Ford Inside News banner

Mission: LINCOLN!

338K views 929 replies 49 participants last post by  San Costa 
#1 ·
Ideal Lincoln Lineups: Vehicles - Marketing - Design - DNA
Join in!
[/center]
imho part of Lincoln's problem has been having a lineup that's difficult to understand (for some).
C.J. O'Donnell, Lincoln's Director of Marketing has been using the phrase "MK Series" in a couple videos,
so here are existing and proposed models arranged into 3 'series' ... starting with the top range, once RWD finally happens

Star-series
Std Bridge of Weir leather and most other features - very few options; PLUS maybe 50% aluminum/alloy/c.f. construction
• Zodiac - Mustang-based coupecabrio & sportsedan

• Constellation - GRwdP - Continental-based swoopy '4-door-coupe'
<temp
• Continental - GRwdP - flagship sedan
<phase One (more in post#37)
Together the Continental and Constellation probably replace the mkR
• Navigator - based on nextgen lighter F-150
( approx. horsepower, all the above offer:
2.7EB 350hp -- 3.7v6 300hp -- 3.5EB 400hp -- 5.0v8 400hp -- 5.0Hybrid 400hp -- 5.0EB 600hp )

MK-series
all v6 F-Awd with std Leather and including parts not common-with-Ford being aluminum/alloy/c.f.
• mkT - restyled with more formality to resemble the Rolls Royce Phantom

• mkS - on the mkT's longer wheelbase, styled closer to the more sculpted mkT-Concept

• mkR - on the current mkS's or nextgen Taurus's wlb, new '4-door-coupe' styling

( engines for the 3 above models:
3.7v6 300hp -- 3.7Hybrid 310hp -- 2.7EB 350hp -- 3.5EB 400hp )
update: ( 5.0 v8, Awd only ...no seriously! ...Aviator too )
• mkX - more differentiation from the Edge on the new platform
( above (non-v8) engines plus a 2.7Hybrid 250hp - Yes, 2 Hybrids )
Here's where the new twist comes in. The smaller F-Awd vehicles will be in both the MK-series & the new i-series for 4 cylinder drivetrains
• mkZ - new platform & styling - exclusively uses the new (rumored) 2.7v6:

( 2.7v6 230hp -- 2.7Hybrid 250hp -- 2.7EB 350hp )
• mkG - Kuga-based, same drivetrains as the mkZ

• mkE - sedan based on longer Grand C-Max wlb ...NO Focus competition!

....and hatch/coupe based on Focus wlb ...ditto!

( same drivetrains as the mkZ & mkG including the EB)
note: in keeping with my "no performance marketing" for Lincoln idea, the RS label is not used in the U.S.
the "RS" for the Rest of the World, may be a 2.7EB MKE with a less luxurious Std trim (see i-series' features)

i-series - similar to the European Individual models

4 cylinder Only drivetrains and perhaps SLIGHTLY fewer std features; fewer exterior colors & One Interior: half Leather half microfiber-suede; & a 'simplified', mainly black grille ... possibly withOUT the name LINCOLN appearing on the cars ... these are geared to bring new/younger customers into the Lincoln showrooms

• 'Z' - may use some Mondeo trims/parts
• 'G' - may use some Kuga trims/parts
( both offer 1.6EB 180hp -- 2.0Hybrid 185hp - & maybe a 2.0EB 240hp )
• 'E' - sedan based on longer Grand C-Max wlb ...NO Focus competition!
could be marketed in Europe with a Ford grille & diesel option as the CORTINA
• 'E' - coupe or 3-door based on Focus wlb ...ditto!
could be marketed in Europe with a Ford grille, diesel, and sliding glass-roof as the CAPRI to replace the Focus-Cabrio
( both use 1.6EB 180hp -- 1.6Hybrid 160hp, at least to start)
or instead
( all offer Only a 1.6EB-PIH 210hp )

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not sure about i series

I would like to see the 3 trims they have had since forever make a return tho

Executive - Base
Signature Series - Mid Level
Cartier - Top of the Line

#3 ·
I am not sure about i series

I would like to see the 3 trims they have had since forever make a return tho

Executive - Base
Signature Series - Mid Level
Cartier - Top of the Line
imho the i-series makes use of a couple existing themes from Ford
'Individual' & the "Small Mercs Theorem" (which might make me a bit biased in its favor).
As well as dealing with my prejudice against a 4 cylinder Lincolns (I'm still getting over the idea that every Lincoln should at least offer an optional v8).

The i-series 'says' that anyone having the Olde view of Lincoln as big v8 barges ought to take another look ... and maybe Drive One

&
among other issues...
...imho right now "Lincoln" is sort of a semi-luxury 'meatloaf'
just a lump of vehicles without much structure to their marketing and perception - except for the "size of your slice".

So the 3 different series (specifically the i-series since the GRwdP Star-series comes out a bit later) would indicate that there's a variety of models to suit more than just traditional preferences...
,,,sort of, "If you're considering a Ford Titanium, you might enjoy an i-series better."

Along those lines,
imho having actual 'trims levels' might not be a good thing - Every Lincoln needs to be pretty darn loaded
(Andrew, I'd be very interested in what features you'd "leave out" of the Executive and Signature??)
which
is reflected in my take on their features . . . next post

#4 ·
FEATURES compiled from the WhachaWant threads with a couple additions

-------------------------------------------
general
"HRL" program to answer AMG & M-series
ALL flexfuel
ALL PowerShift/DCT with sw paddles (sport = manual?)
4 wheel ABS disc brakes
full size spare at least optional
wheel boutique & as much model commonality as possible

T & Navi power 3rd row std
snap-&-lock easy switch interior trims: real alu, titanium, c.f., woods, chrome, body-match paint
(some) unique Lincoln paint colors
(some) 2-tone paint pkgs
eliminate matte black rocker panels std/no choice
active aero-fx ...^related (more on higher/sportier models/engines)
undercarriage aero-panels
ok to special order ANY FoMoCo paint or interior color (Star-series only at first)

dual visors
autodim mirrors
rear center foldown armrest with storage
print & CD owners manual (Star = iPad?)
color-co-ordinating Star-Logo accessories
toolkit, flashlight, 1st aid kit
winter pkg: heated locks, wiper area, all windows (or defog vents), engine block, headlamp washers, All Weather Floormats

ASAP adaptive/magnetic & height-adj suspensions
ASAP fully programmable driver-car interface
ASAP electro-dimming-opaquing windows & glassroofs

? Recaro-partnership sport seats
? Self inflating tires
? rear tail light & sideview mirror washers
? door armrest storage bins like TownCar

i-series (4 cyl models)
Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Mitigation with Brake Support (also used as parking sensors?)
LED DRL, tail, foglights
auto wipers & Lights (co-ordinated)
heated powerfold mirrors+aux.sidemarkers+approach lamps, auto reversing tilt
Invisible Keypad in B-pillar(or driver's door glss!), push button start-stop
PowerCode™ remote start
MyKey™
Cargo Organizer

SYNC Std on all

all 1-touch windows + fob control
tilt/tele leather steeringwheel power/memory/heat + audio/phone/cruise controls
front seats heated/cooled & both memory
front kneebags
front powered headrests with speakers
lighted lockable-glovebox and visor mirrors & overhead console
driver face vents independent of climate capability (ie fresh air)
front&rear map/reading, ambient, footwell lights
power & USB outlet in every door & front console
power outlets: retained/delayed accessory power shut-off
3-zone Climate
rear vents
rear auto-ht-sensing/stowing headrests
rear side pull-up window shades
power rear windowshade
1/2 leather, 1/2 microfiber suede Only

opts: (should these ALL be std on the higher series?)
HIDs
L.MyTouch
Nav
HUD HeadUp Display + night vision
Sirius HD Radio
THX concert sound system
VistaRoof + frontseats' "air-scarf"
Reverse Sensing System & Rear-View Camera (G,Z)
Lane departure, BLIS & Cross traffic
Collision Avoidance?

MK-series additions (v6 models)
heated HL washers
power trunk/hatch

LincolnMyTouch STD on all models

front heated/cooled/massaging seats
rear power reclining heated seats 4zone climate (G,Z,X,R,S,T)
rear power-adj headrests
wireless headphones for passengers
std leather, opt BoW, sport:1/2&1/2

opts:
Reverse Sensing System & Rear-View Camera (all)
Collision Avoidance?
navigation
power doors
self park
rear massage+cooling seats+seatback trays, rear HVAC controls
4 bucket seats
leather, carpet,'suede' surfaced interior (no/minimal visible plastic)
• Limo Package:
-- dual video screens behind seatback tray tables
-- separate right/left audio channel wireless headsets
-- massaging seats - with footrests on S,T
-- 4-zone climate
-- optional rear-opening VistaRoof on S,T
-- opt 2nd Row Refrigerator Console = G,X,T
-- opt trunk-fridge? (access behind armrest) = Z,R,S
-- umbrellas+holders built into the (rear?) doors

Star-series additions
ceramic or cross-drilled disc brakes (Brembo?)
forged aluminum wheels
std self park
std power doors
std night vision & HUD
std BoW seats, theme: 1/2&1/2
std leather, carpet,'suede' surfaced interior (no/minimal visible plastic)
massage+cooling+rear HVAC controls +seatback trays(not Zodiac cc)

defeatable cylinder deactivation on the v8's
? something like eAssist added to all the top-range non-Hybrid drivetrains
? side rearview cameras instead of mirrors, screens in A-pillar&dash
? full body cameras (plus tivo-like recorder for insurance purposes?)

opts:
Nav?
4 bucket seats
• Conti/Navi Limo Package:
-- dual video screens behind seatback tray tables
-- separate right/left audio channel wireless headsets
-- massaging seats with (2nd row) footrests
-- (Star-series already has 4-zone climate std)
-- optional rear-opening VistaRoof
-- optional trunk-fridge? (access behind armrest)
-- umbrellas+holders built into the (rear?) doors

#5 ·
You are spending way too much time and effort visualizing the perfect Lincoln line-up. (If you put this much effort into your job, you deserve a raise!).
The downside to this is that Lincoln is being re-invented over decades, and the first fruits of their labor(that will only bring moderate change) is still a year or two away.
RWD, new flagships, sportscars, coupes and convertables are just back burner issues for them now, and with so much money being invested in new world markets, Lincoln just doesn't have the dedicated attention and resources needed to bring your Mission:Lincoln to life.

#7 ·
The Zodiac looks like it would be a fine replacement for the Pontiac Grand Prix.

Lincoln needs to start with a unique, bold and seductive shape, and not rely on scoops and blackout paint on a cookie cutter design to set them apart. There is nothing on the Zodiac that says Lincoln.

I don't want to see a new Lincoln, and think...oh, that's a clever trick to make the car look a little different.
I want to see a new Lincoln and think...Holy Crud!!! That is a gorgeous design that just screams Lincoln!

#8 ·
2b2.

the Executive/Signature/Cartier Trims were VERY close back in the day.

Take my father's 88 Town Car for example. It was a Signature Series but it had leather seats, climate control, and a premium radio. What was missing? Digital instrument cluster and sun roof. That's it!

Perhaps rename the packages? For example the Ulitmate package to become Cartier

#9 ·
Why did Lincoln drop the Cartier name ? That would have made a great stand alone model for Lincoln. Cartier has more prestiges than Ultimate. Ultimate is to close to what Buick used years back Ultra. If ever there is a RWD Town Car replacement (excluding MKT Town Car) in the works, the name Lincoln Cartier should be considered.

The Zodiac is a good start. Great job. But i still favor the Mark X front with chrome strip going the length of the car. (sorry i'm the only one who likes that look but it makes a powerful statement compared to current Lincoln front-ends. To be a real Lincoln, the design needs substance. (the '60's Lincoln front ends are a good start) You need to look at it and the image is "That's a Lincoln!" There should be no question as to where its position is on the food chain. You see the design and relate the Lincoln to "Top Shelf" rather than "bargin basement" or "generic". That's where the problem lies with the current designs. Hopefully the new design team can show (Please at NY in April) some powerful new design language/themes bringing the past to the future. (BUT not the "in your face" gaudiness Cadillac uses)

2b2, you are worse than I am. I usually map out a "dream" Lincoln model lineup wishing it would see the day of light. Been doing it for years now. Waaay back in the '80's I took the Mark V design and created a 4-door out of it (which I can't find which means it's gone forever)Called it the top of the line "Masterpiece" line above the Continental line. Had 4-door sedan, sedan w/long wheelbase, 2-door coupe and convertible and Limousine. The Masterpiece Series was to compete with the Rolls Royce/Bentley at the time. The regular sedan was like a modern version (at the time) of the Eldorado Brougham only by Lincoln. OK, stop laughing everyone......Hey, its ok to let your imagination go every now and then.

#10 ·
Why did Lincoln drop the Cartier name ? That would have made a great stand alone model for Lincoln. Cartier has more prestiges than Ultimate. Ultimate is to close to what Buick used years back Ultra. If ever there is a RWD Town Car replacement (excluding MKT Town Car) in the works, the name Lincoln Cartier should be considered.

The Zodiac is a good start. Great job. But i still favor the Mark X front with chrome strip going the length of the car. (sorry i'm the only one who likes that look but it makes a powerful statement compared to current Lincoln front-ends. To be a real Lincoln, the design needs substance. (the '60's Lincoln front ends are a good start) You need to look at it and the image is "That's a Lincoln!" There should be no question as to where its position is on the food chain. You see the design and relate the Lincoln to "Top Shelf" rather than "bargin basement" or "generic". That's where the problem lies with the current designs. Hopefully the new design team can show (Please at NY in April) some powerful new design language/themes bringing the past to the future. (BUT not the "in your face" gaudiness Cadillac uses)

2b2, you are worse than I am. I usually map out a "dream" Lincoln model lineup wishing it would see the day of light. Been doing it for years now. Waaay back in the '80's I took the Mark V design and created a 4-door out of it (which I can't find which means it's gone forever)Called it the top of the line "Masterpiece" line above the Continental line. Had 4-door sedan, sedan w/long wheelbase, 2-door coupe and convertible and Limousine. The Masterpiece Series was to compete with the Rolls Royce/Bentley at the time. The regular sedan was like a modern version (at the time) of the Eldorado Brougham only by Lincoln. OK, stop laughing everyone......Hey, its ok to let your imagination go every now and then.
Hey I am with you TurboS40! I plan on being there the first day Friday the 22nd! Already took the day off from work :)

And I am with you about the dream lineup. When Growing up my father had an 88 like I posted above. I always saw Lincoln as something special. I had a few designs I drew when I was really young, replacements for the Mark VIII sort of things like super cars or halo cars. I was so upset when they discontinued the Mark and the LS. They were the breath of fresh air Lincoln needs in their lineup now. Something sporty and desierable. I think the EcoBoost MKS is a step in the right direction but they need a 2 door and a road handeling car as well in the lineup. the MKS Ecoboost is more like classic 60's Lincolns. Really powerful highway cruisers.

#11 ·
GOOD discussion, guys

• Logan,
yeah I got a bit of a Pontiac vibe too :yikes: tho it isn't supposed to be black paint - just didn't get around to including mostly-black slats for the grille - kind of surprised at myself for going sooo MKR with the grille but it just seemed like a "good idea at the time"
BUT I got another idea today
see below**

I want the "Holy Crud! Gorgeous!!" too - I'm just not quite upto chopping that, think I'd get closer with sculpting!

• Andrew,
since the Executive/Signature/Cartier Trims were VERY close back in the day;
think I'd use that kind of fine-tuned distinction as part of "theme packages" something like special editions ... are you familiar with the Palm Beach editions of the Grand Marquis (iirc)?
and,
• TurboS40
re: Cartier
that's the name of a highend jewelry company, Ford can't just use their name without some kind of business deal
& I believe Ford doesn't want to bring in outside names (ex: Eddie Bauer) anymore
+
I like the "chrome strip going the length of the car look" too. But believe that kind of 'detail' could be added to quite a few design themes imho
&
your "Masterpiece" sounds a lot like my 'road-jet' I called the V.I.P.
which was supposed to be the start of a "Higher Reach" of Lincolns - - the Star-series is sort of a step still towards that.
So I'm definitely not laughing!!

** since you guys are "here"...
let me pre-ask about my new idea.
It would use what I'm calling-in-my-head an INGOT or Chrome-PianoKeys grille like the MKZ in the first post, instead of having thin slats
(which came about by looking at a negative image of the current MKZ)

Since I can remember(just barely) the massive chrome grilles of the 50's,
it doesn't seems necessarily gaudy to me,
(imho a lot of times in the real world, chrome reflects dark anyway, with just the edges coming across as bright)
BUT wonder what you all think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...first thought is using unequal rows - the top being much narrower(height) than the MKZ-chop to tie in with a row of LED's at the sides
and the lower row being the taller, main part
(yeah - hard to get this in words)

#12 ·
We wanted to ride the train down to NYC on opening day of the show but I can't get off from work that day.(Never drove in NYC but did in LA to go to the LA show back in '04) My son keeps asking when are we going etc. so maybe that Saturday or Monday. Monday should be less crowded being most are at work.

Wish they would bring the LS back without ruining it. My V-8 is awesome! My son was soo impressed by the "Miles to Empty" but I explained that the technology was not new. I remember seeing the Mark V offering that technology back in 1978. Too bad Lincoln can't at least offer the digital instrument panel as an option. Or at least in the Heads up display similar to what GM offered a few years back.

#14 ·
thought of the morning (well early afternoon) is

maybe it'd be a very good thing if Lincoln could have hidden B-pillars with flush glass over them
(like in the Zodiac update)

it'd be something you'd notice every time you walked to your car
more possibilities:
• camera side 'mirrors' (Std at least on the Star Series)
If they wanted, they could also have (backup) regular side mirrors that retract into the doors above a certain speed.
The mirrors' images would be shown in screens over the A-pillar on the Drivers left &but at the right side of the instrument panel so you don't have to take your eyes far off the road
or... as headup displays On the windshield?
• blue-printed shared engines or& plasma-coated cylinders for the 2.7v6's
wonder if a plasma-coated 3.6EB, 3.8v6, & "2100" 4cyl could replace the Ford versions

and from what I've been seeing on the web
- the CD4 Taurus will have an engine compartment big enough for the 3.5v6 family and probably a passenger compartment with at least as much room as the current model
- the CD4 Fusion gets a smaller engine compartment for 4cyls-only and surely a smaller passenger compartment than the Taurus too
but I keep hearing that the next MKZ will be bigger overall than the the current model
so
wonder if the CD4 MKZ could be 'composed' of the Taurus engine compartment + the Fusion's passenger compartment?
also
thinking ^that^ makes a stretched MKS more likely...
...could they possibly make a new engine compartment shared by the MKT and new MKS that could fit the 5.0v8 sideways???
OR
with gas over $4 is a v8 even needed anymore? ...imho, Yes. It would sure show that FoMoCo is becoming serious about Lincoln

#15 ·
more possibilities:
• camera side 'mirrors' (Std at least on the Star Series)
If they wanted, they could also have (backup) regular side mirrors that retract into the doors above a certain speed.
The mirrors' images would be shown in screens over the A-pillar on the Drivers left &but at thr right side of the instrument panel
or... as headup displays On the windshield?
• blue-printed shared engines or& plasma-coated cylinders for the 2.7v6's
wonder if a plasma-coated 3.6EB, 3.8v6, & "2100" 4cyl could replace the Ford versions

and from what I've been seeing on the web
- the CD4 Taurus will have an engine compartment big enough for the 3.5v6 family and probably a passenger compartment with at least as much room as the current model
- the CD4 Fusion gets a smaller engine compartment for 4cyls-only and surely a smaller passenger compartment than the Taurus too
but I keep hearing that the next MKZ will be bigger overall than the the current model
so
wonder if the CD4 MKZ could be 'composed' of the Taurus engine compartment + the Fusion's passenger compartment?
also
thinking ^that^ makes a stretched MKS more likely...
...could they possibly make a new engine compartment shared by the MKT and new MKS that could fit the 5.0v8 sideways???
OR
with gas over $4 is a v8 even needed anymore? ...imho, Yes. It would sure show that FoMoCo is becoming serious about Lincoln
sideways 5.0 does not sound good.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the current D4 platform could accept an engine in the North South configuration....

#16 ·
^ dunno, Andrew

thinking about expanding on the idea of those retractible side mirrors with
- active spoiler built into the trunk lid
- active front airdam (grille shutters are Std on ALL Lincolns)
- speed sensitive height adjustable suspension
- more to follow
Std on the Star Series and optional 'fx' Pkg on select MK Series

following a discussion elsewhere that's talking how no one can out-BMW BMW or out-Mercedes MB
maybe part of Lincoln's revived DNA could include a bit of "movie magic" high-tech
that^
and a neighbor broke a side mirror off his car and it looks soooo sleek parked without that wart sticking out

#17 ·
speed sensitive height adjustable suspension
The Mark VIII Had that, It should really make a come back on EB models!

#18 ·
Wasn't the MKS originally designed to accept the 4.4L V-8? I remember something about it then they redesigned the front with less length and only a V-6 showed up. It had something to do with the cost of the V-8 engine higher than planned. However, a different V-8 offered in an MKS would make for some interesting business here.

Speaking of interesting business here......anyone remember the speedometer on the early 70's Lincoln's? (not the Mark Series) It was a bar that moved to show the speed. Perhaps a modern version could show up in the future??? I think they did away with it in 1978 when the instrument panel was redesigned. And yes our '72 speedometer would bounce off 120 at times (not by me of course....)way back in the day 30 something years ago.

#19 ·
Wasn't the MKS originally designed to accept the 4.4L V-8? I remember something about it then they redesigned the front with less length and only a V-6 showed up. It had something to do with the cost of the V-8 engine higher than planned. However, a different V-8 offered in an MKS would make for some interesting business here.

Speaking of interesting business here......anyone remember the speedometer on the early 70's Lincoln's? (not the Mark Series) It was a bar that moved to show the speed. Perhaps a modern version could show up in the future??? I think they did away with it in 1978 when the instrument panel was redesigned. And yes our '72 speedometer would bouncing off 120 at times way back in the day 30 something years ago.
MKS was supposed to get a V8 yes. I belive mounted sideways just like the S80 iirc

#20 ·
The Mark VIII Had that, It should really make a come back on EB models!
^ the 'limbo' commercial
but I'm thinking more than that to deal with city potholes and those long unpaved driveways to the country estate + easier entry an exiting
so would have multiple program setting

Wasn't the MKS originally designed to accept the 4.4L V-8?...
MKS was supposed to get a V8 yes. I belive mounted sideways just like the S80 iirc
ya know
in retrospect, I've developed a rather dim view of Volvo engines (as well as their operating philosophy) and am QUITE glad to have them OUT of Fomoco

also
there have a couple semi-rumors of a smaller v8 (4 liter?) - no idea if it'd be 5.0-based or just share architecture
OR if it's at all true

edit
adding some Heritage inspired logo versions from the Rumormill/Performance thread

#21 ·
The 4.4 was Yamaha based iirc. A lot of the SHO guys wanted that to be the next SHO motor to stay original to the Yamaha 3.0 and 3.2 V6's in the first and second gen SHO and the 3.4 V8 in the third gen SHO

#22 ·
added new versions of the littlest Lincolns.
new donor (original), new angle, new side sculpting; same rooflines, front, & rear
Focus-length 3-door hatch:

G.C-Max length sedan (or 5-door with a non-obvious hatch):

note:
I didn't forget the side mirrors - there's a little panel on the doors where the CAMERAs would deploy when the cars aren't parked;
nor the rear door handle on the sedan - it's hidden in the C-pillar blackout.

edit
- working on a 'rather' different new grille
- crossreference: "The curious case of Lincoln's future product lineup" thread

#24 ·
moved earlier MKE/e choplets here from 1st post

2b2, I like the second one however the front-end has a little too much BMW in it. The grill could go the whole front including the headlamp doors or continue and curve around the side slightly a few inches.
Thanks, TurboS40, agree - had to think about the front some more
& drat - was sure I posted the updates last night but they're not there
so..
... new front but with current style slats, also moved the front wheels back a bit to be more Fwd

think maybe I'll try an RS version now if I can get it to change paint color . . .

ok
RS with mostly minimal changes - cuz I'm curious if the basic style is thought suitable
for a nextgen RS ($35-40k imho)
dark grille, fender vent & logo, rocker panel, diff wheels,
based this on the 3-door but sub'ed the sedan trunk for more rigid structure (350hp afterall)
but one bigger change: decided to add buttresses to the C-pillars;
thought of trying a hood bulge or scoop but need inspiration

then tried a quickie darkening without any body changes

slightly different version - May 8

another new donor

2012 update, new donor

====================

edit/different subject
Thanks to MKII
, HERE's a Mondeo .pdf that goes into some detail about about "Ford's Driver Select Suspension system with Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD)"
that I hadn't read about before & imho is probably the basis of the "computer-controlled" suspension promised to be going into future Lincolns; pages 24-25 (sorry my puter won't let me copy&paste from it)

#25 ·
crossreferencing:
...Think Lincoln is in a good position for thier vehicles to be "about the driver/owner" rather than all about the Mfg's Reputation ("You vill like it Or Else")...

...as I've gone from forum to forum on this subject
I'm becoming actually AGAINST marketing Lincoln performance.
Fomoco needs to develop a comprehensive program/philosophy for it,
but imho it'd be better to not make a big a deal about one trim
and adopt more of a Rolls Royce attitude of, "We have more than adequate performance for you...at whatever level you prefer"...
...whether that's Light/efficient/green or enthusiast driving 'con brio' and everything in between

Rather than saying Lincoln has to have a HiPo trim on every model or even one 'real' sportscar - I'd much rather see powertrains good enough to let someone interested in getting a sportscar or hardcore sportsedan be able to choose Lincoln for it's other attributes with little or insignificant compromise on the power side.

&
imho the other luxury Mfgs BMuuMBLEXus ...Jaguar less so, esp the XJ... are really missing the boat by being overly conservative in their styling. Rather than being 'land-jets' they're practically over-powered "carriages" imho = very pompous

Imagine a styling theme that'd make the late TwenCen Lincoln concepts look like "Ancestors",

with the space-age features** no other LuxMfg is attempting (while they try to recreate a "Gilded Age")

retracting camera-mirrors
active-morphing aero-fx
glowing/translucent/clear body panels, in & out
sliding-pantograph 'doors' (hinges are sooo TwenCen)
sliding roof AND rear-cargo-compartment openings (what's a "trunklid")
photo/heat-reactive paint that gets lighter/more reflective in hot sun
imho
the only traditional looking parts...should be the TIRES

the hard part will be not looking WEIRD
(which BMuuMBLEXus does withOUT looking modern :yikes:)

#26 ·
I know Ford had concept cars in the 1980's with windows that you can adjust the tint but never saw anything since. Any possibility that something like this could be used? The only problem that I see is that some states have laws on window tinting which would limit the use for rear windows only. (unless the law changed)

The more I look at the Mark X concept above, the more it would look sooo nice made into a 4-door convertible. (with the same front/rear and roof design features. Pull the wheelbase out in the middle to allow a backseat with legroom. Offer 4 ultra plush but firm support bucket seats. I know not many like the look of the Mark X but it has the 4 outer corners that define Lincoln style. Look at the past models. The side blade does it for Lincoln. That's why the rounded look on current models don't suit Lincoln well. There's no definition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.