Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
interesting article imho, that I stuck in this section as a counterpoint to the Most Anticipated thread...
...not sure how accurate their "instead of" cars are, but neat idea

10 Great Cars Nobody is Buying - LeftlaneNews
By Andrew Ganz
Friday, Sep 21st, 2012

...A while ago, we made a list of 10 Great Cars Nobody is Buying, and while most of those are still terrific vehicles that you won't often see opposite you at an intersection, we figured it was time to add 10 more.

For our 2012 list, we've also included a competitive vehicle that sells in stronger numbers in order to give you a better look at the industry and the segment as a whole...

1. Acura TSX... Instead, people are buying the Audi A4...

3. Buick Regal... Instead, people are buying the Hyundai Sonata because... it is similarly shapely for a much lower price point. Truth be told, the Regal is a better car in most measurable ways, but buyers aren't necessarily willing to pony up the extra dough.

4. BMW 3-Series. Redesigned with an emphasis on mainstream American buyers, the latest 3-Series is softer and roomier than before ... the 3-Series just can't find buyers. Sales were down 30 percent last month. BMW says that supply is tight, but since the latest 3 has been on the market for about six months now, we're not buying it.

Instead, people are buying the Mercedes-Benz C-Class because... the refreshed C-Class is a big improvement over its predecessor. Buyers are noticing – sales last month were up 38 percent and they topped the 3-Series by more than 300 units.

5. Dodge Dart ...This larger-than-average compact sedan boasts an Alfa Romeo platform and an excellent Fiat-sourced four-cylinder turbo motor. Inside, it's not as interesting as we'd like to see, but the Dart drives and rides more like a Mercedes-Benz E-Class than anything else in its segment. That's high praise.

Instead, people are buying the Ford Focus because... well, we're not entirely sure...

6. Dodge Durango >> the Ford Explorer

10. Volvo S80 ...Instead, people are buying the Mercedes-Benz E-Class because... it's a better car. This is true, but an E-Class stickers for about $13,000 more and it doesn't even include leather seats...

More...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ that sorta surprised me too, N.R.
& current U.S. #'s are nowhere near what the articles states
no idea about worldwide...

Link to Links (TheAutoChannel)

YTD - %change - model
60,621 -1.1% - 3-series
49,868 27.0% - C-class

and as we see, the 3er is still well ahead
tho if this continues, next year the lead would change

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have an '11 Explorer and really like it a lot. But if I had to replace it suddenly, I would drive a Durango before I automatically went out and bought a second Explorer. I've read some very positive things about the Dodge but also some very negative things about mine, which I haven't experienced. I'd want to compare the RT to the Sport. I love the idea of the Hemi but the Ecoboost is much quicker and gets much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have an '11 Explorer and really like it a lot. But if I had to replace it suddenly, I would drive a Durango before I automatically went out and bought a second Explorer. I've read some very positive things about the Dodge but also some very negative things about mine, which I haven't experienced. I'd want to compare the RT to the Sport. I love the idea of the Hemi but the Ecoboost is much quicker and gets much better fuel economy.
Order banks open around 12/5/2012 on the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 8-speed tranny and a bunch of other improvements. Now that's ging to be a cool SUV (in case you don't need the 3rd row).

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
i have an Explorer and i love/hate it. The vehicle is very nice, is a good design and vehicle , but the quality of the units assembled in Venezuela are ver bad. The car is (litterally) falling piece by piece on the road. Is a pity because i love the spacious interior, the ride and drive and is a very atractive vehicle in the exterior. Everybody want to see it and ask about it. I understand why the Explorer is a sales hit. I dont know the Durango, but i think is difficult to find a big Crossover better than the Explorer rigth now in the market.

The 3-series never atracted my atention. Is an overrated car. Is small, unatractive ( the new downward nose is horrible), expensive and too conventional designed for my taste. Dont surprise me that is not selling in bigger numbers. there are better choices in the market, for sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I posted this over at GMI. I too found the article interesting. Personally I look at this as a guide to helping pick a car. I like the thought of having a unique car. the ones on this list provide that

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^ that sorta surprised me too, N.R.
& current U.S. #'s are nowhere near what the articles states
no idea about worldwide...

Link to Links (TheAutoChannel)

YTD - %change - model
60,621 -1.1% - 3-series
49,868 27.0% - C-class

and as we see, the 3er is still well ahead
tho if this continues, next year the lead would change
According to Automotive News manufacture sales data, 3-Series is actually up 29.2% over 2012 at 59,052 YTD as of June. C-Class is up 34.3% over 2012 at 53,506 YTD as of June. 3-Series for June was 9,890 and C-Class was 7,604

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
But their list concept is not well thought out. If NOBODY is buying these cars, then how could there be actual sales at all? The consumer always decides what is the great car for them with their dollars. If more consumer thought the cars on their list were 'great', they would buy them more often......which is not the case.

And their little jab against Ford is telling. Ford cars are more well developed, more refined, more advanced, more sophisticated in design. Where the Dodge Dart/Durango seem less refined in design and equipment. Similar to the Acura which is very much what has become generic Asian design, lacking any emotion. And the Chinese Volvo is quickly becoming a counterfeit version of itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buick is doing a great job in re-inventing themselves. And the Regal is the perfect car for what they are doing. Too bad it's not selling as well as they hoped.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buick is doing a great job in re-inventing themselves. And the Regal is the perfect car for what they are doing. Too bad it's not selling as well as they hoped.
between the large-compact Verano and small-fullsize LaCrosse, imho Buick might be better off doing something different with the US Regal...

maybe split it into 2 models?
-- a 4-door-coupe with more extreme: style, luxury, power (Riviera)
-- a more versatile Voltec &or Hybrid 5door hatch-fastback! (Insignia)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts