Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend back home who's married and has 4 very young boys. This weekend I got a very obscure snapchat from his wife of her walking around a parking lot then it ending on the Mercury logo then another one of a Mercury Monterey parked in their driveway. This is a very odd choice for someone who needs a minivan I think but the more I have been thinking about it, it kind of makes sense for them. My friend has been through more cars than I care to count because he buys beaters for 500-700 bucks drives them till something falls off and buys another. Only one time did he listen to me and saved up for a $3000ish Taurus and totaled it during a rough winter so needless to say he doesn't have very good luck with cars. I checked the resale value of the Montery and it's pure garbage I found some near me with 80k miles for $3500

So my question is what are somethings to look out for on these vans has anyone had a Freestar/Monterey? Are they affected by the massive axle recall like the Windstar? (I tried looking on google for that one but can't get a clear answer). I know he's going to have questions for me on it but I can't find much info on them other than they have the upgraded 4.2 from the Freestar and have more features.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Can't say I can answer your query, Andrew, but what caught my attention ... he must have a VERY understanding wife to be able to get those type of vehicles with having kids.........

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones" __ John Denver __ 'Some Days Are Diamonds'

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't say I can answer your query, Andrew, but what caught my attention ... he must have a VERY understanding wife to be able to get those type of vehicles with having kids.........

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones" __ John Denver __ 'Some Days Are Diamonds'
Well when money is tight sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

·
Registered
436 Posts
My brother and his wife had a 2004 Mercury Monterey Luxury Edition they bought new and it was a very nice van it lasted them 8 years and 120K until the transmission died. Other than that it was a good family hauler that did its job well. Just normal/routine maintenance over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts