Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an updated chop of what the MKX could look like after it's 2011 MY redesign:

Here's the old chop for reference:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The zoom isn't working for me. What's different about it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
very nice. the chop is cleaner than your first one, the grille neater, headlights shining now! i love the fact that Lincoln is so beloved at this forum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
is the Navigator still being sold? it just occurred to me that Lincoln has the MKX, the MKT and the Navigator. do they really need 3 vehicles like that? what's the difference in markets for the MKX and the MKT? is it only the 3rd seat? should the MKX shrink or maybe just go away? and typing all these MK- 'names' i'm thinking it's time for real names again. even for someone that reads about cars all the time and have since i was a tot, when you add in the MKZ and MKS, it's all too confusing!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spy shoot
short grill (ala mks)
Sorry, I'm not really seeing much of a difference. Remember, the cladding is covering the top of the headlights and grille on the spy shot.

very nice. the chop is cleaner than your first one, the grille neater, headlights shining now! i love the fact that Lincoln is so beloved at this forum.
Well, the second chop, I took the upper grille/headlights, and the lower grille directly from the MKT. The first chop was done before we saw the MKT fully revealed, so I had to use the upper and lower grille from the MKR concept, and I made up the headlights.

I would say perhaps a little more drama on the hood would do it some justice. Its just a flat surface in this iteration.
I can agree with you on that.....I thought of giving it a mini power dome hood extending from the center grille that surrounds the Lincoln emblem, but didn't feel like it. Something simple like the MKS' hood reverse indent would probably be ok, don't you think?

is the Navigator still being sold? it just occurred to me that Lincoln has the MKX, the MKT and the Navigator. do they really need 3 vehicles like that? what's the difference in markets for the MKX and the MKT? is it only the 3rd seat? should the MKX shrink or maybe just go away? and typing all these MK- 'names' i'm thinking it's time for real names again. even for someone that reads about cars all the time and have since i was a tot, when you add in the MKZ and MKS, it's all too confusing!
Yes, Navigator is still being sold....it only sold 571 units last month (down 52.4% from 1,200 units in June last year), but I believe part of the low sales number (for both Expedition - which actually increased sales by about 200 units - and Navigator) can be attributed to low inventory levels due to the plant changeover this past year.

MKX serves the 2 row, 5 passenger luxury crossover market, and competes with vehicles like the Lexus RX. MKT will serve the 3 row, 6-7 passenger luxury crossover market, and competes with vehicles like the Audi Q7. Navigator (which is actually rumored to be on the chopping block) serves the luxury 7-8 passenger SUV market, and also allows high(er) towing ability for those that may need it.

Indications are that Ford (Lincoln) is fully behind the MKX, and MKT. MKX will not shrink, as it's plaform mates with Edge, which I'm sure will be more differentiated in a full redesign. Also, Lincoln may be getting a version of the Kuga (Escape) that will fit in below the MKX.

While I agree with you about the MK- naming scheme vs. traditional names, I can fully understand why they're using it. The idea behind the MK- scheme is to emphasize the Lincoln brand. They want people to say "I have a LINCOLN" not "I have a Continental". Plus all the other luxury brands are doing it lol.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I can agree with you on that.....I thought of giving it a mini power dome hood extending from the center grille that surrounds the Lincoln emblem, but didn't feel like it. Something simple like the MKS' hood reverse indent would probably be ok, don't you think?...
THANKS for posting the chops, Rmc!! & re: the hood, remember this one?
tho
I think I agree with Lincoln(-Mercury) going with Smooooth-Slippery styling (as long as Lincoln's is Very American... ...Merc can go international all they want Imho :))
yet
if I had the time for an MKX chop, I'd try to have scoops "appear-out-of-nowhere" from a very slick hood**
(if that^ made ANY sense...
...actually, maybe with powered flaps??? :D ! )

** MKG chop for contrast

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps I'll try somthing along those lines if I have time. I'm not promising anything, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts