·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Efficiency Drives 2010 Ward’s Best Engines Choices - WardsAuto.com
By Tom Murphy
WardsAuto.com,
Dec 8, 2009 3:20 PM
SOUTHFIELD, MI – Five all-new powertrains win Ward’s 10 Best Engines honors this year, and each one demonstrates the auto industry’s swift movement toward downsized engines to attract consumers who now are making fuel efficiency a top priority...

...This year’s winners and the applications tested:
  • 2.0L TFSI Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A4)
  • 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
  • 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (BMW 335d)
  • 2.5L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Ford Fusion Hybrid)
  • 3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)
  • 2.4L Ecotec DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Equinox)
  • 4.6L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
  • 2.5L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT)
  • 1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Toyota Prius)
  • 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI)
“This year’s list epitomizes how the industry is responding to demands for higher fuel economy and lower emissions without shortchanging performance,” Ward’s AutoWorld Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter says.

“Auto makers are using innovative designs and advanced technology to boost horsepower and torque while downsizing engines and increasing efficiency.”

This year marks the first time only one V-8 has made the grade. The annual Ward’s 10 Best Engines competition has been held for 16 years, and as many as four V-8s made the list in both 1997 and 1999...

...Ford Motor Co. brings the goods with its 365-hp EcoBoost DI twin-turbocharged 3.5L V-6 in the new Taurus SHO sport sedan. EcoBoost redefines the V-6, allowing it to take the place of a V-8 in many applications.

In addition to the sedan, Ford is using the EcoBoost V-6 in the Flex and Lincoln MKT CUVs and MKS sedan. Some Ward’s editors achieved 20 mpg (11.7 L/100 km) in SHO testing. A 4-cyl. EcoBoost engine is expected next year.

Returning to the list is Ford’s 2.5L hybrid-electric powertrain, tested this year in the all-new Fusion sedan. In 2008, the Escape Hybrid made the list, but the technology since has been significantly revised. The new Fusion Hybrid is lighter, more fuel-efficient and can drive farther and faster on pure electric power.

Ward’s editors were able to drive 40 mph (64 km/h) with the engine off and in some cases averaged 45 mpg (5.2 L/100 km) with the impressive hybrid...

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
In a short drive cycle recently (lunch time drive to Millers Bar, in Dearborn, MI), I was impressed with an instantaneous mpg reading of 84mpg while driving a new Fusion Hybrid. I think part of the fun of owning one, for me anyway, would be to try and really optimise it further. Recall that in a city drive evaluation, professional drivers were able to achieve nearly 1500 miles on one tank. Pro, shmo...what are they doing that we can't duplicate, if we applied ourselves -- hence my desire/temptation to duplicate that.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
In a short drive cycle recently (lunch time drive to Millers Bar, in Dearborn, MI), I was impressed with an instantaneous mpg reading of 84mpg while driving a new Fusion Hybrid. I think part of the fun of owning one, for me anyway, would be to try and really optimise it further. Recall that in a city drive evaluation, professional drivers were able to achieve nearly 1500 miles on one tank. Pro, shmo...what are they doing that we can't duplicate, if we applied ourselves -- hence my desire/temptation to duplicate that.
The Fusion is definately a Triump of Fords engineering Prowess. The problem is Ford has not given it a big advertising budget enough to take sales from Prius.
Its a great package becouse it does not look dorky, and it also happens to have a superior technological package compared to the Prius.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
The Fusion is definately a Triump of Fords engineering Prowess. The problem is Ford has not given it a big advertising budget enough to take sales from Prius.
Its a great package becouse it does not look dorky, and it also happens to have a superior technological package compared to the Prius.
It cant build enough to compete with the Prius. It can only build around 25k as of now.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Is there a waiting list for the Fusion Hybrid? I hope so. This powertrain should go into more Ford offerings.
Possibly on the dealer to dealer basis depending on their Truck load and area where they are. A dealer that sells more F-Series trucks would be alloted more so S. cali dealers might be hurting but rural dealerships might not.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
As nice as the Fusion hybrid is, I would not spend the money to have it. It takes longer to recover the extra dough than I typically keep my vehicles. Sure, I would appreciate it more if gas spiked up, but not today. Also too, my drive cycle consists of about 60-70% highway. I guess I am not the target customer then. Give me a nicely loaded 3.0L model with AWD, and appearance package with 18" wheels and life is good. I would spend about the same as the hybrid, and much less than the AWD Sport and have a fine auto that gets respectable fuel economy and is funner to drive than a hybrid.

But that's just me.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
As nice as the Fusion hybrid is, I would not spend the money to have it. It takes longer to recover the extra dough than I typically keep my vehicles. Sure, I would appreciate it more if gas spiked up, but not today. Also too, my drive cycle consists of about 60-70% highway. I guess I am not the target customer then. Give me a nicely loaded 3.0L model with AWD, and appearance package with 18" wheels and life is good. I would spend about the same as the hybrid, and much less than the AWD Sport and have a fine auto that gets respectable fuel economy and is funner to drive than a hybrid.

But that's just me.
And thats hy the Fusion is so nice, It offers anything that a mid size sedan person would want...now if we could only add mid size wagon, 5 door and coupe to that...

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
^ Wings? crossreference ;)

imho just put this tophat on the new Explorer and lower it a skosh...

...Oh! and add a waterfall grille :wub:
S-Max seems nicely proprotioned, unlike the more van-like Galaxy. I would not call it sleek however, thinking aloud to some of the wagon designs in Japan. If I need the space of a people mover, why settle for a wagon?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S-Max... ...I would not call it sleek

...why settle for a wagon?
I would ;) s'ok

& wouldn't consider it settling
just a right-sizing fixation of mine, I guess, not buying more than one (usually) needs

I see the entire 'rear-door segment' as a continuum
from Fiesta to Expedition-L
(tho admit to having trouble understanding sedans ;))

it's like all the online arguing about the size of the Explorer...
seems posters can see the need for every "shoe size" except 10 :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.