Ford Inside News banner

‘Lincoln MKS’ joins the global new-model engineering logjam at Ford Australia

24K views 72 replies 15 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
‘Lincoln MKS’ joins the global new-model engineering logjam at Ford Australia

FORD Australia engineers are working on a mystery large car that is likely a replacement for its ageing Lincoln MKS for North America and China.

The test mule – based on a left-hand-drive American Ford Fusion but with major modifications under the rear end that appear suited to a larger vehicle – has been spotted by GoAuto going through its paces at Ford Australia’s busy You Yangs proving ground in Victoria.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/9F6C8893AFF4BDFCCA257CDE00219906

See less See more
#3 ·
interesting that this appears to be the exact same car of which Vince Burlapp posted pix from LA on or around April 10
(same wheels)((& "as usual", Lincolny grille + Taurus HLs))

re: the article,
dunno why they're mentioning D3/4 without CD4/CD4+/CD4+3 - unless I missed that

((and
I really REALLY hope photos show up that indicate electrification!!))

#5 ·
I don't think I've ever said this about the MKS/Taurus mules, but the wheelbase length doesn't look much longer than the Fusion/MKZ. Am I wrong?

I expect a massive improvement in backseat legroom in both of these cars, but I'm not seeing any evidence that will happen. The Taurus is a large sedan with a midsize sedan backseat legroom. That's why there's no reason to buy a large sedan. Back in the day, almost every American large sedan had plentiful legroom, and that's what was important in that segment. Car companies even bragged about it. Today, we've abandoned that value. I realize car companies have CAFE regulations to deal with, but it's a major blow to the consumer, IMO.

#7 ·
"Some US journalists speculate that Ford plans to reinvent the MKS by not only completely redesigning it and making it more spacious, but also rebranding it – perhaps as MKL – in an effort to recapture the ascendancy that Lincoln had in 1998 when it was America’s leading prestige brand."

MKL would play better in the US and China and be more fitting to the model. Since MKS sounds more like a Sport sedan that the current MKS is not. Which then allows the expected smaller LincStang to become the new MKS.

Which would just mean the new MKS(based on Mustang platform) would just become smaller to compete directly with C-Class and 3-Series, while the New larger MKL would go head to head with the E-Class and 5-Series.

Sounds like a plan to me.. :thumb:

#8 ·
"Some US journalists speculate that Ford plans to reinvent the MKS by not only completely redesigning it and making it more spacious, but also rebranding it – perhaps as MKL – in an effort to recapture the ascendancy that Lincoln had in 1998 when it was America’s leading prestige brand."

MKL would play better in the US and China and be more fitting to the model. Since MKS sounds more like a Sport sedan that the current MKS is not. Which then allows the expected smaller LincStang to become the new MKS.

Which would just mean the new MKS(based on Mustang platform) would just become smaller to compete directly with C-Class and 3-Series, while the New larger MKL would go head to head with the E-Class and 5-Series.

NO to the name MKL. I like the name "Cosmopolitan" better. It would complement the Continental.

#11 ·

NO MKL, MKS is good, S for sedan not sure if it is for Sport. I would like to see the LS name for the LincStang!

#13 ·
This is similar to Jaguar's nomenclature:

LZ=MKZ
LS=MKS
LC=MKC
LX=MKX
LT=MKT
LN=Navigator

It rolls off the tongue so much better!

BTW, Lincoln, the MK/Mark/roman numeral nomenclature is not Lincoln exclusive! Bentley, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, and others have used it before you guys ever started using it! Jeez!

#15 ·

LZ=MKZ
LS=MKS
LC=MKC
LX=MKX
LT=MKT
LN=Navigator

BTW, Lincoln, the MK/Mark/roman numeral nomenclature is not Lincoln exclusive! Bentley, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, and others have used it before you guys ever started using it! Jeez!
mmm could be but the Navigator has to stay as the Navigator, no MKN or LN or Something-N. the Navi is the Navi!!

#16 ·
mmm could be but the Navigator has to stay as the Navigator, no MKN or LN or Something-N. the Navi is the Navi!!
I want Lincoln's nomenclature to be cohesive, though. Lincoln's future portfolio could end up having 10-20 vehicles, and it's not easy to come up with good, real names.

The L(insert a letter) nomenclature is simple, cohesive, and practical.

If the next generation LNavigator was the finest luxury SUV ever made, would you still hate the name?

#20 ·
nruggiero said:
I don't think I've ever said this about the MKS/Taurus mules, but the wheelbase length doesn't look much longer than the Fusion/MKZ. Am I wrong?

I expect a massive improvement in backseat legroom in both of these cars, but I'm not seeing any evidence that will happen. The Taurus is a large sedan with a midsize sedan backseat legroom. That's why there's no reason to buy a large sedan. Back in the day, almost every American large sedan had plentiful legroom, and that's what was important in that segment. Car companies even bragged about it. Today, we've abandoned that value. I realize car companies have CAFE regulations to deal with, but it's a major blow to the consumer, IMO.
re: wheelbases
Not just LOOKS... ...the MKSTaurus is 112.9", the Zfusion is 112.2"
BUT
since the nextgen MKS(wic) & Taurus will be on a stretched CD4+? platform,
they'll have AT LEAST 115.2" wlbs
BUT2
there's also the LWZC (Longer Wlb Z for China) and I can't see them-or-anyone stretching less than 3" for Chinese potentates "assisted relaxation" in the back seat
SO
just-imho the MKS(wic)Taurii oughta get more of a stretch than that
(as well as being w-i-d-e-r)
nruggiero said:
2b2 said:
...there's also iirc new CAFE regulations that give a larger "footprint", wlb x track, a break/loophole
I never heard about that, but I'm not sure that's going to help a lot.
imho it could FinallyForce ...I mean "encourage"... FoMoCo to quit designing "pedestal" wheelbases
insert> "So small" graphic from SouthPark's ChinPokoMon episode

Bloggin said:

Which would just mean the new MKS(based on Mustang platform) would just become smaller to compete directly with C-Class and 3-Series,
while the New larger MKL would go head to head with the E-Class and 5-Series.
Sounds like a plan to me..

1. No MucK nomenclature on ANY Rwd Lincolns! NEVER!!

nruggiero said:

LZ=MKZ
LS=MKS
LC=MKC
LX=MKX
LT=MKT
LN=Navigator

way back in 2005 I was playing around with LZs and LZc for Zephyr sedan & coupe
and LTs and LTc for a "Town" sedan & coupe (could be a "4door-coupe" now)
then
by 2007, I was trying just Zs and Zc plus a Zxs for a long wlb version
tho
I've also been fond of the largest sedan being called the "TouringCar" for a long time
(imho fans have an initial-contraction just waiting for it!!)

&THO
as I've posted, any-day-now the 4 smaller MucKs WILL ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE!
by ovl, longest to shortest:
MKZ
MKX
MKE (if they wise up enuf to build my electrics)
MKC
see^alphabetical
&
a recent solution to a MucK that could 'fit' higher, like for a F-Awd MKS replacement
just: The MARK
of which ther could be Lux and Sport versions (we should be so lucky) ... MARK L and MARK S
NO contractions ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

&
nruggiero said:
...If the next generation LNavigator was the finest luxury SUV ever made, would you still hate the name?
Yes!

#21 ·
No secrets here: the next MK S will be a formal executive sedan with traditional styling , to compete with Cadillac XTS. It will be based on sligthly extended Fusion platform. Will have a V6 engines, the basic 2,7 and the 3,5 ecoboost as option. 4 wheel drive will be optional. The interior will be vastly improved, more luxurious and large. The current "high roof-SUV style" profile will be changed to more sleeker and low silhouette. The front end will carry the "split wings" grille, with horizontal slats (5 slats Jose...not 7 ), with proyector headligts and LEDs turn signals and day time running ligths. The rear end will have full width horizontal LEDs ligts.( No "spare tire bulge" there ). It will have less raked rear window with wider C pillar and some kind of hard lines like the new lines at the sides of the MK C and MK X Concept.

No "in your face" or controversial or too much futuristic style for the new MKS. No suicide rear doors. No fastback profile. No "retro" touches. No "new Continental for the 21 century". No new name. It will be an inoffensive good looking traditional sedan.

About that LincStang, there are no single clue that say to us that this car will be made by Lincoln. Is an obvious choice for the Lincoln fans, but not for the Lincoln management. So, stop talking about that car because it will not exist.

#23 ·
There will be no 3.5L EB for MKS or Taurus.
It will be delegated and optimized (minus the torque mitigated crap like currently) for large heavy RWD only.

Why on earth would they bother with the old 3.5L, when they have an improved, optimized, better V6 family of engines in the works.

Ok, No ecoboost? No performance oriented V6 for large cars? Only the normally aspired Nano ??

#24 ·
No secrets here: the next MK S will be a formal executive sedan with traditional styling , to compete with Cadillac XTS. It will be based on sligthly extended Fusion platform. Will have a V6 engines, the basic 2,7 and the 3,5 ecoboost as option. 4 wheel drive will be optional. The interior will be vastly improved, more luxurious and large. The current "high roof-SUV style" profile will be changed to more sleeker and low silhouette. The front end will carry the "split wings" grille, with horizontal slats (5 slats Jose...not 7 ), with proyector headligts and LEDs turn signals and day time running ligths. The rear end will have full width horizontal LEDs ligts.( No "spare tire bulge" there ). It will have less raked rear window with wider C pillar and some kind of hard lines like the new lines at the sides of the MK C and MK X Concept.

No "in your face" or controversial or too much futuristic style for the new MKS. No suicide rear doors. No fastback profile. No "retro" touches. No "new Continental for the 21 century". No new name. It will be an inoffensive good looking traditional sedan.

About that LincStang, there are no single clue that say to us that this car will be made by Lincoln. Is an obvious choice for the Lincoln fans, but not for the Lincoln management. So, stop talking about that car because it will not exist.
agree, the MKS will be a formal executive sedan, I just only hope that it is better than the XTS and can compete with more vehicles. I think the MKS will have the 2.9l V6 nano, maybe the 2.7l V6 but not sure, maybe there is a new engine for it between the 2.9l and the 3.5l (I think this engine will be for trucks and SUVs only).

and the 5 slats is not my idea it was a sketch of the X that Lincoln uploaded to the web,that is probably A. Di Buduo design, I didn't design anything I'm not an artist :nevreness:, this is a 2b2s ability, not mine haha. I am sure the grille will have 5 bars (I actually like the 5 bars design more than the 6 bars design of the Z). :angel

#25 ·
No secrets here: the next MK S will be a formal executive sedan with traditional styling , to compete with Cadillac XTS.
If it aims no higher than the XTS then it's a lost cause before launch.

I'm really starting to dislike you. :-(

#26 ·
Same here. If they wanted to do an extended wheelbase version, it would be called 'MKL L'. That doesn't roll off your tongue very well.
MKL L Cool J .. sounds good to me. :lmao:

There will be no 3.5L EB for MKS or Taurus.
It will be delegated and optimized (minus the torque mitigated crap like currently) for large heavy RWD only.

Why on earth would they bother with the old 3.5L, when they have an improved, optimized, better V6 family of engines in the works.
That makes no sense. The Explorer? The Flex? Stop making up stuff. Some people on here actually think you know things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.