Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD vs. 2011 Dodge Durango Crew AWD
Once Trucks, now Crossovers
Edmund's InsideLine
John Pearley Huffman, Contributor |
Published Jan 24, 2011

Not long ago the Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango were engineering throwbacks, midsize SUVs with full ladder frames under their blunt steel bodies, powered by drivetrains swiped from pickups. "They can tow!" their defenders would shout as if that justified their position in the marketplace. "And they can go off-road!" they'd add, as if that mattered.

Both the Explorer and Durango are back for 2011 and now, like virtually every other mainstream crossover SUV against which they compete, they're built around unibody structures covered by sleek sheet metal. Throw your eyes out of focus and there's still some tough truck in their styling, but the engineering now is all car — from multivalve V6s to all-independent suspensions.

And these days such modernity starts just shy of $40,000. Our Durango Crew tester, fitted with the entry navigation/commuter group and the optional Pearl paint cost $37,035. The Explorer XLT including its Driver Connect package, voice-activated navigation, blind spot information system and Trailer Tow package totaled $38,750.

But let's not be coy; these are minivans disguised for 21st-century consumption. They both carry most of the functionality of a minivan — three rows of fold-flat seats and an arcade's worth of available onboard entertainment options — while avoiding the Mom Mobile stigma. These are state-of-the-art breeder buggies optimized for the cut, thrust and commuting of suburban kid toting. But they're coated with just enough ego-soothing plausible deniability.

Still, in suburbia, no one tows anything and all the roads are paved. And one of these crossovers is better than the other.

Full text at the link

BTW, the Explorer won, in case you dared to wonder :p

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Durango does have the better 3rd row, but the Explorer has the better interior and seems wider in the interior as well.
They don't say the Durango third row is better. They say ii was easier to access by their 9 year old. In most everything else the Explorer seems the better vehicle.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
They don't say the Durango third row is better. They say ii was easier to access by their 9 year old. In most everything else the Explorer seems the better vehicle.
Just saying, my size 14 shoe fit in the Durango...but not in the Explorer. Thats the only noticable advantage I noticed in the Durango, everything else was better in the Explorer.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I have a 2007 explorer XLT, and that 3rd row seats are needed eventualy, and are very confortable for all my friends. Sure, none of them is as tall as Ausrutherford....

I hope my new 2012 Explorer (here in Venezuela the 2011 Explorer is the old version) keep the same space in that 3rd row that my old car has

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
I would buy the Explorer, just becouse Ford quality is a better bet. I would say, I like Durango styling better, but I am not sold on Fiat/Chrysler learning quality from each other.
Both have huge quality problems, so i am not sure they could learn from one another lol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why does the Durango look like a RAM when RAM is a separate brand? (Because RAM as a separate brand is stupid)

I'd probably consider the Durango (Or GC) over the Explorer (I'm not a fan of the styling) but would likely never buy a Chrysler product.

6 ft...but I have a size 14 shoe. The shoe would not fit in the Explorer but it did in the Durango.
I'm 6'4 with a size 14. I hate that all the taxis in Chicago have gone to the SWB Grandmakey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts