Dominos & Ford: Self Driving Pizza Delivery - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Ford Flex

Re: Dominos & Ford: Self Driving Pizza Delivery

Just thinking about my drive home yesterday, and how a driverless car would have reponded to three situations.

1. Mail truck stopping at each resident mailbox to deliver (would it pass or be stuck behind)
2. Trash truck blocking and half blocking lane. Trashman hand signal for me to pass (no idea what it would do)
3. Driver double parked, waiting for someone, no hazard lights on. (will it cross into oncoming lane to proceed)

And one more this morning.

Stalled car at stop sign. hood up, but no hazard lights again. (I had to wait for clear, move to oncoming lane, and then proceed. Lord knows what a driverless car would do)
2b2 likes this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Ford Explorer

There are so, so many scenarios that will challenge autonomous engineers. I honestly don't know how they will handle them. But, I am glad Ford does not plan on sitting on the sidelines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Ford Explorer

duplicate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wingsnut; 09-03-2017 at 03:47 PM.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ins1der View Post
Self driving pizza delivery? I'm getting more and more terrified by the world we live in every single day...
Do you feel safer with 18 year old teenage boys rushing around to deliver?

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:20 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

dunno if autonoM.O.U.S.E. vehicles (or drones) are vulnerable to laser-pointers
but
Attached Images
File Type: jpg road-signs.jpg (24.6 KB, 17 views)

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Just trying to figure this out.

It's got to be quite expensive for Ford to offer a custom low volume vehicle the load it up with self driving tech just to deliver $10 pizzas. A pizza delivery person can earn $15k full time, and the vehicle will have to cost the pizza company at least 3 times that much, along with vehicle maintenance. While at the same time having to hire someone to manage the self driving car remotely. So not only does the delivery driver lose his job, but he loses his tips as well. While the customer has to get dressed, leave their apartment, go down stairs, out the door, and out to the street or parking lot to get their 'delivered' pizza.

Where is the upside for the consumer?

It's just interesting that Ford's focus is eliminating the jobs of delivery drivers, instead of offering EVs that cut the long term cost per mile and maintenance.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:51 PM
Ford Kuga

It's mostly a proof of concept than a real business plan, they aren't getting into the Pizza delivery business but it's a scalable real world example to test out Autonomous technology...or to at least showcase that Ford is working on it. They just had another press-push today to highlight the work they are doing, focusing now on Atlanta since it's the most congested city in the US which is where Ford wants to test the tech next.

It's amazing how many companies are duplicating research on autonomous technology right now.
SP1966 likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-27-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Ford Explorer

I have a HUGE issue with this...

... Domino's pizza SUCKS!!!

Back when I was a young Jarhead fresh out of boot camp and four of us could order two extra large pizzas for $10 it was tolerable. If this is what Ford considers to be a quality partner then I fully understand how they ended up behind the 8-ball once again after having the world by the balls.

*Mostly kidding, except about the Domino's sucks part.
Bloggin and Assimilator like this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
It's mostly a proof of concept than a real business plan, they aren't getting into the Pizza delivery business but it's a scalable real world example to test out Autonomous technology...or to at least showcase that Ford is working on it. They just had another press-push today to highlight the work they are doing, focusing now on Atlanta since it's the most congested city in the US which is where Ford wants to test the tech next.

It's amazing how many companies are duplicating research on autonomous technology right now.
The duplication of investment dollars in autonomous tech is insane, but competition is never a bad thing IMO.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post

Interesting...I guess since actual consumers are not too interested in actually riding in driverless car, Hackett included, it's just driving around merchandise. I think it's going to be a long, long time before consumers are willing to sit in a car without a steering wheel or brake/accelerator peddles and give up ALL control of the vehicle. I think the race to autonomy should take a back seat to the race to full EV vehicles. 'Some' automakers just might be putting the horse before the cart.

Just doing the math, offering full EV drivetrains for commercial and consumers offers greater drivability and financial benefits than autonomy with old school ICE or old school hybrid where both still brings with it the cost of maintenance and additional design/manufacturing costs.

Tesla has the right plan....offer full EV technology and let the consumer benefit from that, then add autonomy and slowly allow the customer to acclimate. But I do understand the ICE manufacturers have ICE models to sell today, but new models should be full EV so the consumer has that benefit, then add autonomy as consumers gain a comfort level or actually ask for it.

Another interesting thought......are consumers actually asking for autonomy?
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page