Ford Releases First Image Of Mustang-Inspired Mach 1 Electric SUV - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Ford Kuga

Re: Ford Releases First Image Of Mustang-Inspired Mach 1 Electric SUV

Now you see why Ford is cancelling the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:50 PM
FIN Staff Member

What concerns me about Ford is that OBVIOUS decisions are seen as 'revelations' for them. First it was not already common sense to add a large display screen on a new EV that was to launch in 2020. Were they really going to install a small 6 or 8 inch display??

Now it's just been two weeks that Ford figured out that a 'compliance' EV was not the right direction based on the competition and what consumers are actually buying. Really???

And still they are talking about a Mustang-ish performance SUV. When what is completely obvious is that Ford needs to build a Mustang EV Grand Coupe. Low to the ground to benefit from all the attributes of EV performance technology. Any and all attempts to make this vehicle an SUV will take away from it's performance/aerodynamics/range, etc.

And looking at the image, it looks like Ford is doing just that. It's no SUV but more next gen Mustang EV. Which should offer an EV platform for a Lincoln grand coupe as well.

Just hoping Ford makes the right decision this time, and we don't have to settle for a vehicle that is less than it should be......again.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:11 AM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
If that image is correct to the eventual production version then I'm not sure how this passes as a crossover.
Ford passes off the KA, Fiesta, and Focus hatches with a couple inch suspension lift as Crossovers. Why would this surprise you? As long as it has roof rack, slightly raised suspension and edged with plastic cladding shes a CUV I suppose the trunk lid and rear window will need to be hatch like functional as well.
SP1966 likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
What concerns me about Ford is that OBVIOUS decisions are seen as 'revelations' for them. First it was not already common sense to add a large display screen on a new EV that was to launch in 2020. Were they really going to install a small 6 or 8 inch display??

Now it's just been two weeks that Ford figured out that a 'compliance' EV was not the right direction based on the competition and what consumers are actually buying. Really???

And still they are talking about a Mustang-ish performance SUV. When what is completely obvious is that Ford needs to build a Mustang EV Grand Coupe. Low to the ground to benefit from all the attributes of EV performance technology. Any and all attempts to make this vehicle an SUV will take away from it's performance/aerodynamics/range, etc.

And looking at the image, it looks like Ford is doing just that. It's no SUV but more next gen Mustang EV. Which should offer an EV platform for a Lincoln grand coupe as well.

Just hoping Ford makes the right decision this time, and we don't have to settle for a vehicle that is less than it should be......again.
^ all of this. As I have said before, it's as if no one at Ford ever drove an electric car. ****, it should have been/be mandatory that everyone working for the Edison Project drive an EV. How can you build something you know nothing about? I'm excited for the Evos/Mach if they'll actually build it. I'd love to see Ford mix it up with the luxury brands who are bringing out boring generic CUVs for their first efforts. Hey, look an E-Tron! Wait, no, that's a Q, uhm, 3? 5? 8? Gosh, look an I-Pa...wait, no that's an E-Pace? Wow! Look! A Tie-Kaaaaaahhhhhnnnn, wait, or is that a Paname...no, that's a Tie-Kaaaahhhhhhhnn.

Let's go, Ford. Sharpish.
falcon lover likes this.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
Ford passes off the KA, Fiesta, and Focus hatches with a couple inch suspension lift as Crossovers. Why would this surprise you? As long as it has roof rack, slightly raised suspension and edged with plastic cladding shes a CUV I suppose the trunk lid and rear window will need to be hatch like functional as well.
Hopefully it is more of a chunky-A7 with a slightly more useable hatch area. The A7 is a little droopy for my taste.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Now you see why Ford is cancelling the car.
I still think a lot of the sales has to do with the fact that Fords cars are all older than dirt. Fiesta and Taurus have been on sale since 2010, Focus 2011, and Fusion since 2012 with barely any changes. Yet the Japanese brands have no issues selling cars. **** even Subaru and Mazda are keeping cars and and they sell nowhere near as many as Ford. Ford has just been so unwilling to put effort into anything thats not an F-Series and now its biting them in the butt, so rather than address it they are giving up.
scford58 and glyphics like this.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I still think a lot of the sales has to do with the fact that Fords cars are all older than dirt. Fiesta and Taurus have been on sale since 2010, Focus 2011, and Fusion since 2012 with barely any changes. Yet the Japanese brands have no issues selling cars. **** even Subaru and Mazda are keeping cars and and they sell nowhere near as many as Ford. Ford has just been so unwilling to put effort into anything thats not an F-Series and now its biting them in the butt, so rather than address it they are giving up.
They are too having issues.....sedan sales across all brands are dropping like a rock - even new completely redesigned models.
wingsnut and falcon lover like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:25 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
It has more to do with the fact that both cars are mediocre. For instance, there's nothing full-size about the Taurus' disgraceful backseat. You're better off buying an Edge or Explorer.

Also, people don't realize CAFE and the Gas Guzzler Tax mostly killed the true large sedans and wagons. Their "full-size" replacements were merely EWB intermediates, but they did not fulfill the needs of the consumer. Trucks were exempt, so the 4-door family SUV was born.
ehaase likes this.

Last edited by The Handler; 09-08-2018 at 02:07 AM.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Handler View Post
It has more to do with the fact that both cars are mediocre. For instance, there's nothing full-size about the Taurus' disgraceful backseat. You're better off buying an Edge or Explorer.

Also, people don't realize CAFE and the Gas Guzzler Tax mostly killed the true large sedans and wagons. Their "full-size" replacements were merely EWB intermediates, but they did not fulfill the needs of the consumer. Trucks were exempt, so the 4-door family SUV was born.
I have been driving my Taurus for the last 18 months, and I have to say, the Taurus back seat offers a ton of hip space, class leading head room (both very important), and the knee space to the back seat is pretty good. I am 5'11" and have plenty of room. Certainly not class leading, but I think people are propagating a rumor that is not entirely true.
falcon lover and glyphics like this.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Focus RS WRC

Sales of Camri and Accord from 2015-2017 dropped slightly less than 10% and Honda could have stemmed that tide with better incentives and something they avoid, fleet sales. Hardly dropping like a rock. Fusion over the same time span dropped 35%. Yes it is a downward trend but I think that rumors of the death of the sedan are slightly exaggerated.

Automakers certainly took advantage of the CAFE gas-guzzler exemption for trucks. Suddenly there was a whole new cohort addicted to the driving posture called "king-of-the-road." Just as suddenly it became almost impossible for sedan drivers to see the road ahead of the growing number of bricks out there. Many of those bought SUVs just so they could see the road ahead. Now those things are everywhere, bigger and heavier and guzzling more gas but still only carrying 1.2 persons on average.

I can only hope for big things from the Mach 1 and its siblings. SUVs are getting shorter and shorter as they evolve. I have a feeling that sedans will make a comeback. They may be taller and less sleek but this two-box stuff is boring as ****. Plus you can't hide stuff in the trunk of SUVs. You know, like dead bodies and contraband; the usual stuff.
falcon lover and 70 Stang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page