Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/17/2008-ford-focus-will-start-at-14-695/

Standard content on the 2008 Ford Focus includes:

2.0-liter Duratec 20 4-cylinder engine (140 hp and 136 lb.-ft torque)
In states that have adopted California emissions rules, every Focus qualifies as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV), meaning its tailpipe emissions are cleaner than some hybrids.
5-speed manual transmission
Front-wheel drive
European-inspired suspension
Dual-stage driver and passenger air bags
Driver and front passenger seat side impact air bags and side curtain air bags *
Tire pressure monitoring system *
Audio input jack for MP3 players **
AM/FM stereo with single CD player
Ice Blue backlighting for instrument cluster and control knobs **
Air conditioning *
Available options include:

4-speed automatic transmission
Ford Sync (standard on SES models and available on SE models) **
Ambient interior lighting system
SIRIUS™ satellite radio **
AM/FM Stereo 6-disc CD/MP3 player with digital clock
AM/FM Stereo 6-disc CD/MP3 player Audiophile system
Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with Traction Control
Power moonroof
Fog lamps
Front row heated leather-trimmed seats
Speed Control

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The new Focus is redesigned from the inside out, is available as a sedan or new coupe body style, is 30 pounds lighter?
It was originally 60lbs lighter, in the 1st media release, what changed?

BASE CURB WEIGHT (pounds)

2-door Coupe
4-door Sedan

Manual transmission

Automatic transmission

2-door Coupe
4-door Sedan
FUEL ECONOMY
City/Hwy
City/Hwy

2.0-liter, 4-speed auto
24/33
24/33

2.0-liter, 5-speed manual
24/35
24/35

2.0-liter, 4-speed auto PZEV
24/33
24/33

2.0-liter, 5-speed manual PZEV
24/35
24/35

BRAKES

Type
Power-assisted front disk, rear drum brakes with four wheel, 4-channel anti-lock braking system

Front
10.8-inch vented disc

Rear
8.0-inch drum

Still no EBA (electronic brake assist)?

Seems the disc and drum brakes have both lost some size as well.
I know the front disc's were made 17 percent larger for the MY2005 to 15 inches, and I think the rear drums were 11"
Hmmm.

I guess I have to get off this rant about Ford IMO making more of the same mistakes instead of trying to make things better.
Poor old Focus being decontented a wee bit more and now the some of mechanical bits are having the substance sucked out them all for the benefits of techno glitz, sync and glowing cup holders.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MKII,
your "rants" seem unwarranted in that the 08 Focus has an entirely new interior with great new materials and texutres, more power, better FE, it is much quieter than before, handles better, brakes faster using better Aluminum calipers, has standard side curtain airbags, offers something that car and driver calls "the hottest thing since the Mustang" with the new Sync system that nobody else has, and also offers what I think is a bold new look on the outside. Geez, I sound like a brochure, but summed up it will sell well...even without 11" disks.

Oh, and the glowing, multi-changing interior lights is cool too:)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Seems the disc and drum brakes have both lost some size as well.
I know the front disc's were made 17 percent larger for the MY2005 to 15 inches...

15"?!?

brake dia. is always a good deal smaller than wheel dia. - calipers, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.racepages.com <first site I found
Front Brake Pad Set...
Make Model Year Range Chassis/Engine
Ford Focus 2005 - 2007 2.0L 10.9" Diameter Rotor
Ford Focus 2005 - 2007 2.3L 10.9" Diameter Rotor

haven't found the rear size (racepages has the part but doesn't list measurement)

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, I got to experience the new sync system in an Edge recently, and I simply can't wait to have it. I actually want to turn my car in 1 year early just to get it. Normally I don't let stuff like that get me too excited, more glitz than guts, but I am constantly on the go now between work, my own business, and 2 kids with active lifestyles...and I am on the phone constantly. It works so simply and it is sooo intuitive and Ford has a serious hit on their hands.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

15"?!?

brake dia. is always a good deal smaller than wheel dia. - calipers, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.racepages.com <first site I found
Front Brake Pad Set...
Make Model Year Range Chassis/Engine
Ford Focus 2005 - 2007 2.0L 10.9" Diameter Rotor
Ford Focus 2005 - 2007 2.3L 10.9" Diameter Rotor

haven't found the rear size (racepages has the part but doesn't list measurement)
Major mistake on my part, I apologize from my lower then grass position.
As mention I will quit the ranting and ragging on the 2008 models, and wish it good luck.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manufacturing methods improve Focus quality:

DEARBORN, Sept. 18, 2007 (FCN) -- Along with its new look and new features, the 2008 Ford Focus benefits from new manufacturing methods that are more focused on quality.

2008 Ford Focus “We are going to deliver a tremendous car. We want it to be excellent,” said Dale Wishnousky, plant manager, Wayne (Mich.) Stamping and Assembly Plant, where the new Focus is being built for North America.
Last January, Ford Motor Company announced the investment of U.S. $130 million at the Wayne plant for tooling and equipment to build the new two-door and four-door Focus. Much of the money went to enlarge and upgrade the body shop to install the tooling used to create the new cars.

The upgrades include the installation of new robots with much more precise welding guns that attach the body sides to the underbody. The new machinery also allows the assembly process to be more flexible.

“We’re investing in technology traditionally found in plants that build much more expensive vehicles, like the F-150 and the Lincoln Navigators,” said Wishnousky.

The plant has also installed 130 new direct-current electric hand tools with error-proofing for use during assembly. The new tools reduce workers’ strain and allow for constant precision monitoring during the build.

“They’re much more precise and they measure themselves with every bolt. Each bolt is tied into the serial number of the car so if something’s not good, we won’t ship the car,” said Wishnousky.

2008 Ford Focus Highlights

All-new exterior design
First ever two-door coupe joins Focus four-door sedan
Industry-exclusive Ford Sync hands-free communication and entertainment system
All-new interior features Ice Blue lighting and new “top of dash” display
Available color-configurable interior ambient lighting system
New seats have improved contours and offer more lateral and lumbar support
Redesigned and retuned suspension improves driving dynamics

Bolts must be torqued to exact specifications or the car will not move down the line, said Arie Groeneveld, manager, Focus Plant Vehicle Team.

At Wayne, every new Focus is also scanned by Perceptron vision cameras to measure its dimensional integrity for fit and finish and to eliminate squeaks and rattles. If a car is not within exacting tolerances, it is rejected and pulled off the line.

Plant employees also use an improved Clear Vision audit process to make sure the wheel alignment and steering wheel placement is set to precise predetermined specifications.

All of these factory improvements mesh with the car’s engineering upgrades to produce a more refined vehicle that offers craftsmanship at a great price.

Along with the addition of new sound-absorbing materials, the cabin of the 2008 Focus is designed and built to be “tighter,” with fewer dashboard openings and better door and instrument panel seals.

Air pressure checks done every day on randomly selected vehicles measure interior air leakage. Reducing such airflow means less wind and road noise inside the car, a detail that customers equate with quality. The tests show that interior air loss on the new Focus has been cut from 200 cubic feet per minute to 125 cfm, a reduction of more than 37 percent.

The Wayne plant has also lengthened its own “squeak and rattle” track, adding more varied surfaces to it so every newly built car can be tested right at the factory.

In addition, employees are able to access a library of recorded squeaks and rattles to assist in identifying and correcting the problem.

“We’re trying to find every potential squeak and rattle. If we find one, we’ll find the cause and ensure every car is squeak and rattle-free. We won’t ship until we get it fixed,” said Wishnousky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts