fairly easy to replace/upgrade sometime without everyone getting bent out of shape with nostalgia
&
don't ever want to see outsiders' names again (unless they're begging to bankroll the program)
&
main point:
imho the whole thing with the designer series was to be "different"
but now
Lincolns desperately need to ESTABLISH a DNA ie& a family resemblance (not cookiecutter/sausage-lengths)

#25 ·
Yes the Shield program is one that entails Cadillac's purchase benefits including free maintenance that are no cost benefits for purchasing a Cadillac vehicle.
so it's on-going as we speak...err...type?
&
tho I ranted about a customer-service "Star Program" for Lincoln before ever reading about the Shield Program (ONCE on GMI),
that's not what I'd pick for the guts of [ Black Label ]

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.