Ford Inside News banner

Ford plans new hybrid series to compete with Toyota Prius, report says

34K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
Ford plans new hybrid series to compete with Toyota Prius, report says

Ford Motor Co. plans to introduce a new hybrid gasoline-electric car in late 2018 to compete against the best-selling Toyota Prius, two sources with knowledge of the company's plans told Reuters on Wednesday.

The compact car will be Ford's first "dedicated" hybrid -- that is a vehicle designed to be marketed exclusively as a hybrid, rather than a variation of an existing gasoline model, such as the automaker's Fusion hybrid, the sources said.

The as-yet-unnamed vehicle will be built just outside Detroit.

The sources said Ford eventually could offer several different body styles of the new hybrid, as Toyota does with the Prius. There would be different versions of the car's gasoline-electric drivetrain, including a more expensive plug-in model that can be recharged from an electrical outlet.

read more at: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ries-to-compete-with-toyota-prius-report-says

See less See more
#2 ·
...The as-yet-unnamed vehicle will be built just outside Detroit...
perfect timing for The Return of Mercury
:clap:

article said:
...Ford plans to build the new hybrid at its Wayne assembly plant in southeastern Michigan, at an annual rate of about 120,000, the sources said.

Some of the hybrid technology, including electric motors, controllers and batteries, will be adapted from Ford's current hybrid models, although the dedicated 2019 model is expected to provide better fuel economy and range than today's hybrids.

The 2019 model, which carries the internal code C240, will be built on Ford's new C2 global compact architecture, which also will underpin the next-generation Focus and Escape, the sources said...
I was just thinking last night, that I'd want a hatch between the size of the Fiesta & Focus with:
-- a batteryless E-wd - if I still didn't have a garage for charging
or
-- a PlugIn with a larger than current battery - if I do

elsewhere :angel they're saying this will replace the C-Max....

#3 ·
Hyundai Prius-Fighter Hybrid could preview next attack on Toyota's champion

Hyundai Prius-Fighter Hybrid spy shot

Hyundai is no stranger to the hybrid game, selling a gas-electric version of the Sonata in the US since 2011. The 2015-model-year version gets 38 miles per gallon combined, which is certainly admirable but not quite in the same league as the hybrid champion Toyota Prius (50 mpg combined). New spy shots reveal that Hyundai might be finally ready to targeting the non-plug-in fuel economy leader. Why else would some mysterious Hyundai prototypes be cruising through the desert hills with a few Priuses in tow?

Autoblog

It looks like Ford is not the only manufacturer targeting the Prius.

#7 ·
What this article does not say may be telling.

Since the global market like the hatch better than a sedan, this should be a hybrid and Energi hatch model riding on the next gen longer, lighter Focus platform. Weight savings is expected to come from an aluminum body and more high strength steel in the new platform/frame.

Energi model should offer a more energy dense 50+ mile battery pack. Remember, this is 4 years into the future.

#9 · (Edited)
*ahem*

I would just like to (shamelessly) point-out my MKE(s) that were specifically (Grand)C-Max based

edit
can't remember if I asked already...
anyone know if there's a (like manufacturing) relationship between the Energis's 7.6kWh battery and the FocusElectric's 23kWh?
kinda suspicious to me that 3 times 7.6 (= 22.8) is so close that it could be a rounding thing

Attachments

#10 ·
edit
can't remember if I asked already...
anyone know if there's a (like manufacturing) relationship between the Energis's 7.6kWh battery and the FocusElectric's 23kWh?
kinda suspicious to me that 3 times 7.6 (= 22.8) is so close that it could be a rounding thing
No relationship. The 23kWh pack has cells from LG Chem, and the 7.6kWh pack has Panasonic cells(like Tesla). Packs are also built in different locations.

#12 ·
Ford is really amp-ing things up in the electrification arena.
I would be very interested in seeing a hybrid version of the Lincoln MKC. I may be in the market for a new vehicle in two years and the MKC is definitely on my radar screen, although I'd like to see a hybrid version.

I'm driving an MKZ Hybrid now. Even though the mileage I'm getting with it isn't 45 mpg (I never expected 45 anyway), I'm still feel spoiled by the mileage I get, which ranges from the mid-30s to the upper-30s if I'm careful.

Wingsnut, any news on an MKC-H?

#13 ·
Everyone was waiting for the Escape Hybrid when the Escape launched, but that required the availability of Ford's new AWD Hybrid system that was not available yet. But with the launch of the 2015 Lexus NX Hybrid coming later this year for the US, and Lincoln wanting more of the California market share, Lincoln will need to launch an MKC AWD Hybrid by MY2016 at the latest to stay on the green shoppers list.

#14 ·
A new report finds Ford is in the very early stages of developing a gasoline-electric hybrid aimed squarely at the Toyota Prius and the Chevrolet Volt.

Called C240 internally, the yet-unnamed model will share its C2 platform with the replacements for the Focus and the Escape. Technical details are still few and far between but anonymous sources inside the Blue Oval predict the hybrid will be considerably more efficient than the automaker's current gas-electric models thanks to advances in battery technology and the use of lightweight materials such as aluminum.

Keeping in line with the automaker's One Ford philosophy, the hybrid will be sold in a host of global markets including North America, Asia and Europe. All told, Ford hopes to sell about 120,000 example of the car each year.

Trade journal Automotive News reports Ford's first purpose-designed hybrid will be built outside of Detroit, Michigan, starting in 2018. The publication expects the hybrid to land in showrooms in time for the 2019 model year.

When it debuts, Ford's hybrid will face stiff competition from the fourth-generation Toyota Prius that is scheduled to break cover in December of 2015 and the second-generation Chevrolet Volt that will be unveiled next January at the Detroit Motor Show and go on sale shortly after.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-launch-priusfighting-hybrid-in-2018.html#ixzz3B3Qquam5

#15 ·
farticle said:
A new report finds Ford is in the very early stages of developing a gasoline-electric hybrid aimed squarely at the Toyota Prius and the Chevrolet Volt.

imho the Volt is a brilliant DEADend - waaaaaaay tooooooo complex
& the PeeeUS is a marketing boodoggle worthy of Microsoft ie lacking almostANY tech accomplishment

happily
I don't believe farticles

#17 ·
Well, I mean this could be a successor for the C-Max in the US market where it's sold exclusively as a Hybrid.
That makes a lot of sense. Since the Focus, Escape and C-MAX all ride on the same platform, it's just about putting on a different top hat. So it should be easy for Ford to offer a new hybrid ONLY model globally with 80+% shared components with the other ICE/Hybrid/Energi models. This new C2 platform should, like the new VW platform, better allow for battery pack storage, along with being light weight, with the vehicle top hats using more aluminum.

#18 ·
Personally I'm a bit more interested in a Plug-in Hybrid, similar in execution to the Volt. But I want a hybrid that puts the benefits of electric torque to the wheels more than just sips fuel. That's a Lincoln hybrid I would like to see.

I would actually be far more interested in a sporty Lincoln if it was electric, I'm not at all interested in a Mustang Lincoln. I want something truly next-level to take on Tesla, a product I'm seriously considering.

#19 ·
Although performance hybrids sell in pathetic numbers, I have always thought that a properly designed GTDI engine could really benefit a hybrid. Less emphasis on quick turbo spool-up (which always compromises top end) as the electric motor is then sized/geared for acceleration could handle that duty, combined with a properly boosted top end would be a hoot and still return excellent mpg.

#20 ·
I want something truly next-level to take on Tesla, a product I'm seriously considering.
Exactly. Lincoln shouldn't waste time with a a Volt/ELR type of vehicle when it can set higher goals and target Tesla. A whole new and different body style(s)/interior(s) can be created to get the point across so it does not look like a converted MKZ with different trim here and there.

#21 ·
Exactly. Lincoln shouldn't waste time with a a Volt/ELR type of vehicle when it can set higher goals and target Tesla. A whole new and different body style(s)/interior(s) can be created to get the point across so it does not look like a converted MKZ with different trim here and there.
imho
tho I was sorta infatuated with the Volt at first
now, I think it's needlessly complicated
&
[ broken record ]
want to see a "module" that can be added to the un-petrol-driven wheels
FWD = stick it in back
RWD = put the motors in front
gets 'free' AWD out of the deal

#24 ·
Hmm... Since the Flex is in the wagon/hatchback category, and the Flex name carries some clout in California, I wonder if the Prius competitor will get the "Flex" name?
I would think Ford would choose a name different enough not to confuse with any other Ford model. The issue now as far as name recognition is concerned, is that C-MAX is most known as an ICE vehicle globally. So using the name of an existing Ford vehicle won't help. Ford will have to offer a new name. With most Ford vehicle names starting with a F for cars, and E for SUVs in the states. But it seems Ford is expanding past that narrow naming theme globally.

#25 ·
I would think Ford would choose a name different enough not to confuse with any other Ford model. The issue now as far as name recognition is concerned, is that C-MAX is most known as an ICE vehicle globally. So using the name of an existing Ford vehicle won't help. Ford will have to offer a new name. With most Ford vehicle names starting with a F for cars, and E for SUVs in the states. But it seems Ford is expanding past that narrow naming theme globally.
well...
C-max
D-Max (eDge)
E-Max (Explorer)
F-Max (Flex)
^ as a possibity? NOT saying to use the D &or E

tho I still like the idea of the top-trim using/keeping the Flex Name

#26 ·
Everyone was waiting for the Escape Hybrid when the Escape launched, but that required the availability of Ford's new AWD Hybrid system that was not available yet. But with the launch of the 2015 Lexus NX Hybrid coming later this year for the US, and Lincoln wanting more of the California market share, Lincoln will need to launch an MKC AWD Hybrid by MY2016 at the latest to stay on the green shoppers list.
I certainly hope you're right, Bloggin: "Lincoln will need to launch an MKC AWD Hybrid by MY2016 at the latest"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.