2019 Ford Ranger - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: 2019 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Again, I can't comment on if Diesel is coming, and I would be fine if it did as that is a unique customer, but more gas is simply not needed. The NA I4 engine choice is more power and torque than the biggest engine available globally, which don't forget is only with 6 speeds. So I am sure that the work capacity for NA Ranger will easily best the global unit, which bests the current competition btw. And again, more power is coming for Raptor, which will be a hit no doubt. So to that tiny single percent digit that asks 'why not', I will have to defer that question to similar questions that will surely ask....'why no 5.0L or why no 6.7L or why no new 7.3L.....and on and on.
Globally isn't the truck-loving, power-living US of A. And some of these trucks will be used for work. => Capability matters. If you think some American consumers won't walk away from the Ranger because it doesn't offer a 6-cylinder option, you're mistaken. I'll wager my Marketing/Consumer Behavior degree on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The power differential from 2.3EB -> 2.7EB is only 15HP and 30ftlbs. The bigger issue may well be NVH improvements that would come with the V6.
It's not just about the power. The character of the engines is completely different. Drive the MKC with the 2.3T then hop in an MKX with the 2.7T and there is absolutely no comparison ... and that despite substantial weight penalty.

Two buddies each bought an F-150 last year. Both went into their test drives undecided on powertrain. One purchased the 3.5 EB, the other the 5.0. They both found the 2.7T adequate, but despite a limited need for hauling or towing, adequate wouldn't cut it with either of these guys. The argument about who purchased the "right" engine continues to this day, and I suspect it always will. Choice, as they say, is a beautiful thing.
2b2 likes this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

Last edited by HotRod; 01-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
If Ford can replace V8s with V6s in the F-150 then I'm pretty sure it can get away with an I4 that happens to destroy the V6s in the competition.
The turbo sixes didn't replace the V8, they supplemented it. Ford knows removing the 5.0 from the lineup would be a mistake.

Rod

2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Ford Focus ZX

The other grille option. That's three total, right?

wingsnut likes this.

Rod

2017 GLC300
2016 GTI

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Ford Kuga

Garage

All those pictures with people in them do a great job at showing that it is indeed small. To me, this is a great thing. Considering I've never seen one of these in person, I'm looking forward to getting a tangible sense of scale next week when I fly to Detroit. Will be there Fri-Mon!

Love the grilles and the steel bumper. This is such a welcome addition to the lineup. Really compelling.
wingsnut and 2b2 like this.

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Ford Focus

We waited so long for a reskined version of the ranger from 2015 which was a reskin from the 2011

Just like the transit, much like the focus, ecosport and the mustang.

You just can't make this stuff up.
2b2 likes this.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Globally isn't the truck-loving, power-living US of A. And some of these trucks will be used for work. => Capability matters. If you think some American consumers won't walk away from the Ranger because it doesn't offer a 6-cylinder option, you're mistaken. I'll wager my Marketing/Consumer Behavior degree on it.

It's not just about the power. The character of the engines is completely different. Drive the MKC with the 2.3T then hop in an MKX with the 2.7T and there is absolutely no comparison ... and that despite substantial weight penalty.

Two buddies each bought an F-150 last year. Both went into their test drives undecided on powertrain. One purchased the 3.5 EB, the other the 5.0. They both found the 2.7T adequate, but despite a limited need for hauling or towing, adequate wouldn't cut it with either of these guys. The argument about who purchased the "right" engine continues to this day, and I suspect it always will. Choice, as they say, is a beautiful thing.
That's all true and fine and good in the past.
But, Ranger is aligning itself to the future. A big part of that future is a huge reduction in ICE. So Ford will have to take the absolutely small gamble that in the interim, a few people seeking a V6 will not like the Raptor.
FordSUVfan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
... a few people seeking a V6 will not like the Raptor.
More than a few I'm afraid. It's like saying Mustang buyers would either settle for the base 4-cylinder, or step up to the Shelby if they want a V8. You shouldn't need to buy a specialized model to get more power -- especially not in a product many will use for work.

Sorry, I won't be swayed from my thinking on this particular subject. Probably best we just agree to disagree.
70 Stang likes this.

Rod

2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
So I am sure that the work capacity for NA Ranger will easily best the global unit, which bests the current competition.
The current RoTW Ranger's 3.2 diesel torque figure is 347 lb-ft 1,750-2,500 rpm. To best that, i'm guessing the US-market Ranger's EcoBoost will be based on the Mustang version of the 2.3 EcoBoost which has 350 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm (93 octane).

Now i'm curious if the Everest SUV-style coil-spring rear suspension of the US-market Ranger can match the work load capacity of the RoTW Ranger's leaf springs. If i recall in the Everest, coil springs were used to improve ride & comfort.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
More than a few I'm afraid. It's like saying Mustang buyers would either settle for the base 4-cylinder, or step up to the Shelby if they want a V8. You shouldn't need to buy a specialized model to get more power -- especially not in a product many will use for work.

Sorry, I won't be swayed from my thinking on this particular subject. Probably best we just agree to disagree.
I think the difference is the V8-sound is part of the Mustang's iconic image. In the case of the Ranger, the V6 sound isn't. Ford (well Hau Thai-Tang) claims the 2.3 EcoBoost is on par with the competition's V6 engines. Ford is probably going for best-in-class torque numbers for a gasoline engine since it's is a pickup.

In the Explorer, the 2.3 EcoBoost makes 280 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque
In the 2018 Mustang, the 2.3 EcoBoost makes 310 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque (93 octane)

The V6 gasoline engines from its competitors produce less than 290 lb-ft of torque.

Last edited by AM222; 01-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Ford Explorer

AM222, there is also the HP rating, which the Diesels can't touch.

HotRod, I don't expect to sway your thinking, I am only trying to remind you that electrification will be a big part of future Ford products. And your analogy about Mustang engine options might have worked, if Ranger I4 and V6 powers were not so close that it does not really make sense.

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:57 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncarguy View Post
...Designed by wimps that used to sell furniture...
I for one will NEVER cut Mr.Hatchett *any*slack* BUT
he had NOTHING to do with the styling NOR engineering of the USRanger

my GRIPE is:
whichever Ford-suit said it'd have different front styling needs a dictionary / eye exam / truth-implant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncarguy View Post
...Why not the 2.7 or the 3.2 diesel already in the Transit here and in the Ranger oversees? Why spend all that money to fail? This tell me that the Bronco will also be a failure in inspiration. No Henry Ford steel in backbones of Ford's management.
I'm also worried about the Bronco
OTOH
since this initial Ranger destroyed my hopes (NOT for the trucks abilities) but for a "global hop-scotch" intro For-The-Moment,
I have to fall-back to hoping the Ranger gets some Bronco-Magic when that comes out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yurp-vs-US.jpg (145.3 KB, 70 views)
HotRod likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page