Ford lineup to change, but how? - Page 9 - Ford Inside News Community
 164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 190 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:12 PM
Ford Flex

Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
seems I frequently wonder if Fomoco BOTHERS to do outside-the-box "ThoughtExperiments" when it comes to design-engineering
How much room (& where) for batteries IF they could be
- 10% smaller?
- 25% smaller?
- 1/2 the size?
- less than 1/4 the current size?
...AND design vehicles that could accommodate those changes withOUT a whole-new platform?????
I don't know if battery size/weight will be a huge issue for long. In the distant future, it looks like vehicles will be so autonomouse, that crashing together will be a near impossiblity! If that does happen they could make cars out of any cheap and lightweight material they wish. Weight becomes less of an issue, and size gains priority again. Maybe my 2035 Lincoln Mark V will be as big and stylish as the antique it was named after, but only weigh as much as a modern day Miata.
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 190 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
fwiw

adding FiN posts I just bumped into...

As for number 2 it seems pretty **** universal on every social media post about how everyone wished the Conti got suicide doors from day one but I can see why they didn't do it. I have a hard time believing they will do it now....... however....... suicide doors would be a massive kick in the ass the luxury sedan market could desperately need.
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #83 of 190 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
As for number 2 it seems pretty **** universal on every social media post about how everyone wished the Conti got suicide doors from day one but I can see why they didn't do it. I have a hard time believing they will do it now....... however....... suicide doors would be a massive kick in the ass the luxury sedan market could desperately need.
Suicide doors got their name for a reason.

post #84 of 190 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:57 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^^ the ONLY way I can believe the #2:coach'pera'icide doors are POSSIBLE is with new architecture...

...at least we find out about #1:NYCivator in only ~70 days**

** oops - at first I did away with March
hbmf3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 01-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
post #85 of 190 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

2020 Ford Explorer to go RWD, get 400-hp ST version
Reports say Ford's new RWD platform will also spawn a Lincoln SUV
Autoblog
- JONATHON RAMSEY - Jan 31st 2018

...Bigger things will apparently come next year, though, when the 2020 Ford Explorer begins production at Ford's Chicago Assembly Planet. The Truth About Cars reports that not only will the mid-sized SUV move to a new, modular, rear-drive platform, but it'll get a hot ST version to pair with the recently released Edge ST.

TTAC broke the news about the platform switch four years ago. The return to rear-wheel drive would take the Explorer back to its roots; the first four Explorer generations were truck-based, rear-drive haulers. The new CD6 architecture is said to be a big chunk of the $5 billion Ford invested in Lincoln, and it works for front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive vehicles... ...The CD6 foundation will also support an unnamed Lincoln to be built at the Chicago plant. Both SUVs should have steel sheetmetal, not aluminum...

...TTAC's Ford sources say the Explorer will get four engine choices... ...The fourth engine will be a hybrid powertrain another sop to the police market but it could have "better electric range than current Energi-based Ford vehicles." The hybrid will also use the 10-speed auto.

Of course, talk of a rear-wheel drive, Fusion-sized platform built for big power numbers has enthusiasts wondering what kinds of sedans or coupes could go on it. If such sedans come, they'll likely be long-wheelbase Lincolns headed to China. But there's no reason to stop dreaming about more driftable possibilities.

hbmf3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #86 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
0% chance it happens for a refresh. A redesign....maybe, but not the refresh.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #87 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Ford Falcon

Here's my newest theory:

Farley said Mustang and F-150 would both gain hybrids for 2020 (I assumed model year, but I suppose that could've been calendar year).

My prediction extrapolates from that:

-Mustang would be all new for 2020 (again, I'm not certain whether thats MY or CY), riding on CD6, which we know will be RWD and hybrid capable (at minimum). PD has said 2021 for next-gen Mustang, so maybe Farley meant CALENDAR year 2020, not MODEL year 2020.

-this timeline also corresponds with a next-gen "MKZ" timeline which will also ride on CD6. My thought is that the next "MKZ" (insert name here) will be moved to FRAP, putting Lincoln sedan production in one location on the same platform.

-So at that point, you're already retooling the plant for 2 vehicles that will ride on the same CD6 platform (Mustang, MKZ replacement).....you won't leave CD4 capability (Continental) there just to have it, you'd rip it all up and optimize it for CD6 for all 3 vehicles at the plant at the same time.

-which means pulling ahead Continental's redesign from 2023MY to 2020 (MY or CY), and adding suicide doors to the new model, making the scoop in the original post correct in a sense (just getting the 'refresh' part wrong, but the timing is when a refresh would've taken place).

----

A further theory is that the AV to be produced at FRAP will also ride on CD6. Which can also be supported by Hau Thai Tang's comments in the video in this thread that their AV ventures in the short term will be hybrids (since CD6 is hybrid capable).
2b2, pffan1990, hbmf3 and 1 others like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #88 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

other than F-series, vans, & 3rd world(little/cheap-as-poss)things-with-wheels;

I see a Fwd structure for Fusion/Edge3row & smallER ....down to B-ish,
cD6 for Mustang-and-Larger cars & Cuvs ....just shy of Navigator in some dimensions,
T7 for more than just Bronco/Ranger/Everest ... ... and that's IT??

I hope electrification works with those, not a whole 'nother architecture
edit/*AND*
wish I could figure out factory usage

post #89 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Arrow Re: Ford lineup to change, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Here's my newest theory:

Farley said Mustang and F-150 would both gain hybrids for 2020 (I assumed model year, but I suppose that could've been calendar year).

-Mustang would be all new for 2020 (again, I'm not certain whether thats MY or CY), riding on CD6, which we know will be RWD and hybrid capable (at minimum). PD has said 2021 for next-gen Mustang, so maybe Farley meant CALENDAR year 2020, not MODEL year 2020.

-this timeline also corresponds with a next-gen "MKZ" timeline which will also ride on CD6. My thought is that the next "MKZ" (insert name here) will be moved to FRAP, putting Lincoln sedan production in one location on the same platform.

-So at that point, you're already retooling the plant for 2 vehicles that will ride on the same CD6 platform (Mustang, MKZ replacement).....you won't leave CD4 capability (Continental) there just to have it, you'd rip it all up and optimize it for CD6 for all 3 vehicles at the plant at the same time.

-which means pulling ahead Continental's redesign from 2023MY to 2020 (MY or CY), and adding suicide doors to the new model, making the scoop in the original post correct in a sense (just getting the 'refresh' part wrong, but the timing is when a refresh would've taken place).

----

A further theory is that the AV to be produced at FRAP will also ride on CD6. Which can also be supported by Hau Thai Tang's comments in the video in this thread that their AV ventures in the short term will be hybrids (since CD6 is hybrid capable).
Well done.

post #90 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Here's my newest theory:

----

There is zero chance that Lincoln would dump that kind of money into Continental and then completely replace it 3 years later. They need at least 6-7 years on a major investment like that, anything less would be an unprecedented level of waste for a company that can't afford it, especially on segments that are not thriving.
ehaase likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page