Ford lineup to change, but how? - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

I think New Taurus will replace current Taurus, since the larger car segment, with large cars that meet the large car consumer needs, is growing in year over year sales. And this will realign the rest of the sedan and SUV lineup.

New Expedition/New Navigator

New Taurus/Continental - New Flex/New MKT

New Fusion/MKZ(MKS Coupe) - New Edge/New MKX/New Explorer/New Aviator

- MKZ(MKS Coupe) should be smaller in length. width and height than Fusion, and RWD more directly targeted at C-Class. Current MKZ is too big for that duty, and the size difference will also help differentiate the Lincoln model from the Ford model as Lincoln is intent on doing.

New Model E/Focus/Lincoln Sedan - New Escape/New MKC/New Model E SUV

New Fiesta - New Fiesta Active/New EcoSport
scford58 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Focus RS

Ford hasn't pushed the Taurus here in the states, yet they introduced a newer Taurus in China. I can't figure that one out. Where is Ford headquartered anyway? All the 2017 models are out except for the Taurus. I read on here on long ago that the Taurus life was extended a couple years. If not, what happens to the police sedans? I think Ford in more interested china than the states.
post #13 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Focus RS WRC

I have a few thoughts on this....

First, "Falcon Lover" while I don't like everything you've said, I have to say you are probably correct. I just hope its not all true.

What if Ford introduced the new Taurus and a Taurus "Active Wagon" similar to Volvo, the recently introduced E-Class All Terrain, and the Regal Wagon? Raised riding height with plenty of room for family and gear. I also like "2b2"'s idea of a new Thunderbird but I would make it a 4 door coupe, a nice and cheaper CLS.

Give the customer a cheaper Focus would not be the best thing, IMHO. People are moving towards luxury products even in the smaller vehicles. Go big or go home Ford. While I'm on the luxury subject I think Ford should introduce Lincoln products in Europe and have the Vignale serve as the transitional product.

Everyone is wanting CUVs, SUVs and the unattractive (IMHO) SUV/CUV Coupes. Ford needs to be on this and hit every niche without abandoning the sedan/coupe market completely.

Lastly, I hope Ford goes big with electric vehicles and I think "Badhac" is correct. Follow the lead of Toyota with its Prius family and Hyundai's Ionic.

(PS) "Andrew L" I too with they had never killed the Escape Hybrid. Wasn't that a good seller prior to the C-Max?
falcon lover, 2b2 and Andrew L like this.

Ford ~ Mercury ~ Lincoln

Lifelong Fan!

post #14 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ s @scford58
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
I think New Taurus will replace current Taurus, since the larger car segment, with large cars that meet the large car consumer needs, is growing in year over year sales. And this will realign the rest of the sedan and SUV lineup...
ORLY?!?

Quote:
...New Flex/New MKT...
ORLY˛

Quote:
...MKZ(MKS Coupe)...
...MKZ(MKS Coupe)...
I'm just gonna pretend you said STARstang, Bloggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
Ford hasn't pushed the Taurus here in the states, yet they introduced a newer Taurus in China. I can't figure that one out...
...If not, what happens to the police sedans? I think Ford in more interested china than the states.
afaik LEO is buying more&more Explorers inStead of Tauruseses, &
imho China-Taurus is drab if not ugly.
Think the U.S would need '''sumthin speshul'''/beyond-mainstream; hence my Taurino/Tbird = higher ATPs too!
otoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by me-elsewhere-today
s'funny
if instead of fighting against the Cuv characteristics of the Volvo donor-platform, esp how they did with the 2010 refresh,
IF they'd gone ahead and made a taller-but-swoopy-Cuv out of it, they'd've been ahead of the current trend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scford58
...Taurus "Active Wagon" similar to Volvo, the recently introduced E-Class All Terrain...
edit/ps @scford58
I completely agree about the Tbird having 4 doors CLS-ish is right on
( got an oldish China-based chop somewhere...)
scford58 and Bloggin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 12-09-2016 at 12:36 AM.
post #15 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ s @scford58
&
ORLY?!?
Here is what I see. Current Taurus, refreshed Avalon, New Impala are ALL built on small 111 - 112 inch wheelbases that are not the standard for a midsize car. The result is they all suffer from too small interiors and lack in rear seat legroom, which is important for a large car no matter where it is. And guess what, all three of those 'no longer large cars', suffer sales losses. Chrysler with the 300(up 1.8%) and their Dodge variants (Charger down just .1%), are the only two large cars, that actually fit the current requirement for a large car. And with the right size, FCA is doing it with aging platforms as well.

Ford knows this, and that's why they build the New Taurus launched in China (first). Thing is, all those large car consumers are not going to 'climb' into a box SUV, and many can't because they are too old, overweight, struggling with mobility or just disabled.

And with the New Taurus using an updated platform that can be the bones of an upgraded Flex and MKT seems doable. Flex is also key to Fords inroads in California, which helps move even more models in the largest auto market in the US. And those customers buy the Flex over and again, and want a new model.

But we will see what Ford decides to do.
falcon lover, 2b2 and scford58 like this.
post #16 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:45 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I wonder if the flexibility of cD6 would allow for profitability on rather low-volume vehicles like Flex...WHICH are important for (very) specific markets (Cali)??

Quote:
...edit/ps @scford58
I completely agree about the Tbird having 4 doors CLS-ish is right on
( got an oldish China-based chop somewhere...)
here it is/was
Quote:
...a quickie chop

nextday-edit:
just remembered a Name made up for a previous chop:
TAURINO
also, while searching, re-found my old acronym for the raised-sedans
Quote:
"Nuvs" = ...taller, 5-doors ...between 'cars' & 'Cuvs'...

re-edit: stuff-elsewhere+
- saw a hint about a Taurus-follow-up for U.S
- saw well-founded claim Bronco will Job1 late cy2018 (more-or-less WITH Ranger) &
- a Q: does the Fusion or any CD4 offer the 2.3EB? yet?
scford58 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 12-09-2016 at 03:11 AM.
post #17 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 AM
Focus RS WRC

^2b2^

I love the Thunderbird (Taurino) with those sexy slim lights. Great job!
2b2 likes this.

Ford ~ Mercury ~ Lincoln

Lifelong Fan!
post #18 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
How?

Here my ideas:

NorthAmerica will lose the Taurus and Fiesta
Europe will lose the Mondeo
1. The Taurus will most likely be killed in North America since it belongs to a shrinking market (non-global model).
2. Ford will most likely need the Fiesta (alongside the 2018 EcoSport) to meet CAFE regulations, Ford can source it from Mexico or Asia.
3. I think Fusion and Mondeo need each other to survive.
* Importing lower profit/lower volume models (next Fiesta, next Focus) makes more sense than manufacturing lower profit/lower volume models domestically (Taurus).

Quote:
One of the 2 monovolumen Europe had now (S-Max and Galaxy) need to be transformed into a crossover. Maybe the extended Edge will be enough. Maybe a new model bigger than the Edge and smaller than the Explorer could be ok.
That is basically what the Chinese market 7-seater Edge is under the skin, it's a S-Max Crossover.

Quote:
Eventually, Ford will need a platform exclusive for electric vehicles. This platform must be very flexible to make possible build sedans, crossovers with different sizes.
Aren't they making a "Model E", sort of a Leaf/Bolt rival?
falcon lover and scford58 like this.
post #19 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:27 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

^^ TY, scford

disclaimer: didn't factcheck myself
GMi: the BOLT is classified as a TRUCK

Could ALL prospective 'Active's be Trucks, too?

&
pondering longs-&-shorts:
- Focus & "Focus-Sprint" instead of Fiesta
&
'nother article
Ford sees lineup changing to match demand
Automotive News

Michael Martinez - December 5, 2016

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will likely make changes to its car lineup as demand for small utilities continues to outpace that for sedans.

That could include offering crossover-style variants of certain sedans -- as it plans to do in Europe with the Fiesta subcompact’s new Active model -- or dropping certain nameplates altogether.

“Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas,” Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas, told Automotive News today. “Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio.”

Ford’s car sales dropped 13 percent in November and are down 14 percent through the first 11 months of the year.

Sedans slump
Sedans have fared the worst. Fiesta sales have led the decline, dropping 26 percent year-to-date. Focus sales have fallen 17 percent; C-Max and Mustang sales are down 13 percent; Taurus sales have dropped 11 percent and Fusion sales are down 10 percent.

Hinrichs didn’t name specific nameplates that could be cut, but noted former popular vehicles such as the Freestar minivan and Ranger midsize pickup that were killed after demand dropped.

“If you look at our past, there’s been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added,” Hinrichs said. “Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out.”

Adding debt
Separately, Hinrichs told Reuters today that Ford plans to raise about $2 billion in long-term debt. It would be the first time the company has sought to add to its automotive debt in nearly four years.

Hinrichs said the money will largely go toward investments in new technology.

“It’s an opportunistic time,” Hinrichs told Reuters. “It’s a supportive marketplace for long-term debt given where rates are, and we want to make sure that throughout the cycle of the industry we have the flexibility to do what we need to do and want to do, especially in the emerging part of the business.”

SUV options
Stephen Odell, Ford’s director of global marketing, sales and service, said there’s no indication the SUV trend will end anytime soon, but options are available to address both vehicle segments.

Last week in Germany, Ford introduced a new Active model for its Fiesta which includes a higher suspension and looks more like a crossover.

“You can address both markets in some cases with a similar product offering,” Odell said, although he declined to say if the Fiesta Active model would come to the U.S.

To help combat sluggish car demand, Ford will make all of its small cars in lower-cost Mexico.

That includes moving the Focus compact and C-Max hybrid out of the company’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne in 2018 and moving the Focus to a new $1.6 billion plant in Mexico. Ford has not said what it will do with the C-Max.

Mexican business equation
Ford’s decision to move the Focus south of the border ensured the nameplate would have a future in the U.S. that may not have been possible if Ford continued to build it in America, Hinrichs said.

“It improved the Focus business equation and allowed us to have a next-gen Focus,” Hinrichs said. “We want it to be an important part of our car offerings in the marketplace, but it’s important to recognize where that segmentation’s been going over time and what that may mean in the future about the volumes.

“I think it would be a very challenging proposition to build the next-gen Focus in the U.S.”
scford58 likes this.

post #20 of 190 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Ford Flex

For now I see the Mid-size (Fusion, Camry, Malibu) cars growing to take over the larger (Taurus, Impala, Avalon).
I imagine once electrification/self drive takes over in a couple decades, MPG will be a non-actor, and all cars will go through a drastic reconfiguration. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "one size fits all' sedan, and maybe three sizes of CUVs as the only offerings (Expect trucks)from most manufacturers at that time.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page