Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I rarely post here as I am usually ranting over at GMI, but I figured I would ask here for Ford advice.

My wife's 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL went in for an oil change at 32,000 miles today. The receipt said the inspection of the tires was marginal and that we should monitor them for replacement soon.

Any advice as to what we should replace the factory Continentals with would be appreciated. This is our family grocery-getter. We love its utility and will keep it for three more years. We will replace the tires in the spring unless they are absolutely needed earlier.

We are looking for good tires that will get us through about three more years of ownership and trade-in. Also, thoughts on factory versus other brands.

Next vehicle options right now are Buick Enclave, Ford Flex, and Lincoln MKT (if a when it comes out and if it is a three row vehicle.)

Thanks for any advice.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Hi Hitman, Wellcome to Fomoconews. My expirience with Bridgestones has been quite good. I have one car running on cooper and the other on Bridgestones.

If you are in a snow or rainy area, I would say, you need to change them like now, since you do not want the Mrs hydroplaning or loosing control of her Mom mobile.

As for Enclave Vs. Flex, you cannot go wrong with either. Also, Look at Taurus X, you can get a fully loaded one for much less than the Flex, for the same utility.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
hi hitman1970 :)
welcome to FmcNews!

I usually recommend checking Tirerack.com for ratings
& tho they don't have a lot of performance tires listed for the Freestyle (
btw), they DO show a possible fitment with the tires I have (& like)
Yokohama H4S (225/65R17 102H)...
...thinking you have 215/65R17 98T
so since the Load & Speed ratings are higher than your OEM's
&
my favorite tire sizing site (attached) says they're less than 2% different (plus I saw some posts elsewhere indicating going even a lot larger is no problem with the Freestyle) maybe check them out

re: when to get them - do you know about the little wear-bars built into the grooves? should change before the tread is down to that level
& like Mchicha said, sooner if you have challenging weather

ps
I strongly believe "performance" isn't just about going fast but being able to maneuver & stop quickly with max control ;)
&
that every mfg/brand makes junk as well as good-to-excellent tire models, so would advise getting specific recommendations

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm a Michelin snob. Excellent durability and quality. Both Sam's Club and Costco sell Michelins. Not every model, but you'll probably find what you need there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am impressed that you drove over 30000 miles on the original Continentals. Continental tires have been very troublesome on several FLM vehicle lines and most people replace them long before 30000. You will find that almost anything you buy will be quieter and better handling.

I would suggest checking with a local FLM dealership before purchasing as any of us who are involved in Ford's Around the Wheel program have extremely competitive pricing on namebrand tires. In our area the special right now is the Goodyear Integrity P215/65R17 with Manufacturer's Treadwear Warranty: 50000 miles @ $87.95. The high end tire is the Goodyear ASSURANCE TRIPLETRED P215/65R17 with Manufacturer's Treadwear Warranty: 80000 miles @ $142.95. There are several choices in between also.

On a budget standpoint my sister chose the Integrity for her 2006 Freestyle FWD and has been very happy for almost two years and 30000 miles
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am looking hard at the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred's. I will see what Woody Anderson Ford quote's before going elsewhere. My first choice would be to go with an American tire company if possible.

I am only a recent convert by a couple of years of making sure to check out American products first before checking out the imports. For many purchases there is no longer an American option.

Thanks again.

My Eagle LS2s are not in much better shape on my 2006 Lacrosse CXS, but is has nearly the same mileage as my wife's for. I guess we are looking at about $1200 worth of tires in the next month or so.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I highly recommend Michelin or Pirelli Tires.

My 2005 Montego had Pirelli Tires and when I traded the car in on my '08 Sable the tires probably had about another 30k miles left in them.

I have always received great service and reliability from Michelin Tires as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am impressed that you drove over 30000 miles on the original Continentals. Continental tires have been very troublesome on several FLM vehicle lines ...
Not surprising, since Continental bought out General Tire several years ago. While working my my through college 30+ years ago, I installed tires at Sears. IMHO General Tires were/are the worst. I never saw so many sidewall separations !

My daughter had one on a two year old Explorer. The tire dealer says it was not a defect (yeah, right, sure). Replacement was reasonable ($125 installed) and she bought their "road hazard" warranty (including unlimited rotation and balance) for $15/tire on all 4. At least any other sidewall separations are now covered, as well as rotation and balance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am impressed that you drove over 30000 miles on the original Continentals. Continental tires have been very troublesome on several FLM vehicle lines and most people replace them long before 30000. You will find that almost anything you buy will be quieter and better handling.
x2

The Continentals on my parent's 500 have about 38000 miles on them now and they roar terribly. I don't know how they can stand driving it on the highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
x2

The Continentals on my parent's 500 have about 38000 miles on them now and they roar terribly. I don't know how they can stand driving it on the highway.
The road noise sucks bad in our Freestyle, especially when compared to my very quiet Buick. Otherwise it is a great family vehicle.

As to getting the miles out of the Continentals, I am very dedicated to preventative maintenance and do crazy things like check my tire pressure often and have the tires rotated regularly in conjunction with the oil changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some calling around and here is what I found. Our local Ford dealer would charge $653 for four Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds installed, Clem Tire would charge $625, and the AAFES service station on Redstone would charge $550.

As it is over $100 in savings, my AAFES service station will get the business. It is one of the better benefits of military service.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
you got to post pictures of your ride after you get it new shoes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a shame that dealer is not following ATW pricing. Our ATW price on 4 Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires installed including taxes and diposal fees is only $601.80. I am not sure exactly how it works as I do not work in Customer Service but I beleive that we even have a price match.

Anyway I am sure that you will enjoy the huge difference a quality tire will make in your Freestyle.
Thanks, to be honest I would have gone with the deal if they we within $50 of the AAFES station. The dealership is only $25 more than a dedicated tire place in town. Huntsville is actually a fairly well off area for this region and I think they are pricing accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As promised, pictures with the new shoes on. We went with four Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds. $583 installed at the Redstone Service Center. I will also get a $40 rebate from Goodyear. No one could touch this price.

Thanks again for all the advice. Next week we are getting Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds put on my 2006 Buick LaCrosse CXS.

LOL. I still need to get those Christmas lights down! It has poured here for like a week and turned the ground behind the hedges to mud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ Thanks. The Freestyle has been garage kept except for about four months in the North East one winter. It has been a great family vehicle and is a shame that they did not sell better for Ford.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hitman,

I have a 2006 Freestyle with 33,000 miles on my connies. I want to replace them very soon as winter driving with them now sucks really bad.

How do you like the Goodyears?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hitman,

I have a 2006 Freestyle with 33,000 miles on my connies. I want to replace them very soon as winter driving with them now sucks really bad.

How do you like the Goodyears?
After about 1500 miles on the Goodyears, they are excellent. Great price and quality for what you are getting. The grip everything much better than the OEM Continentals in all conditions so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts