Ford lineup to change, but how? - Page 18 - Ford Inside News Community
 164Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:45 AM
Ford Kuga
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,812
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Actually the Crossover is ideal for BEVs because of the space the battery compartment takes up below the seats. That displacement can be offset by a taller and higher positioned passenger compartment, it's another reason Ford is no longer investing in sedans and why all volume EVs moving forward are utilities. The truth is the BEV killed the sedan.

And Wings is absolutely right, the Model 3 is a cheaper Tesla, has nothing to do with the fact it's a sedan because there are no competitors or even a Tesla utility. Tesla is going to be caught with it's pants down if they don't get Model Y here before everybody else gets here first.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-17-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Assimilator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #172 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:18 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
jpd80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

And that convinces me even more that Tesla prioritized the wrong vehicle, Ute should have been first.
jpd80 is offline  
post #173 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,835
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Tesla sedans have attractive silouhettes and proportions. Hard to argue against the fact that for many, they are aspirational. I personally would only buy a BEV as a 2nd vehicle not a primary family vehicle. That changes things significantly. I mean, if I already have a CUV with an ICE or even a hybrid, do I really want to purchase another BEV CUV? Many will, no doubt, but not all. Or maybe Ford will prove me wrong, and most won’t miss the sedan.

I recently saw a graph plotting the vectored expectations of vehicle propulsion systems that will be sold. So by 2030;
1. ICE = 32%
2. Hybrid = 45%
3. BEV = 23%

So that means that ICE will still be part of 77% of all vehicles sold.
wingsnut is online now  
 
post #174 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Ford Falcon
 
rmc523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,601
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
I've been on this forum for years. Many including myself have stated our opinion that Ford was screwing things up. Many - they know who they are - have defended Ford, insisting that they are just on the verge of great things.

Well ... I understand the complaints. Those who dared to question Ford's moves over the years were proven right.

Ford doesn't have a history of aggressive product development outside of F-series. Even the favored Mustang lagged for years with a solid rear axle well into the 21st century. So why should everyone suddenly have blind faith that Ford is now on the right track?
I'm not arguing that the product lull we're in doesn't suck. I'm just trying to make the point that now that we're in it, they can't just instantly come out with a new product tomorrow because they need a product today. Some help arrives at the tail end of this year with Edge/Nautilus and eventually Ranger, and bigger help arrives next year with the 4 key utilities arriving (Escape, Explorer, Corsair, Aviator).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Ford (and Detroit in general) historically had a longer than industry average product churn which partly lead to their near demise. Much of that came from the simple fact that they were poorly managed companies that responded to immediate conditions instead of planning longterm. In many ways Mullally's Ford was Ford responding in epic fashion to immediate needs, but not necessarily preparing Ford for a sustainable future. Ford is stuck in a perpetual cycle of rebirth every 10 years. We are going through another one now but the conditions are far less dire since they are still profitable. But this is probably the first time Ford has been largely alone in its misery. I'm both confident and skeptical in Ford's future knowing that this will happen again and again. But when it comes to products, at least right now, Ford's churn is not that far off from the industry. It's just the timing of everything, we went from the boom time of the Mullally years to the drought of the Fields years which simply corresponds with the product lifecycles. And Fields was also grappling with OneFord that wasn't completely successful, and the fact Fields couldn't make decisions ultimately meant Ford lost its footing almost completely. So instead of gradually phasing to a new decade, Ford basically has to start over and bank on what it has been working on.
I've said it a few times, but my problem with OneFord is this - and the blame can be on both Mulally and Fields, with the latter taking more since he should've been the one implementing it....

Not all that differently from the current plan, OneFord drove to reduce platforms by merging similar worldwide products onto single platforms and consolidate manufacturing sites as applicable. That sounds great on paper, but then you wind up with what we have now - global products, but ones that may not be ideal for particular markets. I always thought the plan was to consolidate to those core products, and then compliment them with additional region-appropriate models based upon those core architectures. That's what the new plan is (I think, anyway). That way you don't get stuck with a product that various markets don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
This Ford focused decision making is clear by the recent reports that China consumers wanted a larger screen in an EV. Duhhhh....like that took rocket science, which indicates Ford was just trying to save money trying to use their tiny screens and blind to what the industry is offering. And seriously, they had to halt design of Fords first full EV because it was boring? The question is how did a boring design make it that far to begin with? Ford reminds me of a stubborn old man, who tries to continue to do things the way he always did, regardless of what's happening around him. Ford clearly does not take into account what the competition is doing and tries to design in a vacuum.

