Ford Inside News banner

Audi to launch Tesla-fighting SUV in 2017?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  germeezy1 
#1 ·
Audi to launch Tesla-fighting SUV in 2017?

A new report coming out of England indicates Audi is in the early stages of developing a large, range-topping crossover that will be aimed squarely at the upcoming Tesla Model X.

Tentatively called Q8 e-tron, the crossover will share its MLB-evo platform with the next-gen Q7 but it will be powered by an all-electric drivetrain consisting of a potent electric motor mounted over each axle and a lithium-ion battery pack located under the passenger compartment. Advances in battery technology will give the crossover a driving range of at least 370 miles.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-to-launch-tesla-fighting-suv-in-2017.html#ixzz2sM9D0Xlv

#4 ·
I look at this announcement more as a defensive move to keep Audi buyers who may be considering a Model X from rushing off. It is most likely going to end up with much less range than advertised and a much greater price tag (I've already seen $130,000 thrown out), if it doesn't get perpetually delayed or canceled. I strongly encourage more competition in the realm of plug-in vehicles, but for Audi this is much more concept than reality. Ford has a better chance of getting there first given their established plug-in and electric programs.

#5 ·
At over 300 EV miles, the true sweet spot, an ev owner won't need a public charger on a daily basis, as their garage will be their charging station.

I see Ford and Tesla coming together, with a Fusion, Edge, Lincoln MKS having a tesla battery pack, or a Ford battery pack but able to charge at the Tesla SuperCharger stations for long distance travel.

#6 ·

_

I wonder what kind of *deal* Ford could squeeze out of Tesla - would think copyright royalties would be unavoidable (to even sell an adaptor for Fords)
AND
doubt that the Tesla "Highway" is set up to handle the volume of BEVs that the BlueOval could theoretically put out there

Jose said:
or a new MKT-Aviator electric
wonder if Ford might use the nextgen S-Max as a Hybrid-Only model in the US??

that could make an electrified X &or Aviator more likely

#7 ·

_

I wonder what kind of *deal* Ford could squeeze out of Tesla - would think copyright royalties would be unavoidable (to even sell an adaptor for Fords)
AND
doubt that the Tesla "Highway" is set up to handle the volume of BEVs that the BlueOval could theoretically put out there

wonder if Ford might use the nextgen S-Max as a Hybrid-Only model in the US??

that could make an electrified X &or Aviator more likely
It seems to make sense that Ford partner with Tesla, at least from an infrastructure perspective when looking to power 300+ mile EVs. Tesla has already installed more charging stations on freeways than they would possibly use. Clearly Tesla's goal is not to be the EV leader, but control the EV charging stations on a world wide scale. They have already put out the offer to other automakers to 'invest' in the SuperChargers so their vehicles can charge for long distance trips. But so far, no other automaker has a 300 mile EV that needs the SuperCharger.

This may also be why neither Ford or GM has put any effort into public charging, letting Nissan go wild with their soon to be outdated Japanese quick chargers. Understanding that once the EV has 300+ miles, there is really no need for many a 'local' public chargers, as most won't be driving daily over 300 miles.

Tesla needs Ford's manufacturing know-how to get to the next level, and Ford needs Tesla's charging infrastructure to advance their own 300+ mile EVs to make them viable. Which is why I see Tesla SuperCharger stations upgrading to add ComboChargers. They already have more than enough electric power coming to the locations. And each station has additional 'stall' space by design for expansion. Either way, it's a win for Tesla and Ford or GM.

#8 ·
^ I'm slow & fuzzy today but that^ helped clarify things, Bloggin :thumb:
Good Points!
tho
naturally, I'm wondering about Lincoln being before any Ford Brand BEV with a 300m range
(kinda suggests a "Lincoln Highway" (interstate80?) advertising tie-in)

Do you know anything about the charger-highway that Volvo's built/building? iirc from Stockhlom to Oslo

- - - - - - - - - - -

ps from other thread
do you have the url for that .pdf with the Z/Fusion tophat dates?
or just the Title of the pdf...
...my backup puter sometimes can read pdf's

#9 ·
Tesla is closer to work together with Mercedes-Benz. in fact, Tesla and Daimler just make a deal to share tech. And Tesla sell to Daimler some bateríes for small cars. Tesla and Daimler (and Renault-Nissan that have a deal with Mercedes-Benz) could make an invincible team in the future. Ford have no chance to make business with Tesla rigth now

#10 ·
^ I'm slow & fuzzy today but that^ helped clarify things, Bloggin :thumb:
Good Points!
tho
naturally, I'm wondering about Lincoln being before any Ford Brand BEV with a 300m range
(kinda suggests a "Lincoln Highway" (interstate80?) advertising tie-in)

Do you know anything about the charger-highway that Volvo's built/building? iirc from Stockhlom to Oslo

- - - - - - - - - - -

ps from other thread
do you have the url for that .pdf with the Z/Fusion tophat dates?
or just the Title of the pdf...
...my backup puter sometimes can read pdf's
No problem....

Here is the link for the Opportunities in NA Report

Yes, it makes sense that the new MKS becomes the first 300+ mile Lincoln EV, what can compete directly with the Model S. Followed by lower priced next gen Ford Fusion, and 50 EV mile plug-in hybrids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.