Ford Flex

Re: Ford Invests $350 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
yes - and that IS in the OG post
but
I don't see how accepting 17my orders LATER will help reduce inventory,
to do that they'd need to halt production, imho
What I meant was keeping the end date where it was would help clear out inventory before the new MY arrived.
2b2 likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
So I heard ford took the GM joint venture 9 speed and spent money turning it into a 8 speed to save a few quarters. This is the dumbest thing I have heard in a very long time.
Did NOT see that coming. That probably accounts for the delay relative to GM.

Once we get GM's new trucks, there won't be a single reason to even consider a Ford unless you need a van. I've never seen Ford in such a weak competitive position relative to GM, at least at the domestic level. The gap is growing so fast. I hope it's brief. I do have more confidence in Ford's corporate structure and efficiencies but it's good we have some major shakeups.

In any case, Ford really has to earn some confidence back and 'saving money' at the expense of a competitive vehicle is the ultimate sin and this one is just too obvious.

Last edited by Assimilator; 05-23-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

so ya snuck-in the Link, huh Biker
Quote:
So I heard ford took the GM joint venture 9 speed and spent money turning it into a 8 speed to save a few quarters. This is the dumbest thing I have heard in a very long time.
Quote:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...on-in-michigan
The memo, dated last June, said the eight-speed will begin production in October.
The transmission is based on the nine-speed developed with General Motors, according to a source with knowledge of the company’s plans. Ford removed a gear to save on costs and improve performance, said the source, who requested anonymity discussing internal plans.
Ford to build an 8-speed transmission in Michigan
Automotive News
- Michael Martinez - May 22, 2017

DETROIT — The gearbox Ford Motor Co. is spending $350 million to add to its Livonia transmission plant in suburban Detroit will be a front-wheel-drive eight-speed, according to an internal company memo obtained by Automotive News.

The memo, dated last June, said the eight-speed will begin production in October.

The transmission is based on the nine-speed developed with General Motors, according to a source with knowledge of the company’s plans. Ford removed a gear to save on costs and improve performance, said the source, who requested anonymity discussing internal plans.

Ford and GM have also collaborated on a 10-speed for rear-wheel-drive vehicles, which Ford has used in its F-150 pickup and Raptor performance truck. Ford’s 10-speed is built in Livonia.

In a statement, Ford said the transmission "will provide customers better-performing, more fuel-efficient vehicles. It will share software, design elements and manufacturing processes with the 10-speed and other future transmissions."

Ford last week said the investment — part of its 2015 contract with the UAW — would result in a fwd transmission with similar components to the 10-speed, but declined to provide further details.

“We’ll have more to say about that at a future date,” spokeswoman Kelli Felker wrote in an email.

The addition of the eight-speed will create or retain 800 jobs, although Ford said most of those will be filled by current employees. It expects to begin adding jobs late this year, with most coming next year and in 2019.

“We remain committed to American manufacturing and investing in our people and facilities,” Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of the Americas, said in a statement. “Even as the industry’s largest employer of hourly workers in the United States and biggest producer of American-made vehicles, we believe it is important to continue investing right here in our home market.”

Ford in its 2015 UAW deal vowed to invest $1.8 billion in the plant and add three transmissions. Last year, it announced a $1.4 billion investment to make the 10-speed.

The plant employs about 1,800 hourly workers.
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

wonder if they'll still make a 9speed version?
like:
- for Awd
- for Energis
- for LINCOLN
?

...as discussed elsewhere
the ZF 9speed has a terrible reputation (afaik) for constantly hunting for gears and
(iirc) frequent THUNKS - dunno if only certain gear-changes

edit
crossreference: "Peeking Inside The GM/Ford Transverse Nine Speed Transmission" thread
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 05-24-2017 at 03:20 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
wonder if they'll still make a 9speed version?
like:
- for Awd
- for Energis
- for LINCOLN
?

...as discussed elsewhere
the ZF 9speed has a terrible reputation (afaik) for constantly hunting for gears and
(iirc) frequent THUNKS - dunno if only certain gear-changes
That's what I was thinking. The 8-speed making it's way to being standard, and a 9-speed as an optional upgrade with a version for hybrid/Energi models. Which would indicate that 9-speed could be standard for luxury Lincoln models?

In a statement, Ford said the transmission "will provide customers better-performing, more fuel-efficient vehicles. It will share software, design elements and manufacturing processes with the 10-speed and other future transmissions."

BTW....Performance oriented BMW offers 8-speed transmissions. More luxury oriented MB has a 9-speed.

Honda is not having much luck with the ZF 9-speed in the Pilot

Honda lurches ahead with pesky 9-speedtransmission

Then there was this..

Automotive supplier ZF is recalling a control sensor found on nine-speed automatic transmissions used in over 500,000 vehicles. Fiat Chrysler, Honda and Land Rover models are affected; the automakers are responsible for issuing recalls for individual vehicles that use the transmission, and they will perform necessary repairs at dealerships.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...#ixzz4hwwwYgz2
2b2 likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:12 AM
Ford Ka

Every time a company makes an investment, job opportunities are created while still retaining current jobs. There are however changes that employees need to adapt too and the transition period could take up a long time if changes are huge. However, usually such a corporate move would mean more benefits for everyone, the company and its employees too.

Rowan Webb

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Did NOT see that coming. That probably accounts for the delay relative to GM.

Once we get GM's new trucks, there won't be a single reason to even consider a Ford unless you need a van. I've never seen Ford in such a weak competitive position relative to GM, at least at the domestic level. The gap is growing so fast. I hope it's brief. I do have more confidence in Ford's corporate structure and efficiencies but it's good we have some major shakeups.

In any case, Ford really has to earn some confidence back and 'saving money' at the expense of a competitive vehicle is the ultimate sin and this one is just too obvious.
Exaggerate much? Come on.....

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
If it's physically shorter I wonder if they can drop it in smaller Ford models.

Last edited by AM222; 05-24-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page