Ford Inside News banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 LINCOLN MKS: ALL-NEW FULL-SIZE FLAGSHIP SEDAN TO WIN NEW BUYERS THROUGH DESIGN, FEATURES, VALUE

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 14, 2007 – The all-new 2009 Lincoln MKS full-size luxury sedan debuts today, providing customers understated style, first-of-a-kind convenience features, advanced safety and one of the best values in the luxury market.

Unveiled at the Greater Los Angeles International Auto Show, the new Lincoln flagship is designed to help fuel Lincoln’s growth by attracting new customers.

“Lincoln has reestablished itself as a quality and design leader with award-winning products like the Lincoln MKZ, MKX and Navigator,” says Mark Fields, Ford Motor Company’s president of The Americas. “With the Lincoln MKS, we are raising the bar even higher with unparalleled amenities and performance, and a price that should be irresistible to luxury customers.”

The New Lincoln Flagship: A Strong Contender in the Luxury Sedan Segment

The Lincoln MKS is a full-size luxury sedan aimed at bringing new and younger buyers into the Lincoln fold. Not traditional luxury buyers who shop based on name and price tag alone, Lincoln MKS customers are under 50 and value beautiful modern design, more fuel efficiency and good value.

Pricing for Lincoln MKS starts at less than $38,000, a strategic move aimed at attracting new customers to the brand. Many will be first-time luxury buyers, with a significant number expected to migrate from imports. In fact, up to 60 percent of those buying the luxury sedan are expected to be new to Lincoln.

“We’re playing to win with the Lincoln MKS, especially in California, where more luxury vehicles are sold than anywhere else. We will do so by offering confident, understated, respectful luxury – not something that will go out of fashion in a year or two,” said Mike Richards, Lincoln General Marketing Manager. “We’re also making an extra effort to reach out to African American and Hispanic buyers who want and deserve luxury in their lives, in part, through new marketing relationships with artists Common and Juanes.”

Juanes, a 12-time Latin Grammy award winning artist, will help introduce SYNC, which is standard on Lincolns and widely available on Ford and Mercury products, to the Hispanic market. Juanes was recognized by Time magazine as one of the “100 Most Influential People in the World” for his belief in the possibility of social change through music.

Common, an accomplished musician, children’s author and actor, will represent Lincoln beginning in 2008. The partnership will feature multiple levels of advertising, marketing and promotional activities between Lincoln and Common’s wide-ranging businesses and his community service program. Common is currently appearing in the Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington in the Ridley Scott-produced film American Gangster.

Consumers can visit www.lincoln.com to build and price their ideal Lincoln MKS and place their order at their local Lincoln dealer immediately.

To be built at Ford Motor Company’s Chicago Assembly Plant, the Lincoln MKS will begin arriving in Lincoln showrooms next summer.

Loaded with Convenience and Technology: Lincoln MKS offers unprecedented amenities

The Lincoln MKS offers a suite of technologies and features not found on other luxury sedans. They include:
  • SYNC, a hands-free, voice-activated hands-free in-car communication and entertainment system developed by Ford and Microsoft. The system fully integrates most Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones and digital media players, providing customers hands-free cell phone and music selection capabilities.
  • THX®-certified audio system with 5.1 Surround Sound, SIRIUS Travel Link™ and Voice-Activated Navigation, which provides superior sound quality – plus real time traffic updates, movie listings, Doppler radar weather forecasts and even directions to the closest local gas stations with the best prices.
  • Lincoln’s Next-Generation Keypad, which uses heat-sensing technology to bring alive the keypad of LED backlit numerals embedded in the driver side B-pillar. The driver enters a five-digit code to unlock the vehicle.
  • EasyFuel™ Capless Fuel-Filler System, a customer convenience that helps reduce evaporative emissions that create smog and global warming. When fueling is completed, and the nozzle is removed, the system automatically seals shut.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), which allows the driver to set the car’s speed and maintain that speed without using the accelerator pedal. The radar-based system also can monitor the vehicle in front (up to 600 feet) and adjust the speed of the Lincoln MKS to keep it a safe distance behind the lead vehicle. Four settings accommodate different driving styles.
  • Intelligent Access with Push Button Start, which is a first for Lincoln and allows the driver to enter the Lincoln MKS and start the engine without using a key. Drivers simply carry the special fob as they approach the vehicle, touch the keyless entry pad on the B-Pillar, open the door and with the brake pedal engaged, start the engine by pushing a button.
  • Adaptive Headlamps with Automatic High Beams and Standard High-Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps, which enhance nighttime visibility by illuminating more of the road and reducing glare from oncoming traffic. Sensors monitor vehicle speed and steering wheel input engaging electric motors that pivot the left headlamp up to five degrees and the right headlamp up to 15 degrees to increase the driver’s field of vision. Plus, automatic high beams switch to high intensity when no other vehicles are detected.
  • Rain-Sensing Wipers, which are moisture-activated and programmable.
  • Forward Sensing System, which determines how close front objects are while parking.
  • Rearview Camera System, which is mounted beneath the Lincoln Star on the decklid and activated when the vehicle is shifted into reverse, giving the driver a view of what’s behind the vehicle. The system works in conjunction with the vehicle’s reverse sensing system and uses the navigation screen as a display.
Understated Design: Lincoln MKS debuts new design DNA

The Lincoln MKS is the first vehicle to embrace Lincoln’s new design DNA.

“Every element of this luxury sedan reflects the culture of Lincoln – from its well-proportioned athleticism to the design cues we have painstakingly developed, modernizing the best elements over time,” says Peter Horbury, executive director of Design for The Americas.

Its most striking exterior design feature is its double-wing grille, which sweeps up into the jewel-like headlamps, wrapping around the front fascia and forming a sharp crease that defines the high beltline. A subtle kick-up over the rear wheel calls back cue found on many classic Lincolns. Strong shoulders, dramatic C-pillars, clean body sides, a tall rear deck and large wheels and tires lend the Lincoln MKS a confident stance.

Modern luxury carries through inside, as well. Space is abundant, with a class-leading interior package. In fact, the MKS has the largest rear cabin in its class in every important dimension, including head, leg and shoulder room. And Lincoln tends to passengers’ comfort with standard heated rear seats, an overhead skylight and a sun shade for the backlight.

Its interior is sleek. For instance, the Lincoln MKS’s symmetrical instrument panel has fewer break lines than other luxury vehicles. The flow-through center stack is clean and uncluttered, with an information screen integrated at the top. The large center console has a split, two-piece, padded upper section. Each section slides forward individually to form an armrest.

“Luxury buyers still expect rare beauty, but today, they also seek authenticity,” Horbury said.

“This is space Lincoln can rightfully reclaim, given the design of our vehicles and the way we’ve chosen to adorn the MKS with the finest real leathers, rare woods, real aluminum and chrome accents – in a more environmentally responsible way.”

For example, the leather used for the seats is perfected with vegetable dyes and a chromium-free tanning process to create the softest leather ever used in a Lincoln.

It is supplied by Bridge of Weir Leather, the same company that provided hides for the Ford Model T and the iconic Continental Mark II, as well as the Concorde, the Queen Elizabeth 2 and the Burj Al Arab, the world's first 7-star hotel.

Ebony wood used for some models is reclaimed from furniture makers and others sources, offering a rare wood with minimal environmental impact. Also offered is Olive Ash, a wood with a distinctive grain pattern created when the roots of two trees grow together.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Smooth Power: Fuel-efficient V-6 today; V-8 power with V-6 efficiency tomorrow

The Lincoln MKS is powered by a Lincoln exclusive new 3.7-liter V-6 engine. The powertrain has been derived from the proven 3.5-liter V-6 found in the Lincoln MKX, which was voted one of Ward’s 10-Best Engines for 2007.

