2019 Ford Ranger - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Ford Ka

Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I like what I see so far. Handsome truck. I am sure it will give the competition serious concerns.
GM and Toyota are laughing at Ford for offering only a 4 cylinder!!! My family was a 4 generation Ford dealer so I have standing to say that this is the worst decision by Ford since the Edsel. I know. We had an Edsel dealership. It's a good looking truck with no guts. Designed by wimps that used to sell furniture. Why not the 2.7 or the 3.2 diesel already in the Transit here and in the Ranger oversees? Why spend all that money to fail? This tell me that the Bronco will also be a failure in inspiration. No Henry Ford steel in backbones of Ford's management.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncarguy View Post
GM and Toyota are laughing at Ford for offering only a 4 cylinder!!! My family was a 4 generation Ford dealer so I have standing to say that this is the worst decision by Ford since the Edsel. I know. We had an Edsel dealership. It's a good looking truck with no guts. Designed by wimps that used to sell furniture. Why not the 2.7 or the 3.2 diesel already in the Transit here and in the Ranger oversees? Why spend all that money to fail? This tell me that the Bronco will also be a failure in inspiration. No Henry Ford steel in backbones of Ford's management.
I think the 2.3T's torque advantage will make it more than competitive with GM's NA V6, and the 10-speed will make the most of the power available. That said, the 2.7T should be offered as an option on upper trim levels, and will be an absolute necessity on the Raptor.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncarguy View Post
The last Ranger sold here had a 2.3L I4 with 154ftlbs, and the big 4.0L V6 had about 238ftlbs, and only 5 speeds if I recall correctly.

This new Ranger has ~350ftlbs and 10 speeds, and is much smoother and quieter and more efficient than all the above.

Your family does not appear to know much about the products they sell.
tagorgia likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Ford Explorer

I am completely OK with only a 2.3L being offered, as I loathe the companies current direction of adding complexity of 6 powertrains in a truck.
The 2.3L is perfect, IMO. Of course the Raptor will get a bigger engine, when available. So why then offer it on a non Raptor.

And I can't speak to the Diesel, however, I would prefer seeing either a PHEV Ranger which would be a perfect add on to the boosted I4, or, eventually another Ranger BEV.

FordSUVfan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
It was Bill Ford who said it.
In a way it's still different.

-cropped image from ford.com
Compared to the RoTW version, the US version has a separate frame-mounted front bumper (chrome in some) and a double power bulge aluminum hood.

-cropped/removed lens distortion, original image from Motor1.

I think it's a plus that the styling of the Ranger in the US and RoTW is more unified than a Chevy Colorado for example which has an entirely different front and bed design for the US version.
I really like that top pic. I love the chrome steel bumper too added for NA.
Meh, looks great as is and America has not seen it yet, so there is no change needed. Change for the sake of it, is not always the best idea.

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
...The 2.3L is perfect, IMO. Of course the Raptor will get a bigger engine, when available. So why then offer it on a non Raptor?
Why offer it in a non Raptor? Because not everybody is going to want a wider, lifted Raptor to get more power. I certainly wouldn't. Plus, it gives Ford something GM, Toyota, Jeep and Honda don't/won't have. The development work is already done, so I say why not?
70 Stang likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Why offer it in a non Raptor? Because not everybody is going to want a wider, lifted Raptor to get more power. I certainly wouldn't. Plus, it gives Ford something GM, Toyota, Jeep and Honda don't/won't have. The development work is already done, so I say why not?
Again, I can't comment on if Diesel is coming, and I would be fine if it did as that is a unique customer, but more gas is simply not needed. The NA I4 engine choice is more power and torque than the biggest engine available globally, which don't forget is only with 6 speeds. So I am sure that the work capacity for NA Ranger will easily best the global unit, which bests the current competition btw. And again, more power is coming for Raptor, which will be a hit no doubt. So to that tiny single percent digit that asks 'why not', I will have to defer that question to similar questions that will surely ask....'why no 5.0L or why no 6.7L or why no new 7.3L.....and on and on.

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
The power differential from 2.3EB -> 2.7EB is only 15HP and 30ftlbs. The bigger issue may well be NVH improvements that would come with the V6.
2b2 and FordSUVfan like this.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Ford Kuga

If Ford can replace V8s with V6s in the F-150 then I'm pretty sure it can get away with an I4 that happens to destroy the V6s in the competition. I'm sure we're going to get more fake engine noise to mask it however.

Styling is fine, almost no personality or "culture" to this truck and it shares no visual DNA with the F-Series which is probably a good thing for F-Series. If you check out a Tacoma you will see it has evolved into something completely unique to the midsize truck market, tons of thoughtful designs and features similar to a Wrangler or even F-150 that come from decades of customer fandom. The Chevy and Fords are equally boring but at least the Ford has the better powertrain.

Last edited by Assimilator; 01-14-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Ford Explorer

Good points on power SP, but on NVH I will only suggest to those who have not experienced it yet, that today's boosted I4 is infinitely smoother and quieter than the course 2.3L Ranger back in the day. First off, you barely have to rev it to make power, especially when channeled through 10 gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page