Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I see Lincoln MKS with a Mercury grille.
I do too . . .

I think the exterior is very ahead of the competition.
Only when parked in front of a competitor. The new LaCrosse as fine as it may look, is a trend follower, not a trend setter. Is not much different from a Lexus GS or a Lincoln MKS (look above)
. Al least, every new La Crosse will have 6 speed transmision....that are good news....
What are good news for you are old news for others. For example, the Mercury Montego and the Mercury Sable always had 6 speeds transmissions. So has the MKZ AND the before it the Zephyr.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I do too . . .

I too can see that, but those beautiful flowing lines are what make me like the LaCrosse so much.

Though most of you will disagree, I would much rather own the LaCrosse than the MK-S. The LaCrosse is simply stunning especially from the side.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I do too . . .

Only when parked in front of a competitor. The new LaCrosse as fine as it may look, is a trend follower, not a trend setter. Is not much different from a Lexus GS or a Lincoln MKS (look above)

What are good news for you are old news for others. For example, the Mercury Montego and the Mercury Sable always had 6 speeds transmissions. So has the MKZ AND the before it the Zephyr.
The Buick used the lincoln MKS as a bench mark. I think this site reported on that.
That said, there can be no denying that this buick takes on Classic Buick lines, there is no "copy" of MKS.
The MKS is a very distinctive vehicle, and also has its own Lincoln lines, unique to Lincoln. There is no pulling a "Hyundai" in these two.

As for the 6 speeds, its co developed by GM and Ford. Every company decided to roll it out on different model. Good for Ford, they applied it to Lincoln first.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The Buick LaCrosse needs to be RWD because if it's FWD it'll be such a failure because the exterior design is so athletic and awesome it screams RWD with a V8 engine :) . Even though I'm a hardcore Ford ( Ford , Mercury ,and Lincoln ) I think the Buick LaCrosse exterior looks so good ,on the other hand , the interior looks bland . Good job Buick .

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I do too . . .

Both, Sobe and LM dealer need that a medical doctor review their eyes....soon

What trend follow the new Buick? the bangle-butt-mania?, or the uglycar-mania of the new Mercedes-Benz??

Is not much different from a Lexus GS: maybe the rear window is similar...
Is not much different from a MK S: yes, both have 4 doors

6 speed transmision: are good news coming from GM... i 'm not talking about Ford, i'm discussing a Buick.

And i like a MK S... but i prefer the Buick

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Buick LaCrosse needs to be RWD because if it's FWD it'll be such a failure because the exterior design is so athletic and awesome it screams RWD with a V8 engine :) . Even though I'm a hardcore Ford ( Ford , Mercury ,and Lincoln ) I think the Buick LaCrosse exterior looks so good ,on the other hand , the interior looks bland . Good job Buick .
Its coming with a Haldex AWD system that can pump up to 85% power to the rear wheels. Try it on a Saab V6 Turbo.. Its awesome.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Its coming with a Haldex AWD system that can pump up to 85% power to the rear wheels. Try it on a Saab V6 Turbo.. Its awesome.
...but only with the 3.0 lt engine! not with the 3.5 lt :-( This is one of a few complains i have about this car

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
...but only with the 3.0 lt engine! not with the 3.5 lt :-( This is one of a few complains i have about this car
Actually that is an advantage, since you can add Turbos to the 3.0 Ltr, (Saab Turbos will bolt right on) and it will take the boost, due to a thicker block. GM is setting this Buick up for Modification.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
falcon lover should open his eyes and admit that Buick is a very close copy of the Lincoln MKS. I think Ford Motor Company can take this as a compliment from GM, that they would want to produce a cheaper knock off of the Lincoln. Isnt this what Hyundai used to do?
LM, the cars really do not look alike. Both are true to their particular brands. Surely you can see the Buick lines on the Buick and the MKS is distinctively Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
LM, the cars really do not look alike. Both are true to their particular brands. Surely you can see the Buick lines on the Buick and the MKS is distinctively Lincoln.
I agree Tahoe. In my opinion the LaCrosse looks nothing like the MK-S, the only resemblance I can see is in the side window shape, other than that the two cars look completely different.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Tahoe, the Buick really does resemble the MKS. I really am not sure why everyone here insists on denying it and will take it to the level of insults about our vision. I do not know whether Buick did this on purpose or if it just happened to turn out that way. Both are very good looking cars but the Buick absolutely resembles the Lincoln. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but take it from someone who knows that members are not allowed to insult each other at FoMoCoNews.com.
We can lay this issue to rest here and now

Now lets hear opinions. I personally think both Lincoln and Buick are true to their brands. The similarity in styling is just co-incidental. But we do know Buick benchmarked MKS on driving dynamics and execution. We reported that here before, with pictures to prove it. Meaning, In terms of execution Buick recognizes who the boss is.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
As for the 6 speeds, its co developed by GM and Ford. Every company decided to roll it out on different model. Good for Ford, they applied it to Lincoln first.
More like developed by Ford and paid for by GM. That is why Ford had the right to use it first. But its all good, only that it took GM forever to come with decent engines to use the 6 with.
falconlover said:
What trend follow the new Buick? the bangle-butt-mania?, or the uglycar-mania of the new Mercedes-Benz??
More like this trend . . .

You know that it is totally valid that a design takes inspiration from another. The MKS improved over the GS and the LaCrosse appropriated those improvements.

The only novelty in the LaCrosse is the character line which I said before works beautifully.

