Ford Inside News banner

Next Mustang to undergo global design input

11K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  falcon lover 
#1 ·
Next Mustang to undergo global design input, Ford says
Automotive News
Rick Kranz

March 1st, 2011

GENEVA -- Ford Motor Co.'s design studios worldwide will provide styling ideas for an American icon: the next generation Mustang.

"It is a common process we [now] use on every vehicle," Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president for global product development, said today at the Geneva auto show.

Ford's next-generation pony car will be the first Mustang with styling themes proposed by studios in Europe, Australia and other regions. Previously, Ford's U.S. studio was solely responsible for Mustang design.

"When we embark on a new product, particularly one that is all new, it involves all of the studios. Then J [Mays] and the design team pick the best of those themes," Kuzak told Automotive News. Mays is Ford's global design chief. Ford adopted the global design approach three years ago.

Kuzak did not say when the redesigned Mustang is due. However, industry sources say the new sports coupe will debut in the 2014 or 2015 model year.

While the final styling theme might come from outside the United States, he said, Ford's Dearborn, Mich., studio will have responsibility to turn the selected styling theme into a production vehicle.

Kuzak said the new Ranger pickup is the latest example of product cooperation undertaken by Ford's studios.

"The Ranger was done by the Australian studio with input from the European studio," Kuzak said during an interview at the show. The Ranger is the first global Ford vehicle designed by the Australian subsidiary.

The Ranger pickup was introduced last year and will be sold outside North America beginning later this year.

Kuzak said the Mustang "is not just an icon in North America, it is an icon globally."

Full text at the link

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry, but no one knows what a Mustang truly is EXCEPT AMERICANS. The rest of the world should have no input in the design. Just as no American should design an Aussie native product, they just don't have a clue about what makes a Mustang a Mustang - and don't even think a Chinese or German has a clue.

#5 ·
It should be interesting to see how this all comes together. Can I get excited that there will be a new SVO 4-cylinder turbo in the works? Does this also mean that we will get both notchback and hatchback models again????
a 4 cyl engine (ecoboost 2.0) is absolutly necesary rigth now. And mandatory for the next model.

#6 ·
I'm not sure this are good news. The Mustang is an american icon. Asian or european influences could dilute the image of this car.
It is when you consider that if they input, Ford could sell the mustang there. Not that a Asian spec would be sold here though.

#7 ·
I'm not sure this are good news. The Mustang is an american icon. Asian or european influences could dilute the image of this car.
IMHO I think Ford Europe , Australia , and America will be the major contributors . I'm excited to know that the Ford Australian design team will be included in the design process . Because they know how to build a modern rwd that can handle hence the FPV falcon .

#8 ·
It should be interesting...
that's The Word imho - tho imho2 quite possibly in a good way

I agree the Mustang is a global icon
&but
'foreigners' will probably have different design elements that they consider 'key'
& those studios (tho many out-of-the-US employees ARE Americans & vice-versa) will reflect their regional viewpoints

imho3, this could lead to an extremely reFreshed interpretation of it means to be Mustang

however(4)
I'd bet a nickel, that whoever's design wins, it's attributed to the Dearborn group - at least in US media sources

#9 ·
There's no problem with this...as long as we get a real Mustang: front engine/rear drive, long hood/short deck, fastback and convertible, 2+2 seating, economical base engine with respectable power and an available V8-powered GT model. I hope to see some styling cues from previous models without going too retro and I hope it looks lithe, svelte, and athletic not chunky and blocky. We'll see!

#10 ·
your post made me focus on something, T'Cal...

with gas/oil prices (for whatever combo of reasons) climbing daily,
it seems to me that the "GT" (assuming of course GT=v8 still) is going to acquire a more 'rarified' position
with (far?) fewer people willing to take that plunge
so
I wonder if an intermediate model (or modelS) are going to be high on Jim Farley's marketing To-Do list?

In a thread elsewhere, I posted about the current model Mustang possibly getting the "Lincoln 2.7v6" in non-EB form as a new entry powerplant (approx 230hp)(maybe just until the nextgen)
as well as a 350hp 2.7EB as a mid-trim;
&
the nextgen for sure getting at least one 4 cyl.
& (haven't said it lately) imho a hybrid's not appropriate for the Mustang

just thinking out loud

&
edit
saw GMI has a photo of the 2007-8 autoshow ItalDesign Mustang in their thread

so
decided to post a thumb-link to my old Mustang/Reflex chop from Aug'09

& recent nextgen sketch-chops

#11 ·
There's no problem with this...as long as we get a real Mustang: front engine/rear drive, long hood/short deck, fastback and convertible, 2+2 seating, economical base engine with respectable power and an available V8-powered GT model. I hope to see some styling cues from previous models without going too retro and I hope it looks lithe, svelte, and athletic not chunky and blocky. We'll see!
I think the formula "front engine/rear wheel drive" is not 100% sure to be keep. There is no RWD platform for this car in the future.
The long hood/short deck is the most american style detail that could be change if some europeans designers put his hands in this car design process.
The economical base engine is sure (4 cyl ecoboost), but the V8 not. Maybe a big V6 could be the most powerful engine for the Mustang in the near future... a V6 ecoboost with arround 450-500 HP

#12 ·
your post made me focus on something, T'Cal...

with gas/oil prices (for whatever combo of reasons) climbing daily,
it seems to me that the "GT" (assuming of course GT=v8 still) is going to acquire a more 'rarified' position
with (far?) fewer people willing to take that plunge
so
I wonder if an intermediate model (or modelS) are going to be high on Jim Farley's marketing To-Do list?

In a thread elsewhere, I posted about the current model Mustang possibly getting the "Lincoln 2.7v6" in non-EB form as a new entry powerplant (approx 230hp)(maybe just until the nextgen)
as well as a 350hp 2.7EB as a mid-trim;
&
the nextgen for sure getting at least one 4 cyl.
& (haven't said it lately) imho a hybrid's not appropriate for the Mustang

just thinking out loud

&
edit
saw GMI has a photo of the 2007-8 autoshow ItalDesign Mustang in their thread

so
decided to post a thumb-link to my old Mustang/Reflex chop from Aug'09

& recent nextgen sketch-chops
I like those chops 2b2

they keep their retro Mustang styling but add a new twist on it!

#13 ·
I like those chops 2b2

they keep their retro Mustang styling but add a new twist on it!
TY, Andrew
tho
I draw a line between Retro & Heritage
the first I'm tired of, the 2nd: NEVER

&
my quote of the day
2b2@GMI said:
imho
when talking about cars there are only 3 nationalities:
- carguy
- sheeple
- beancounter

#14 ·
If the car comes out on a FWD-based platform then call it the Probe and kill off the Mustang name. Including Ford's foreigners will increase the odds that this car will be in fact RWD. As for the engines, with weight loss a likely high priority, the standard plant won't have to be an EcoBoost I4. It will probably be a naturaully aspirated 2.5L I4 or similar. An EB will likely be an option or perhaps standard on the SVO model but I'll bet a V8 will be the GT's engine. Maybe not the 5.0L but still a V8. Then again, with the addition of cylinder deactivation coupled with a less mass, fuel economy should improve quite measurably for the 302.

I'm really looking forward to the next gen 'stang. The current one is so good that it's been compared to the M3 and, though I'm not a fan of BMW, I recognize that it's one heck of a car. Just imaging what the next Mustang is capable of.

#19 ·
Not sure at this point without drawings or concepts but the new global look might draw from the Fox-Stang design from the '80's only a little more modern and not as sharp-edged. I could be wrong but a modern version of that design could fit the whole "global" thing for US and elsewhere. You would still know it was a Mustang regardless of which country it's in.

#20 ·
I have a feeling the 3 bar tail light will be there in some shape or another :p

#21 ·
WHACHA WANT Re: Next Mustang undergoing global design input??

I'd been thinking of starting a WHACHA WANT #3 thread for the nextgen Mustang + possible "friends"
then
when going to post this, thought that this thread already does that
so:
LINK

^ & ^^ BlueII
I've never known you to make stuff up
but you're the only source I've seen mention a 2.5 EB
(not that I don't think it's needed badly!)
ANYthing else you can say about it??????

ice-capades said:
...As for the next generation Mustang, I expect that Ford is much further along in development than they're admitting regardless of their recent statements about seking global input. Time will tell!
me too!!

imho it's more about either
-- the next-next Mustang or MCE for the next
or
-- exploring how to visually relate the next Mustang with the next Falcon (& possibly other global RWD cars)
OR
-- regional distinctions
-- short-lead parts like fasicas or other things that still can be tweaked
OR
-- getting it optimized for platform sharing with a couple hot sport LINCOLNS!!!
-- could this just mostly be a team/cohesiveness exercise...

...or some/most/all of the above​

edit/otoh from a different thread/topic
LINK
Mackintire said:
Here's a bag of salt........

The latest rumor is ... a EB 2.7 liter NEW V6. Evidently scheduled for late 2014-2016. They are shooting for the 280-320HP range depending on the tune.

I'm thinking we should get a 32-33MPG mustang from that motor.

They also tinkered around with a 2.5 liter 4 cyl EB engine but decided against going forward with it.

#22 ·
Re: WHACHA WANT Re: Next Mustang undergoing global design input??

I would not mind if the next Stang got some of this design DNA

#23 ·
Re: WHACHA WANT ... Mustang / LincStang

seeing as jetlag, like from a daylightsaving's timechange, tends to make me (more) paranoid . . .
ice-capades said:
re-quote:...As for the next generation Mustang, I expect that Ford is much further along in development than they're admitting regardless of their recent statements about seking global input. Time will tell!
WHAT IF
it isn't the Mustang itself they're all working on at all?!?
but
the LincStang cars?

#24 ·

I would not mind if the next Stang got some of this design DNA
I love the Giugiaro Mustang Concept. I would not mind it at all if it looked like that. But I have a feeling the next Mustang will be very different!

#25 ·

I would think a Lincoln version of the Mustang could work.....with a longer wheelbase of course for better rear seat room OR the basis for a 2-seater sports car for Lincoln. I suppose you could do like MB did in the '70's and '80's with the SL and SLC. Offer a 2-seater Lincoln and then offer a longer model of the same car with a back seat. MKR uses a Mustang platform doesn't it? Well that takes care of the rear seat model. Now all you need to do is shorten the wheelbase, make the car a little lower and instant 2-seater. Call it MKRs where "s" means "short".

#26 ·

I would think a Lincoln version of the Mustang could work.....with a longer wheelbase of course for better rear seat room OR the basis for a 2-seater sports car for Lincoln. I suppose you could do like MB did in the '70's and '80's with the SL and SLC. Offer a 2-seater Lincoln and then offer a longer model of the same car with a back seat. MKR uses a Mustang platform doesn't it? Well that takes care of the rear seat model. Now all you need to do is shorten the wheelbase, make the car a little lower and instant 2-seater. Call it MKRs where "s" means "short".
That idea looks no-brainer, really? So, why Ford didnt do it? Why Ford didnt take the Mustang platform and give us an sport sedan for Ford and a coupe and sport sedan for Lincoln????? I insist in this idea from 4 or 5 years ago....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.