What's the best selling EV style? A sedan (Model 3)

What's the newest affordable model from a popular "the newest coolest thing" brand? Coincidentally a sedan (Model 3). It'd be just as popular if it were a crossover.

What's the next best selling EV style? a 5-door hatch (Leaf)

So? What's your point? There are like 3 affordable models out there right now. Model 3, Bolt, and Leaf. Obviously when there's no crossover option, sedan/hatch sales will be greater than crossover sales.

What's the slowest selling EV style? An SUV

What are the EV SUV options? Model X? Oh, the one that starts close to 80k and goes up into the mid 100k? Obviously it will be slower selling.

So if an automaker has the global manufacturing power, what EV style should they make at the highest volume to benefit from scale and offer quicker profitability?

1. Sedan
2. 5-door hatch (4-door fast back)

Automakers gambling on these Frankenstein car/crossover/suv things are missing their higher volume profitability, with ultra-low volume overpriced Frankencars. For one they are asking the consumer for too many changes at once. Adopt an EV drivetrain, along with a blended body style that does not match anything familiar to them.

It just seems so much less costly, and much more profitable to put the EV drivetrain under 'familiar' vehicle styles that offers the consumer the greatest benefit from the EV drivetrain. Which would be the sedan or 5-door hatch(fastback). Which is why if the new EV based on a Mustang is not a Next Gen Mustang EV, it will fail. What a waste it would be for an EV based on a Mustang to not be designed to take advantage of all the performance advantages an EV drivetrain can offer. Especially if it's called a MACH 1. Seriously.
So suddenly because it's an EV, it'll be high volume AND highly profitable? The same EVs that aren't profitable now?

So by Bloggin math:

sedan (struggles to make profits) + EV (no profits currently) somehow = mega profits?

Gotcha...

---

There is to be an EV Mustang in addition to "Mach 1".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
^....it is electrification that is bringing customers back to the sedan/fastback sedan. The industry knows this but it will take some longer to get there than others. Tesla is clearly leading the way with the Model 3, and that momentum accelerates next year with the base Model 3 being available. Nissan will most certainly be next following their Infiniti sedan ev, with Honda still toying with hydrogen. On the luxury side, MB has a new EQS to launch in 2020 along with Jaguar with an electric version of the XJ.

As the sedan 'shares' the segments with crossovers/suvs, there will always be consumers on both sides, with EVs pulling ahead of ICE sedans in a very short time. The challenge a 'crossover' profile has is that it either requires higher ground clearance, which is a negative for aerodynamics and stability for no good reason, or requires a higher cabin, which is also a negative for aerodynamics. But at this stage, compact/midsize SUVs are necessary especially for a couple of my younger nieces who can't really fit into sedans 'comfortably' anymore. The benefit of the suv is the ability to step up into the seat and step down out, and no sitting down and trying to get back up, along with needing a higher roof. For a little perspective, neither can fit in my 3-series. So there is a demographic that will 'need' an suv or suv that looks like a car, so maybe that's the demographic Ford is looking at.

And looking at the MACH 1, the current Mustang has a great profile, so as long as Ford does not break that, and then give it a performance EV platform, without confusing the Mustang brand, trying to be like Porsche with the Cayenne. Mustang needs to remain Mustang. But a Mustang Grand Coupe(4-door fast back) like BMW does could work. But NO to any type of crosover/SUVish thing for a Mustang.
And what was the first model of MB's EQ sub-brand? A CROSSOVER.

Mustang is staying Mustang. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Mustang is suddenly going to morph into an Expedition.

They're pulling styling cues from Mustang for a new low-slung crossover model....it otherwise has nothing to do with Mustang (aside from the EV tech underneath, of course).
Logans Run and pffan1990 like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
rmc523 is offline  
post #175 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Ford Flex
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,270
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post

I've said it a few times, but my problem with OneFord is this...
Ford's first attempt at a world car was the Escort, which was only half-hearted, and seemed OK.
The second was the Contour. That was not sized, styled, or priced for US consumption and it showed.
So, this is not really new issue, but it now seems to be spread out among way too many products, and what helps in one market, makes it a hard sell in another.


They used to say if it played in Peoria, you'd have a hit.
Now, if it doesn't play in Peking, it might not make it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Logans Run is offline  
post #176 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,995
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I think it's something more basic. Did we notice that Ford just this month announced a New team tasked with surveying the consumer about what they actually want in a vehicle, like they already do with the F-150? All along Ford has been deciding what the consumer wants, and it's been hit and miss. But their recent announcement about the NEW team makes it clear why Ford products other than F-150 continue to struggle. With Ford blaming the customer for not wanting what Ford wanted to sell the customer. Ford made cars for the European market and just expected the NA customer want them too. Now making cars designed for the Chinese market, and NA and Europe are expected to want it. Ford has been vocal about designing Lincoln models specifically for the Chinese market as if that's a benefit for NA. It's just eye opening that Ford is just now thinking of asking the NA customer what they want.

This Ford focused decision making is clear by the recent reports that China consumers wanted a larger screen in an EV. Duhhhh....like that took rocket science, which indicates Ford was just trying to save money trying to use their tiny screens and blind to what the industry is offering. And seriously, they had to halt design of Fords first full EV because it was boring? The question is how did a boring design make it that far to begin with? Ford reminds me of a stubborn old man, who tries to continue to do things the way he always did, regardless of what's happening around him. Ford clearly does not take into account what the competition is doing and tries to design in a vacuum.

What's the best selling EV style? A sedan (Model 3)

What's the next best selling EV style? a 5-door hatch (Leaf)

What's the slowest selling EV style? An SUV

So if an automaker has the global manufacturing power, what EV style should they make at the highest volume to benefit from scale and offer quicker profitability?

1. Sedan
2. 5-door hatch (4-door fast back)

Automakers gambling on these Frankenstein car/crossover/suv things are missing their higher volume profitability, with ultra-low volume overpriced Frankencars. For one they are asking the consumer for too many changes at once. Adopt an EV drivetrain, along with a blended body style that does not match anything familiar to them.

It just seems so much less costly, and much more profitable to put the EV drivetrain under 'familiar' vehicle styles that offers the consumer the greatest benefit from the EV drivetrain. Which would be the sedan or 5-door hatch(fastback). Which is why if the new EV based on a Mustang is not a Next Gen Mustang EV, it will fail. What a waste it would be for an EV based on a Mustang to not be designed to take advantage of all the performance advantages an EV drivetrain can offer. Especially if it's called a MACH 1. Seriously.

The EV sedans are selling better than the EV Crossovers, because there are not EV crossover for sale, yet.

And the Tesla Model X is not a crossover, is some kind of Minivan with ridiculous falcon-wings doors...

This will change when the EQC be available... and the Audi Q e-Tron, and the Ford Mach1, and the BMW i-next.... and... and....

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is offline  
post #177 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Nihar Mazumdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 743
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

And?
Nihar Mazumdar is offline  
post #178 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,995
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
And?

...and the VW ID Crossover and the VW EV retro bus, and the DS DS3 Crossback E-Tense, and the almost inevitable EV Lincoln crossover based on the Mach1, and, and...and... Every automaker will have an EV crossover in the next 24 to 36 months. Tesla will need to run “for the lunch” .

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is offline  
post #179 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,835
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Money made every second of the day,

Toyota (TM) makes $563.92 (£430.10)
Ford (F) makes $227.05
Volkswagen (VOW.DE) makes $119.73
Renault (RNL.F) makes $138.04
Ferrari (RACE) makes $28.10
wingsnut is online now  
post #180 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 04:34 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,995
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Money made every second of the day,

Toyota (TM) makes $563.92 (£430.10)
Ford (F) makes $227.05
Volkswagen (VOW.DE) makes $119.73
Renault (RNL.F) makes $138.04
Ferrari (RACE) makes $28.10

...and Tesla how much money does it burn every second of the day? 98,20$ , in the first 6 months of 2018

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome