Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang? - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:04 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,995
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
I think that the assumption that a Mustang-based 4-door sedan would sell in "tiny numbers" just because it is a Lincoln is the real problem at Ford. No one in (the) Ford (family) wants to see anything even marginally attractive offered in a Lincoln showroom if it's not also in a Ford showroom.

If Ford can sell a 4-door Mustang in volume at a slight premium over a Mustang, so could Lincoln IF Ford doesn't have the same model to compete with it. OK, I don't believe that's ever going to happen so where does that leave poor Lincoln? It's no wonder the Lincoln product guy resigned.

You talk like you know very good the Ford family. The next time you talk to them, send my regards to Elena.

glyphics likes this.

_________________________________________________
falcon lover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
Nihar Mazumdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 743
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Another rendering by Kieber Silva has come out on Motor1.com

https://www.motor1.com/news/275152/f...r-door-render/



Too BMW like. I'm praying if it happens, it doesn't look like that.


It should look more like this:



Nihar Mazumdar is offline  
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,830
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

I feel that for Mustang 4 door to look good, they should make it ridiculously uncomfortable with horrible egress/ingress, poor rearward visibility, lack of rear seat headroom, etc. If they give it tallish, roomy, functional space, like the red concept above, it will look like a Fusion. Not horrible, but not Mustang.
wingsnut is offline  
 
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Focus RS WRC
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 866
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I feel that for Mustang 4 door to look good, they should make it ridiculously uncomfortable with horrible egress/ingress, poor rearward visibility, lack of rear seat headroom, etc. If they give it tallish, roomy, functional space, like the red concept above, it will look like a Fusion. Not horrible, but not Mustang.
Fusion was a good looking car. It was just stuck with unfortunate FWD proportions. "Tallish, roomy, functional space ... " Sounds like you're describing the Mustang-inspired Mach1. So Ford is going to have to design a happy medium as long as Mustang is the touchstone.
glyphics is offline  
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,830
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Fusion was a good looking car. It was just stuck with unfortunate FWD proportions. "Tallish, roomy, functional space ... " Sounds like you're describing the Mustang-inspired Mach1. So Ford is going to have to design a happy medium as long as Mustang is the touchstone.
Yet those unfortunate FWD proportions enabled it to sell 3 to 4X as many vehicles as Mustang. I suspect a mid sized 4 door Fusion with RWD would have been a sales flop, relatively.
wingsnut is offline  
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Ford Focus
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Fusion was a good looking car. It was just stuck with unfortunate FWD proportions. "Tallish, roomy, functional space ... " Sounds like you're describing the Mustang-inspired Mach1. So Ford is going to have to design a happy medium as long as Mustang is the touchstone.
Yet those unfortunate FWD proportions enabled it to sell 3 to 4X as many vehicles as Mustang. I suspect a mid sized 4 door Fusion with RWD would have been a sales flop, relatively.
Yet the fusion is the one getting the axe. No one loves FWD, get over it.
Logans Run likes this.
YoungLS is offline  
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,830
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
Yet the fusion is the one getting the axe. No one loves FWD, get over it.
Really, so you believe that nobody wants FWD yet they buy it in huge relative proportions...... just because.

Amazing.

Thanks for sharing that.
wingsnut is offline  
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 AM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
falcon lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,995
Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
Yet the fusion is the one getting the axe. No one loves FWD, get over it.

No one loves FWD???? Really???? Almost the 80% of the cars and crossovers are FWD . FWD cars had many advantages over RWD cars. That is why they sell in large numbers.


RWD platforms is better for those performance cars and some luxury vehicles that need better proportions. But is not mandatory. Some luxury sedans with FWD platforms (like the Audi A8) looks and perform very good.

_________________________________________________

Last edited by falcon lover; 11-12-2018 at 03:17 AM.
falcon lover is offline  
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Ford Flex
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,270
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
Yet the fusion is the one getting the axe. No one loves FWD, get over it.
I agree to a point.


I think people will go out of their way to buy a RWD for performance, looks, and the whole experience.
People will also select AWD or 4WD over FWD due to weather and off road ability
People mostly buy FWD because it is their only option on most vehicles, and it can be cheaper to purchase. I have never heard someone say that they would buy an F-Series, Mustang, Corvette, Aston Martin, Jeep, Subaru, or Tahoe if they were FWD. People tolerate FWD, but I doubt many can say they love it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
Logans Run is offline  
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Ford Falcon
 
rmc523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,601
Re: Ford Planning 4-Door Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
I agree to a point.


I think people will go out of their way to buy a RWD for performance, looks, and the whole experience.
People will also select AWD or 4WD over FWD due to weather and off road ability
People mostly buy FWD because it is their only option on most vehicles, and it can be cheaper to purchase. I have never heard someone say that they would buy an F-Series, Mustang, Corvette, Aston Martin, Jeep, Subaru, or Tahoe if they were FWD. People tolerate FWD, but I doubt many can say they love it.
I think the vast majority of people have no idea which wheels are driving the car, and therefore don't care.

So I'd disagree with you when you say people will go out of their way to buy RWD. BUT, that said, it depends on the segment. Some segments, FWD would be unacceptable. Others (most vehicles, as evidenced by what sells) it's not a big deal, and people don't care.
falcon lover likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
rmc523 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome