Dominos & Ford: Self Driving Pizza Delivery - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Re: Dominos & Ford: Self Driving Pizza Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The duplication of investment dollars in autonomous tech is insane, but competition is never a bad thing IMO.
Clearly for autonomous vehicles to work long term, all vehicles will need to share the same self driving tech, software and network. This is a safety issue where the expectations of the consumer will be that they all work exactly the same. Can you imagine the rental car nightmares when rental cars from each manufacturer has a different autonomous software package and behaves differently, even differently from the consumers own vehicle. How scary and frustrating that will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:23 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Go outside the house in a cold winter nigth to pick the pizza from the car? Ummmmmm...

Where is the phone number of Pizza Hut?....

2b2 likes this.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Clearly for autonomous vehicles to work long term, all vehicles will need to share the same self driving tech, software and network. This is a safety issue where the expectations of the consumer will be that they all work exactly the same. Can you imagine the rental car nightmares when rental cars from each manufacturer has a different autonomous software package and behaves differently, even differently from the consumers own vehicle. How scary and frustrating that will be.
I don't at all see all vehicles using the same software as necessary or even likely. I do expect that as the technology matures there will be laws regarding how they operate, possibly including a requirement that they cooperate wirelessly, but manufacturers are going to have their own implementations. I see it playing out much like it does in the tech world where standards are established, and individual companies develop their own products meet, and sometimes exceed those standards.

Any attempt to force a single implementation would have to happen now, and be financed by governments. Once the tech matures and all these companies have invested in their own tech you're simply not going to be able to pick one, force all other companies to use that while thumbing your nose at their development expenses.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Ford Kuga

There are very different approaches to Autonomous Driving tech, Tesla does not use LIDAR and Musk firmly believes LIDAR is a dead-end while the rest of the industry is very dependent on LIDAR in their designs. It's not exactly clear how Tesla intends to go fully autonomous without LIDAR however, right now it's mostly just an advanced cruise control system. The problem with LIDAR is that until it's solid state, it can't be well integrated into a car without the absurd top-hat and the enormous energy consumption from that type of system. All I personally want right now is what Tesla is doing but nobody else is able to deliver it, instead they are going for Full Autonomy.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-28-2018 at 04:59 PM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
There are very different approaches to Autonomous Driving tech, Tesla does not use LIDAR and Musk firmly believes LIDAR is a dead-end while the rest of the industry is very dependent on LIDAR in their designs. It's not exactly clear how Tesla intends to go fully autonomous without LIDAR however, right now it's mostly just an advanced cruise control system. The problem with LIDAR is that until it's solid state, it can't be well integrated into a car without the absurd top-hat and the enormous energy consumption from that type of system. All I personally want right now is what Tesla is doing but nobody else is able to deliver it, instead they are going for Full Autonomy.
Exactly.....it's like the auto industry forgot to ask consumers what they wanted. Or maybe they did and decided their focus was on commercial use, and put all their development dollars there. But still forgetting that consumers still don't want to get into a vehicle, alone, with no driver, controlled by software, with no steering wheel or peddles, that will be on the road with other sometimes crazy drivers. However, AutoPilot and SuperCruise are more desirable autonomy tech options for consumers to give up a bit of control as they feel comfortable, and take back control when not.

And yes, Tesla has done a great job with AutoPilot offering enough autonomy to be useful, and enough driver control to be comfortable.

I want to sit in the drivers seat of my Model 3, have it drive me to work if I choose to, park itself at work or at home. Pick me up when I am ready, and I drive myself or let my car drive me where I want to go. Ii get to choose and ALWAYS have the ability to take control. I want it to drive me out in the evening, and take me home if I get sleepy. I want it to drive the long hours on a road trip, or handle the rush hour traffic, while I get to dive the curves on a scenic route.
2b2 likes this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
...I want to sit in the drivers seat of my Model 3, have it drive me to work if I choose to, park itself at work or at home. Pick me up when I am ready, and I drive myself or let my car drive me where I want to go. Ii get to choose and ALWAYS have the ability to take control. I want it to drive me out in the evening, and take me home if I get sleepy. I want it to drive the long hours on a road trip, or handle the rush hour traffic, while I get to dive the curves on a scenic route.
I firmly believe that what you want^, Bloggin will NEVER happen, canNOT happen...sorta:
That the only safe way for driver-less vehicles, is to build a central-processing-controller CITY/highway &
OutLaw any humans from driving within those environs.
So
you'll HAVE TO drive in rural/ex-burbs but nowhere else.
Everything not forbidden will be mandatory
& vice-versa.
falcon lover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I firmly believe that what you want^, Bloggin will NEVER happen, canNOT happen...sorta:
That the only safe way for driver-less vehicles, is to build a central-processing-controller CITY/highway &
OutLaw any humans from driving within those environs.
So
you'll HAVE TO drive in rural/ex-burbs but nowhere else.
Everything not forbidden will be mandatory
& vice-versa.

You are rigth. When (and where) autonomous vehicles will be approved , the vehicles driven by humans need to be banned...

Last edited by falcon lover; 03-01-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page