Both engines share the same strong, die-cast aluminum block and lightweight four-valve heads for smooth operation at high RPMs. The 3.7-liter’s larger cylinders contribute to the increase in horsepower and torque. This engine delivers 270 horsepower and 265 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission with SelectShift that delivers smoother shifts, better fuel economy, acceleration and the option to manually select gears.

“This engine is tuned to maximize the increased torque to improve performance where it’s needed most – standing acceleration and passing,” says Michael Celentino, chief engineer.

Less than a year after launch, the Lincoln MKS will be the first vehicle to offer Ford’s new gasoline turbo direct injection engine technology.

The premium engine – which offers the power and torque of a V-8 with the fuel efficiency of a V-6 – will make the Lincoln MKS the most powerful and fuel-efficient all-wheel drive luxury sedan in the market.

Lincoln MKS also is available with an all-wheel-drive (AWD) system that provides a confident driving experience in all weather. It uses a sophisticated system of clutches to quickly distribute torque between front and rear wheels – up to 100 percent in either direction – to avoid wheel slip. The AWD system works with the standard Advance Trac® stability control system to provide additional stability, transferring torque from side-to-side.

An all-new independent rear suspension design features vertically mounted shock absorbers mounted at the outboard end of the suspension arms near the wheels, maximizing suspension travel and allowing for more precise suspension tuning.

The MacPherson strut and rear-facing L-shaped lower control arm front suspension also was designed to maximize suspension travel and tuned to work in harmony with the rear suspension. As an added benefit, the new suspension design can accommodate larger, 20-inch wheels and tires without compromising ride comfort.

The Lincoln MKS comes standard with 18-inch bright, machined, cast aluminum painted 10-spoke wheels. Nineteen-inch 10-spoke painted, polished or machined aluminum or a class-exclusive 20-inch, 11-spoke, highly polished, cast aluminum wheel are available options.

Building on a Heritage of Safety Leadership

The Lincoln MKS is equipped with a comprehensive package of the latest in active and passive safety features to provide the highest level of protection for all occupants.

Standard safety features include: dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, safety belt pretensioners, load-limiting retractors, driver seat positioning sensor, side air bags and Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags with roll-fold technology and four-wheel ABS brakes.

Additional standard safety features include an anti-theft perimeter alarm, Battery Saver, Belt-Minder®, Child Safety Locks, glow-in-the-dark trunk release, illuminated entry, LATCH (Lower Anchors & Tethers for Children) and a tire pressure monitoring system.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The interior is definately a new level for Lincoln, it seems. I am glad they have moved away from the Retro interior styling. As good as it is, its not as appealing as this.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
CanNot wait to see the MKS in person in a few days!
Think a snap judgement would really be missing the point of the MKS - there's a whole lot going on in its styling, yet it's all subtle...
Another thing is its Size. I know how big the Taurus/Sable is & the MKS is longer, wider, & I think lower
but
I have No idea from the photos.
||: CanNot wait to see the MKS in person in a few days :||

edit: had to add,
I think the MKS is really going to turn heads.
edit2:
just saw a comment elsewhere that gave me the proper words,
Quietly Glamorous :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm definitely impressed. Either it's a heck of a car or a heck of a good press release writer. But the pictures are as convincing as the text. I'm particularly struck by the final look of the interior. It exudes a certain class and air of old luxury, in a modern setting, that somehow wasn't hinted at it any of the earlier pictures. The basic design was the same, but it all came together much better than I expected. The choice of color and material seems very smart, reminiscent of the current Bentleys, different from anything made in the US, and still unique. Congratulations to all involved! Let's hope the driving dynamics live up to the promise. I'd place an order today except then I know I'd regret not waiting for the Twin Force engine option.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ya, it's me...

Gorgeous interior. Absolutely. Superior, even in photos, to most of it's competition and many more costly cars. I wish the STS looked nearly this good. Kudos to the designers and suppliers.

From what I can see from these photos, the only exterior changes from the concept are the hood, facias, grille, and headlamp units. To my eye, all other sheetmetal appears to be the same. Presuming a Spring/ early Summer production start, some 2 1/2 years will have passed since the "concept" was shown. Why so long? Was it becasue of it's luke warm reception and the time needed to do the changes we now see?

I haven't been to Lincoln.com yet to build and compare yet, but the pricing is formidable. As I've said before, Buick dealers will be losing (even more) sleep soon. I'd love to see this, or any American car, conquer some Lexus buyers too. That is a very tall order though.

All in all, I'm glad to see Lincoln back in the game. And this time with a car of it's own. Not just a veneer, no matter how nice or cunningly designed.

Sobe, who wrote all of that copy? You, or is it Ford supplied?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You sneeked this out a little early, didn't you? There's no menton of MKS at the Lincoln site.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Oh man...This is so much better than I expected and so much better than ant Cadillac STS or Chrysler 300 than I have ever seen!

If this is the upcoming direction of Lincoln and the Navigator and MKZ can adapt this styling direction as well as level of build quality and interior craftsmanship, then Lincoln may actually have a chance of returning to their former level of greatness!

I think I will wait until the Twin Force 3.7 is available, then see where my finances are and definitely be getting me on of these!

Love it!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You sneeked this out a little early, didn't you? There's no menton of MKS at the Lincoln site.
Oh, no! The press release and pics are available for everyone to see at media.ford.com and autodeadline.com since 12:01 last night.

Copy is 100% Ford supplied.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Exterior looks great. My only complaint is where the hood meets the grill. It is a noticable transition, and I think that was due to the last minute re-design. I wish the center of the grill was wider and more sculpted too.
A+

Interior is a disappointment to me, even though the materials seem top quality in most areas, the center console and steering wheel are too bland and plastic. The overall interior design would have been OK 15 years ago, but not today.
C

Engine. More torque is good, but come on!!! Only 5 extra HP!! There is no way this should have been approved without being rated 285 at the least!! This is the ONLY engine for a year!! This is a BIG car! it has to compete with the Infiniti M35/45, Lexus GS,and Caddilac STS. The press will kill it, and people who pay $40K for a car just to brag about it, will go elsewhere.
(This engine would be an easy A in the Taurus/Sable, but not for a car costing over 50% more)
B-

Overall a B...An extra $1K to the interior and 20 more HP would have made an A+

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Oh man...This is so much better than I expected and so much better than ant Cadillac STS or Chrysler 300 than I have ever seen!

If this is the upcoming direction of Lincoln and the Navigator and MKZ can adapt this styling direction as well as level of build quality and interior craftsmanship, then Lincoln may actually have a chance of returning to their former level of greatness!

I think I will wait until the Twin Force 3.7 is available, then see where my finances are and definitely be getting me on of these!

Love it!

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061
This car is really good if it got RG to post. seriously.
My attitude. Lincoln is Back

NUFF SED

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Oh !

Oh !

Ole!! Bravo!! better, much better than i expected......the new front fascia, head, headlamps, and, of coure, the new and spectacular grille change the car. Is a pity the taillamps are the same as in the concept....

And in red look amazing!! When i saw this pictures of red MK S, i remember the original aero T-bird in red.... a beautiful car.

Congratulations Lincoln, the interior is better than the CTS!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Oh !

Oh !

Ole!! Bravo!! better, much better than i expected......the new front fascia, head, headlamps, and, of coure, the new and spectacular grille change the car. Is a pity the taillamps are the same as in the concept....

And in red look amazing!! When i saw this pictures of red MK S, i remember the original aero T-bird in red.... a beautiful car.

Congratulations Lincoln, the interior is better than the CTS!
I do not think this thing competes with the CTS, however, I can tell you have not seen the Interior of a CTS. In one word, its good, very good. Better than anything Germans have below $60K.
This Lincoln seems as good, but better is pushing it. I think we should not bring this thread into a Cadillac Vs. Lincoln Match.
How about better than a Buick Lucerne or better than a Lexus ES?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
DEARBORN, Nov. 14, 2007 (FCN) -- The Lincoln MKS sedan, unveiled this week at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show, is the new, full-size flagship for a classic American luxury brand that's on its way back.

2009 Lincoln MKSThe addition of MKS can only strengthen the Lincoln division, which has enjoyed a 15 percent sales increase in the first three quarters of 2007.
Packed with many exclusives, from its engine and suspension to its handcrafted interior and its industry-first technology, the 2009 Lincoln MKS will fill out the Lincoln lineup with a modern twist on the classic American luxury sedan.

"We looked at what Lincoln has stood for, and that is timeless elegance," said Peter Horbury, executive director, Design, North America. "MKS delivers that with a clean, self-confident, dynamic, sophisticated look that will have a presence on the road."

Picking up styling cues from Lincoln's heritage, the MKS is the first vehicle in the Lincoln portfolio to take full advantage of the brand's latest design language -- the look and lines that distinguish Lincoln.

With Lincoln MKS, the look starts up front with the split grille, separated by Lincoln's signature star emblem. The "face" of the car quickly underlines what brand it is, said Horbury, who helped design the car.

"The reactions we’ve been getting are simply amazing. When people see it, they say, 'I know that’s a Lincoln,' " he said.

The design sweeps back to a slight kick-up over the rear wheel, another Lincoln design element. A strip of chrome at the windshield A-pillar sweeps over and outlines the side windows. That is echoed by a chrome strip along the rocker panels, which are integrated -- aircraft-style -- into the doors for ease of entry and exit.

"When you open that door, you can step in and out more easily," said MKS Chief Designer Michael Celentino.

The aircraft motif is a good one since designers set out to offer a "business class" experience with the Lincoln MKS, blending the segment's most spacious cabin with the latest in comfort.

Seats developed specifically for the MKS offer more support and comfort for all passengers. Combined with the power adjustable pedals and a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, the standard heated and cooled front seats offer unlimited adjustment.

There's no skimping on luxury for rear seat passengers, either, thanks to exclusive-to-the-segment standard heated seats and best-in-class head and leg room with the largest rear doors in its class.

The MKS interior offers the finest leather, real wood and real metal details, said Jennifer Hewlett, the car's interior color and materials designer.

"We took a huge step forward on this car in terms of materials," said Hewlett. "For the seats, we've picked the best, thickest and most supple leather that Lincoln has ever offered."

The premium leather comes from the Scottish supplier, Bridge of Weir Leather, which also outfits Volvo, Jaguar and Aston Martin.

Ironically, the supplier's first big contract was to provide leather in 1911 for the English version of the Ford Model T. The company last supplied leather to Lincoln for the legendary 1956 Continental Mark II, said Dale Wallace, the company's sales manager.

The premium leather is tanned in a chromium-free process to reduce heavy metal pollution. It is tanned using dyes from tree bark and it is 100 percent recyclable.

The top of the instrument panel is also hand-wrapped in leather. Below that, two types of sculpted wood trim span the instrument panel and adorn the steering wheel and the door panels. The wood is recycled fine line ebony, used with the charcoal black and the cashmere-and-black interiors, and a rare, distinctive-grained olive ash, which is used with the sterling-and-camel color interior.

Drivers and passengers will also appreciate the new and integrated technology that comes in the MKS.

"The MKS will offer the most comprehensive technological package of any Lincoln and of any vehicle in its segment," said Mike Richards, Lincoln Mercury general marketing manager.

These technologies include:

Lincoln's Next Generation Keypad, an industry-exclusive feature, that integrates the door-unlocking keypad into the driver's side B-pillar, using heat-sensitive, LED-backlit numerals that are only visible upon touch.
Adaptive Cruise Control that uses front-mounted radar to adjust the speed of the MKS to keep it a safe distance from vehicles ahead. Four distance settings allow the driver to adjust the system to his or her driving habits.
Intelligent Access with Push Button Start, a first for Lincoln, allows drivers to enter their car and start the engine without the use of a key, using only the special MKS key fob and the keyless entry pad.
Adaptive Front Lighting with standard high-intensity discharge headlamps and automatic high beams, another first for Lincoln. Sensors translate vehicle speed and steering to pivot the headlamps to increase road visibility for the driver while Auto High Beam sensors click on and off as needed for better visibility.
Rain Sensing Wipers that automatically activate the windshield wipers, based on settings programmed by the driver.
Forward Sensing System, another first for Lincoln, which uses front-mounted sensors to determine the closeness of objects while parking, which is great for parallel parking and tight spots.
EasyFuelEasyFuel, an industry-exclusive feature, saves time when refueling and eliminates the problem of forgetting to put the cap back on. It also provides a better seal than a fuel cap, which, if not replaced correctly, could allow smog-producing emissions to escape and cause an annoying false "Check Engine" light warning.
The MKS will also pamper passengers with exclusive and award-winning infotainment features. Among those are:
Ford SYNC™, the industry-exclusive feature developed with Microsoft that permits the hands-free, in-car, voice-activated use of mobile phones and digital media players through the vehicle's sound system.
THX II-Certified Audio System, which brings the home theater surround sound experience to the open road, thanks to a 12-channel amplifier and 14 speakers.
Next Generation Navigation, which offers real-time traffic and weather information on an eight-inch touch-screen display. The system, which advances one that is already lauded as easy to use, also provides voice-recognition destination entry and can call out street names while en route.
To make sure owners get the most out of the new systems, a tutorial DVD will come with the Lincoln MKS and an informational Web site will be available, said Celentino.
Above all that technology a twin-panel moonroof enhances the ride for everyone. The full-function front panel opens fully, sliding under the rear fixed-glass skylight.

Lincoln designers went beyond just looks to ensure whisper-quiet functioning of the moonroof even at speed. "The MKS moonroof is the quietest in the world right now," said James Baumbick, chief vehicle engineer.

Both moonroofs have their own sunshades but the MKS goes one step further, offering a power rear-window sunshade to block glare and up to 70 percent of incoming sunlight, which helps keep the cabin cooler. For safety, the rear-window sunshade automatically retracts when the car is shifted into reverse.

Exclusive for its segment, the Lincoln MKS also backs up its signature, smooth-sided, strong-shouldered look with available 20-inch wheels, the kind regularly seen on show cars, with no compromise in ride comfort.

"They add to the luxurious and sporty looks of the car," said Celentino.

The larger wheels and tires are made possible by the improvements in the MKS chassis, including a redesigned front suspension and the all-new SR1 (Shock Ratio 1) independent rear suspension. These make for more precise handling and an engaging driving dynamic as well as a luxury ride.

"The MKS puts you in command. It is not the Lincoln of old -- it's a new generation of Lincoln," said Baumbick.

Contributing to this new feeling of quiet luxury are several improvements in noise and vehicle harshness (NVH) technology, he said. Front and rear suspension systems are mounted to isolated subframes to curtail noise and "road rumble." All acoustic materials in the car have been upgraded and enhanced and an acoustic laminated windshield and acoustic laminated side glass also help reduce wind noise. There are also triple seals on the doors to reduce road noise.

Initial testing has shown that, at 50 mph on a road course, the Lincoln MKS is not only quieter than all other vehicles in the segment but on a par with the Lexus LS430, a car priced at twice the estimated price of the Lincoln MKS.

Under the hood, the new 3.7-liter, 273-horsepower V-6 engine brings a solid-performing but more-efficient powerplant to the MKS. The engine is based on the one in the Lincoln MKX crossover, which was voted one of the 10 Best Engines by Ward's AutoWorld this year.

To improve fuel consumption, a driver-activated fuel-saving system called Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO) cuts the fuel to the injectors when the throttle is backed off, as when exiting on a freeway off-ramp.

The SelectShift 6-speed automatic transmission also helps deliver a smoother ride, better fuel economy and enhanced performance feel.

The Lincoln MKS is also available with a premium all-wheel-drive (AWD) system that lets drivers feel confident in all weather conditions. The AWD system works with MKS's standard AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control to provide added sure-footedness.

Other safety features include dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, side air bags, Safety Canopy side curtain air bags and four-wheel ABS brakes.

The MKS will begin arriving in showrooms in mid-2008.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I really love how Lincoln went with a more timeless design theme, than the brash in-your-face style of others. This will look good in 10+ years, where caddy's styling (specifically the CTS, which will get cross-shopped no matter what people say) is already wearing thin.

Here is the useful everyday stuff that impresses me the most about the MKS, and I think they are mostly exclusive in this class, at least at a $38K price point, but please let me know if I am wrong:

-Hidden keypad
-Sync
-Front roof glass panel opens underneath the rear (less wind noise)
-Easy fuel
-Adaptive cruise control (does anyone under $50K offer this feature?)
-8in Nav screen with real time weather/traffic updates
-Starter button
-ADFSO fuel cutoff system (should help it get class leading FE)
-Lexus LS430 NVH levels (wow)
-20in wheels
-Front sensors (would help my wife park this big car in the garage better)
-Did I mention I love my wife dearly(in case she reads this)

Combine all that with Lincoln quality and Taurus-like safety and FE and I think I may own this car next year when the engine upgrade comes. I am not talking about the TF, which will be great, but too much for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is what I think is awesome about the MKS

-Styling: To my eyes its the most handsome car in the luxury class, even better than the XF.

-Interior: Is unique looking and comfortable, like luxury furniture rather than the "techy" interiors of BMW and Lexus. In my opinion only the S80 and the new CTS interior are as good as the MKS'

-Price: $38,000-48,000 price is amazing when you consider what you get. It is far bigger and more powerful than comparable BMW 5 and Merc E, and has a larger interior than the M35/45, GS, CTS, and others.

-Engine: Yeah, I know, its not a billion hp...yet. But it still outpowers the base engine in the 5 and E and we know the engine will get two power boosts in the very near future. ONe of course is the Twin Force option that will "make it the most powerful AWD sedan in its class:eek: . Also, there is rumor that with the 2010 the 3.7 will get a power boost to 300hp or somthing around there. Remember also that the 3.5 V6 was originally supposed to have 250hp but ended up having 265!

-Timing: With the MKZ and MKX Lincoln has done a good job of creating an entry level for its brand. Now, for 2009, all those 2006 Zehpyr 3 yr leases are nearly up...trade ups anyone? For 2009 there will also be a heavily revised MKZ and soon after the MKS we will have the MKL full sized Lincoln crossover.

-Great job Lincoln!!!!!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I really love how Lincoln went with a more timeless design theme, than the brash in-your-face style of others. This will look good in 10+ years, where caddy's styling (specifically the CTS, which will get cross-shopped no matter what people say) is already wearing thin.

I for one love this car, I think its great, but, to declare it better than Cadillacs is sort of naive.
My take is this will probably more than hold its own in the segment, but perhaps the STS will loose out, not by much, but I would hate to see this thread degenerate into a Cadillac Vs. Lincoln thing.
The Cadillac STS is a great sedan in its own right. Given its now almost 5 years old

I would venture to say this will perhaps take sales from the likes of Audi A6 more than Cadillac.​

Its amazing just how fast America has caught up with the Germans​

1 - 20 of 175 Posts