BTW. None of this cars touches a Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
falcon lover should open his eyes and admit that Buick is a very close copy of the Lincoln MKS. I think Ford Motor Company can take this as a compliment from GM, that they would want to produce a cheaper knock off of the Lincoln. Isnt this what Hyundai used to do?
If you see both car in 2 dimensions, in a paper or flat angle...maybe the cars look vagely similar ( profile, grenhouse rounded with thick chrome strip... hoffmeister ( BMW ) rear window...) but when you look at in 3 dimension, or in an angle that let both cars shows their curves and theirs flanks, you can see that the MK S is almost plain in their flanks.... and the Buick is very gorgeous, with more volume and more tridimensional bulges and curves...

...and i have my eyes open.....admiring the most beautiful american sedan ever: La Crosse! Only one Buick is near beautiful: the last Riviera coupe. And the other car, sedan, almost as beautiful is the extreme elegant and marvelous 1961 Lincoln Continental.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
More like developed by Ford and paid for by GM. .
Please give us evidence that GM was not involved in the engineering. I love Ford, but I am for giving credit where it is due.

The joint development effort allowed both companies to maximize time and engineering talent to answer a common need for a fuel-efficient transmission that meets the performance needs of high-output, transverse-mount power trains.”
Co-development of the transmission allowed it to reach production in less time and enabled each company to reduce development costs by as much as 50 percent. A common design and many common components are shared between GM and Ford six-speed variants, but each company developed its own controls and calibrations to tailor the shift feel of the transmission to fit their brand characteristics.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/08/25/141299.html
Two areas where automakers will be looking to improve corporate wide fuel economy is with the engine and with transmissions. Fuel efficient engines that still pack enough punch are important, but so is pairing that engine with a transmission that works in sync. Many automakers have been developing a variety of engine choices to improve fuel economy, but they are also building all-new transmissions.
General Motors and Ford teamed up a few years back to begin building a six-speed automatic transmission, a project neither automaker could tackle individually. By sharing costs, each automaker has been able to provide an important engineering component to keep pace with the competition.
GM’s 6T40 transmission is the latest offering from General Motors which promises to help motorists achieve superior fuel economy. Based on the earlier 6T45 — a transmission which could serve both front and all wheel drive — the 6T40 is being paired with the ECOTEC 2.4L. The result is that a car such as the mid-size Chevrolet Malibu can give class-leading fuel numbers of 22 city/32 highway.
The 6T40 and 6T45 are both derived from the 6T75 (pictured), the transmission jointly developed by Ford and General Motors. These newer versions belong exclusively to GM, but variants of the same are likely to be released by Ford too.
GM says the following about their new transmission:

http://www.autotrends.org/technology/transmissions/

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Tahoe, the Buick really does resemble the MKS. I really am not sure why everyone here insists on denying it and will take it to the level of insults about our vision. I do not know whether Buick did this on purpose or if it just happened to turn out that way. Both are very good looking cars but the Buick absolutely resembles the Lincoln. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but take it from someone who knows that members are not allowed to insult each other at FoMoCoNews.com.
I dont wan to insult you, LMdealer.... only to do some fun coments...
I note that when some of us dont have the same opinion as the Moderators, the moderators take an agresive aproach to us...
This forum in only for fun...nothing more..
I like the Buick La Crosse much more than a Lincoln MK S.. but is only my opinion... and i 'm a Ford fan, a number one Ford fan...until death! but now, Buick designers do a better job than Lincoln designers...that's all....

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Thank you for once again stating what is your opinion. You are welcome to yours but you WILL NOT CONVINCE ME! My eyes are also open and my vision is perfect and I cannot see that the MKS is almost Plain? while the Buick is gorgeous? Neither of these cars should be considered the most beautiful american sedan ever.

....for you...is your opinion...for me ,the best designed sedan is this Buick.

Finish...for me , is the last quote in this thread. I will download some pics of the La Crosse....!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
side-stepping the ^debate^ ;)
@2b2, regarding which heat/air vents in the Buick, the centre vents, but in the new Taurus and MK S both side and centre vents.
that's interesting, MKII
I like the LaX's center vents & think I like it's whole scifi-jukebox console-EP
& probably more-than-like the MKS's vents and the Taurus's center vents (not finding a pic of the side vents)

tho truthfully, I didn't like MY Car's center vents when I got it
but very quickly got so used to them, they stopped bothering me
& now I kinda like them

so
maybe my opinion really shouldn't count for much

the thing I don't like (for now) is how the LaX's side vents are kinda all-alone & their shape doesn't remind ME of anything else on the dash - -
- - sorta have this idea of moving the side vents onto the doors & combining them with the handle opening for the 'cleanest look possible' ;)

[takes my obsessive-compulsive meds]
& [returns you to your regularly scheduled thread]

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Yawn. You no nothing about automotive development if you think the LaCrosse was designed with MKS inspiration. The LaCrosse design was locked in YEARS ago (probably about the same time the MKS CONCEPT was shown). Not to mention most of the design work was not even done in North America on the LaCrosse.

Why must every thread on this site turn into a Ford v. XXXX thread? Some are to be expected, but grief, some take it to hear here. It's just a forum! It's ridiculous and why I no longer post on a regular basis. Maybe it would benefit FoMoCo News if Ford did have a near-death experience like GM has had. It irons out the ego problems really quick...GMI has improved two-fold from it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yawn. You no nothing about automotive development if you think the LaCrosse was designed with MKS inspiration. The LaCrosse design was locked in YEARS ago (probably about the same time the MKS CONCEPT was shown). Not to mention most of the design work was not even done in North America on the LaCrosse.
I don't think he meant it that way, not necessarily.
Tahoe, the Buick really does resemble the MKS. I really am not sure why everyone here insists on denying it and will take it to the level of insults about our vision. I do not know whether Buick did this on purpose or if it just happened to turn out that way.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts