Ford Inside News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some of the pictures of classic Lincolns on FordImages.com and found some old pics of a interesting Lincoln concept car from the 70's. I started surfing the web for more information about it and couldn't find anything on it. The only website that mentions the vehicle and gives pics is FordImages.com. Has anyone seen this car before or knows anything about it? It looks really stunning imo.

View attachment 3222 View attachment 3223 View attachment 3224 View attachment 3225

Attachments

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Wow, Never seen this before... the front end is very Mercedes like

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VERY interesting find, N.R.

don't think I've seen that before.

the side view makes think of the Taunus (iirc ...or maybe an Australian Ford?)
kinda wonder if it was a proposal to take Lincoln global back then??

You are correct it is the Taunus. View attachment 3221

Also, how were you able to download the picture? I tried right clicking and it didn't do anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
You are correct it is the Taunus. View attachment 3221

Also, how were you able to download the picture? I tried right clicking and it didn't do anything.
try doing a View > Source?

EDIT:
Just tried that and looks like they have it protected that way too

2B2 took a screen shot and attached it here from what it looks like

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Also, how were you able to download the picture? I tried right clicking and it didn't do anything.
when I followed your links and clicked [enlarge], a pop-up opened with the photo
& then I could [copy image location]; using Firefox
so didn't have to download or screen-capture and re-host the photo.

What Andrew suggested, "try doing a View > Source"
is how I can get the location of photos on flickr - by searching for ".jpg"

to screen-capture (good for youtube)
have the video paused on the monitor, hit the [PrintScreen] key which puts it in the clipboard memory,
then open a graphics program and [Paste as New Image],
crop if necessary, save to your hard drive,
then re-host on Photobucket, and use that URL with "img" tags:

·
Registered
997 Posts
From what I can remember,(oh boy, here we go.....another long winded story from Ed) my parents bought my brothers and I a set of Automobile Encyclopedias around 1973 or 74 (or thereabouts) These were the days before internet when you had to actually read books to gather information.( back in the Dark Ages...LOL) Anyways, I remember something in the Ghia section (Ford owned Ghia at the time) where a one-off was done using a European Ford Granada and grafting a Lincoln look to it. From what I can also remember, it looked like a Mark IV grill instead of the Mercedes design but I could be wrong. (this is kinda like an early proposal for the Versailles??) My brother took the set of Automobile Encyclopedias when he was married in the 1980's so I don't know if he still has them. I'll have to ask.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
when I followed your links and clicked [enlarge], a pop-up opened with the photo
& then I could [copy image location]; using Firefox
so didn't have to download or screen-capture and re-host the photo.

What Andrew suggested, "try doing a View > Source"
is how I can get the location of photos on flickr - by searching for ".jpg"

to screen-capture (good for youtube)
have the video paused on the monitor, hit the [PrintScreen] key which puts it in the clipboard memory,
then open a graphics program and [Paste as New Image],
crop if necessary, save to your hard drive,
then re-host on Photobucket, and use that URL with "img" tags:
Ahh that's how you did it... I am at work and we have IE8 no FireFox here sadly.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I can remember,(oh boy, here we go.....another long winded story from Ed) my parents bought my brothers and I a set of Automobile Encyclopedias around 1973 or 74 (or thereabouts) These were the days before internet when you had to actually read books to gather information.( back in the Dark Ages...LOL) Anyways, I remember something in the Ghia section (Ford owned Ghia at the time) where a one-off was done using a European Ford Granada and grafting a Lincoln look to it. From what I can also remember, it looked like a Mark IV grill instead of the Mercedes design but I could be wrong. (this is kinda like an early proposal for the Versailles??) My brother took the set of Automobile Encyclopedias when he was married in the 1980's so I don't know if he still has them. I'll have to ask.
I don't think it was an early proposal because it is a bit smaller than a Versailles. I think it was intended to be a Mercedes-Benz fighter.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
WAaaaaaaaaaaaaah I just lost an involved post - trying to re-create:

^ well if that concept wasn't a direct precursor to the Versailles
it shows that their thinking along those lines had already started
(an old Mercury textfile lists the Monarch as debuting as a '75)
((an even OLDer file, prolley on an HD in storage, had most models and basic dimensions going waaaay back))

...These were the days before internet when you had to actually read books to gather information.( back in the Dark Ages...LOL)...
I lived thru those bleak days...I guess...seem to have blocked them out mostly now

...like when someone says they remember the 60's, they're lying. Most/many of us from back then now just draw a blank...PROVES we were there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts