Ford Inside News banner

Ford Releases First Image Of Mustang-Inspired Mach 1 Electric SUV

17K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  5419 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Have to say, didn't look like that at Uncovered, it's a little perplexing. But it give you an idea of the wide and low style of the Mach1 compared to other Ford utilities. I like that it no longer looks like just any other Ford utility.

Ford is getting sharper and sharper with the time they have to get it right. The Mustang allusion is all making more sense as it basically becomes the foundation of their surviving performance business now that cars are extinct. I think they have a winning formula to get people to pay attention to their EV efforts.

#5 ·
Very interesting. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Hackett but this following quote gives me pause.

"Just weeks earlier, the company’s newly installed chief executive, James Hackett, pulled the plug on Ford’s first dedicated EV, due in 2020, because it was too generic, urging designers to create something that would stand out in a sea of expected plug-in cars. Instead of a “compliance car” to satisfy regulators, he said, it needed to be aspirational. In his typical probing style, he asked: “How are we going to win?”

The answer played out over the next six weeks, as Ford designers and engineers, working nights and weekends, pivoted in an entirely new direction, creating an athletic-looking, battery-powered crossover utility with a targeted range of 300 miles that could compete with high-performance plug-in models from Tesla, Porsche and Jaguar. Ripping up a design that’s six months into development is rare; turning out a new concept in a matter of weeks is virtually unheard of."

That's a rare public instance of Hackett doing exactly the right thing. Deep six the "compliance car" for an "aspirational car." Plus Ford doing a rapid changeover? I can sink my teeth into that except for one thing; he's not talking about a car but about a SUV.

Is that light I see on the eastern horizon?

#10 ·
If that image is correct to the eventual production version then I'm not sure how this passes as a crossover. It sure suggests a vehicle much lower to the ground than the Cayenne when you look at what appear to the the wheel arches in relation to the tail lights. Also consider just how massive the rear bumper would have to be below those lights if it were as tall as the Cayenne!

Also, while I understand the desire to draw upon the Mustang heritage, I just don't see how the Mustang design language can transition well to a taller crossover.

This vehicle must be a homerun for two reasons:

1. It marks Ford's entry into the full electric market. If it falls on it's face like Continental has it will be devastating to Ford's reputation.

2. It will also be the only real compliment to the Mustang in terms of Ford performance offerings. Escape and Explorer ST versions are fine, but they aren't vehicles upon which you hang your performance hat but rather are vehicles that borrow their reputation from those that do, which is the Mustang and only the Mustang moving forward. Having a legit performance electric will be a much needed boost to Ford's performance reputation!

#13 ·
If that image is correct to the eventual production version then I'm not sure how this passes as a crossover.
Ford passes off the KA, Fiesta, and Focus hatches with a couple inch suspension lift as Crossovers. Why would this surprise you? As long as it has roof rack, slightly raised suspension and edged with plastic cladding shes a CUV:wink2: I suppose the trunk lid and rear window will need to be hatch like functional as well.

Reactions: SP1966
#16 ·
I still think a lot of the sales has to do with the fact that Fords cars are all older than dirt. Fiesta and Taurus have been on sale since 2010, Focus 2011, and Fusion since 2012 with barely any changes. Yet the Japanese brands have no issues selling cars. **** even Subaru and Mazda are keeping cars and and they sell nowhere near as many as Ford. Ford has just been so unwilling to put effort into anything thats not an F-Series and now its biting them in the butt, so rather than address it they are giving up.

#12 ·
What concerns me about Ford is that OBVIOUS decisions are seen as 'revelations' for them. First it was not already common sense to add a large display screen on a new EV that was to launch in 2020. Were they really going to install a small 6 or 8 inch display??

Now it's just been two weeks that Ford figured out that a 'compliance' EV was not the right direction based on the competition and what consumers are actually buying. Really???

And still they are talking about a Mustang-ish performance SUV. When what is completely obvious is that Ford needs to build a Mustang EV Grand Coupe. Low to the ground to benefit from all the attributes of EV performance technology. Any and all attempts to make this vehicle an SUV will take away from it's performance/aerodynamics/range, etc.

And looking at the image, it looks like Ford is doing just that. It's no SUV but more next gen Mustang EV. Which should offer an EV platform for a Lincoln grand coupe as well.

Just hoping Ford makes the right decision this time, and we don't have to settle for a vehicle that is less than it should be......again.

#14 ·
^ all of this. As I have said before, it's as if no one at Ford ever drove an electric car. ****, it should have been/be mandatory that everyone working for the Edison Project drive an EV. How can you build something you know nothing about? I'm excited for the Evos/Mach if they'll actually build it. I'd love to see Ford mix it up with the luxury brands who are bringing out boring generic CUVs for their first efforts. Hey, look an E-Tron! Wait, no, that's a Q, uhm, 3? 5? 8? Gosh, look an I-Pa...wait, no that's an E-Pace? Wow! Look! A Tie-Kaaaaaahhhhhnnnn, wait, or is that a Paname...no, that's a Tie-Kaaaahhhhhhhnn.

Let's go, Ford. Sharpish.

#20 ·
Sales of Camri and Accord from 2015-2017 dropped slightly less than 10% and Honda could have stemmed that tide with better incentives and something they avoid, fleet sales. Hardly dropping like a rock. Fusion over the same time span dropped 35%. Yes it is a downward trend but I think that rumors of the death of the sedan are slightly exaggerated.

Automakers certainly took advantage of the CAFE gas-guzzler exemption for trucks. Suddenly there was a whole new cohort addicted to the driving posture called "king-of-the-road." Just as suddenly it became almost impossible for sedan drivers to see the road ahead of the growing number of bricks out there. Many of those bought SUVs just so they could see the road ahead. Now those things are everywhere, bigger and heavier and guzzling more gas but still only carrying 1.2 persons on average.

I can only hope for big things from the Mach 1 and its siblings. SUVs are getting shorter and shorter as they evolve. I have a feeling that sedans will make a comeback. They may be taller and less sleek but this two-box stuff is boring as ****. Plus you can't hide stuff in the trunk of SUVs. You know, like dead bodies and contraband; the usual stuff.

#21 ·
2018 is a different story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-with-top-north-american-car-shows-suv-shift

Here are a few article highlights:

"Deliveries of the Accord dropped 11 percent in August and dragged on Honda’s total sales, which missed analysts’ average estimate. The model named the North American Car of the Year in January has been no match for the sport utility vehicles that U.S. consumers are buying in droves. Sales of the sedan have now dropped for 10 straight months."

"Honda has company: Every major automaker is struggling mightily to move sedans during an era of booming demand for SUVs and pickups. Toyota Motor Corp.’s Camry sales cratered last month, dropping 19 percent and outweighing a strong showing for Highlander crossovers and Tacoma trucks."

"Passenger cars may have plunged to just 29 percent of the market in August, which would be an all-time low, according to Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst with AutoTrader. Five years ago, cars were 49 percent of industrywide deliveries, she said."

#22 ·
About the Taurus, Ford introduced a new Taurus but decided not to bring it to N.A. Resulting in the same old car being in our market for too many years now. This is the same problem Ford had with this model a decade or so earlier. Ford lets an excellent product die on the vine instead of keeping it fresh. Then they can't understand why that product isn't moving off lots and meeting sales goals. Sure the sedan is having a sales decline, but this problem with the Taurus started when sedans were still selling well in N.A.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury I love you and support you but you have to keep things fresh for the consumer. Including the dealership experience too. This is all IMHO of course and I only mentioned Mercury because I still miss her.

#33 ·
I sure hope the styling has changed significantly from what I have seen.
If BEV's starting to sell much faster than Ford anticipates, I trust they are preparing for that. But honestly, if gas is still where it is today in a year or two, anticipate Chevy Bolt numbers for Mach, but certainly much more for their 16 total BEV's coming by 2023, and who knows what BEV F150 numbers will be like.

#34 ·
I didn't even realize that the Mach-E is coming sooner than we thought. If it's revealed this year, I'm thinking New York Auto Show as the first press show is on April 17th, which has that Mustang connection. Would be a logical time to reveal the Mach-E considering it's 'Mustang-inspired'. But that may be too soon though. The 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show seems the likely venue to reveal it. I'm excited about this though as far as the upcoming electrics including the F-150.

#35 ·
Porsche Taycan EV sedan production has been doubled due to early order demand from 20k to 40k before any deliveries. Audi E-Tron SUV production sits at max production of 20k due to early demand. Audi has the E-Tron GT sedan EV coming with demand expected to be much higher than the Taycan.

With the key to profitable automobile production being volume, especially with EVs, and the lower riding sedan/Sportback offering all the benefits of an EV, it's no wonder that demand is higher for the sedan, with higher production capacity. Model S and Model 3 sedan are prime examples which Porsche and Audi are focused on competing with.

Which makes one wonder why Ford is still trying focused on a lower volume SUV EV from it's consumer brand, when the volume that can offer profitability is with lower riding sedans/fastback EVs. But the answer may be that Ford does not have the battery capacity to meet demand with a higher volume EV, so selecting a lower volume, more expensive SUV, reduces demand, and reduces pressure on Ford to build out battery capacity to meet that demand. It may also be because consumers have already been trained to pay $6k to $8k more for an suv that costs the manufacturer no more to produce than the sedan, and maybe some of the battery costs can be absorbed in the suv premium at low volume.

But we will see one year when ford actually has a live concept to show with specifications and then eventually pricing.

#36 ·
Ford is NOT just working an a SUV EV. How do you continue to miss that point? 16 FRACKING NEW BEV's coming in the next 2-3 years. how well they will sell, nobody knows, not even Ford. So if you know so little about their future product, how can you possibly wax eloquently about their future battery capacity?

#42 ·

It's coming for 2021 and it could look something like this.

Ford just announced its new Escape for 2020, but the launch event in Amsterdam contained additional information that most decidedly has our interest. The Blue Oval started touting an all-electric Mustang-based crossover vehicle over a year ago, but nestled in the Escape’s launch were some fresh details on the project. They were so interesting that we took it upon ourselves to commission the rendering you see above. This interpretation is based on recent information, rumors, and tips from people who’ve allegedly seen the real design.

https://www.motor1.com/news/328794/...eNr2jF3QyIvYkqp3a58ALVuNiTArCjQAQYxWM4AXbBIes

#46 ·
Here's a recent article about this. Apparently a Reddit user claims to be one of the engineers and said with certainty that there will not be a 4-door Mustang but rather the Mach-E (as he said it will be called) will be the "Mustang-inspired" electric crossover. Something Ford already said numerous times. However, the Reddit profile has been deleted. But still rather interested to read this.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27398...0-in-under-3-5-seconds-debut-late-2019-report

The photo link posted above by Andrew L is interesting too. A user on BON posted the same-above image along with what was said to be a cover of Car & Driver magazine. However, another user on BON responded that the photo came from a British magazine that had their facts wrong regarding the Mach E. They had 'Mustang-based' rather than 'inspired' and came up with the rather photoshopped renderings.

I'm thinking we may see reveal sometime by Los Angeles Auto Show later November if not sooner like the New York Auto Show in just a few days. I'm rather excited for it as long as it does not carry the Mustang name which isn't as it seems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.