Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford-India Fiesta might be perfect for a new entry level Mercury. Give it a Mercury front-end and a nicer interior and sell it as the new Bobcat. Since L-M has nothing smaller than the Milan it would provide sales support for L-M without overlapping any Ford product. They could probably bring it in, fully equiped, with a nicer interior and still sell it for a low teens price and make a nice profit.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
here ya go

imho a main deterrent to a short-term model is the parts/service requirements
even if it's 'good enough'

tho $3+ gas was foreseeable, don't think $130 oil was ..yet
like - what's gas/oil gonna be on LaborDay? or even the the 4th of July? (POLL!!!)
so we'll see if Mark Field's longer-term decision to wait for the VerveFiesta works out or not

mini-rant:
IF
they'd just do a Mercury-Focus...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Hope this is a joke. What you Mercury do with an Indian doctored previous generation Fiesta in its showroom while Ford has the award winning current generation in theirs?

If anything they could call it the Mercury Deadcat . . . .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can assure you that this vehicle will never see a Mercury showroom Sobe!
LEts get back on track with the mercury version of the Focus already, hopefully we will see it in Detriot.

LM have you heard anything?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I can assure you that this vehicle will never see a Mercury showroom Sobe!
Thanks LM!
Typically we get the news 5 minutes after the rest of the automotive world. At this point I do not know anymore than has been reported here about the new C Class Mercury. I do know that there will room on the lot where Mountaineers and Sables used to hang out, and I cant wait. I have enjoyed mixed success with Mountaineer and Sable but really look forward to whats coming.
I can't blame you and share your feelings.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't want to sound shrewd but I still am not a fan of the Mercury Bobcat name. It just does sound like a new millennium Mercury name. I think the Bobcat name sounds a little like it should be a pickup truck or cuv. I think the Mercury C-class should be something more than a Cubic-Zirconium name, and have a little class to her. I have a place in my fantasy lineup for a Mercury Mystique named vehicle.

I do agree with bringing the rich heritage of Mercury's past back in for a great revival. I am sorry if this offended anyone, but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mystique? I hated the name! Too evocative sounding.
Good name for a drag queen though.....underneath the makeup and gowns there's a mystery there!

Not as bad a "Probe"....who thinks up these names?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mystique? I hated the name! Too evocative sounding.
Good name for a drag queen though.....underneath the makeup and gowns there's a mystery there!

Not as bad a "Probe"....who thinks up these names?
I would perfer Capri, as it will go with Milan. I also wouldnt mind Lynx or Comet

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I don't want to sound shrewd but I still am not a fan of the Mercury Bobcat name. It just does sound like a new millennium Mercury name. I think the Bobcat name sounds a little like it should be a pickup truck or cuv. I think the Mercury C-class should be something more than a Cubic-Zirconium name, and have a little class to her. I have a place in my fantasy lineup for a Mercury Mystique named vehicle.

I do agree with bringing the rich heritage of Mercury's past back in for a great revival. I am sorry if this offended anyone, but this is just my opinion.
I agree Yellow. Although I have no idea what Ford & Mercury's plans are for this new C-class car, but I have a feeling that it'll have three variants & they will be a sedan, coupe, convertible & if that is that is the case I think the sedan should be named Comet, the Coupe Cougar & the Convertible Capri. Of course that's just my opinion & thoughts, but I think it could work.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
so, Sobe,
do you and NDW have a embargo list
from which you've scheduled 'reveals' for us???

umm... like this one?
Ask NDW. You are crediting me with more powers than what I have (basically ZERO). :p

Capri is a nice name only if the car is a coupe. Otherwise, find another name. Bobcat sucks . . .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree Yellow. Although I have no idea what Ford & Mercury's plans are for this new C-class car, but I have a feeling that it'll have three variants & they will be a sedan, coupe, convertible & if that is that is the case I think the sedan should be named Comet, the Coupe Cougar & the Convertible Capri. Of course that's just my opinion & thoughts, but I think it could work.
I dont know about this coupe Cougar based on this platform but i am open to the idea just to have it back.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cougar should should remain as a midsize coupe if Ford should ever go in this direction. Probe was a small Ford 2dr coupe. back in the 90's. My daughter had one and it was a great car. Never in the shop in the 4 years she had it until another girl hit her head on making a left turn. The Mystique and its sister, Ford Contour was phased out in 2000. This class of car was never replace by Ford. Why not? This is when I believe Ford started to ignore the car part of the division And started a slow nose dive. Ford could use a car in this class. Isn't the Mazda 3 in this class? Why hasn't Ford build such a car?:confused:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
YellowZx5, I've been meaning to ask if
...I think the Mercury C-class should be something more than a Cubic-Zirconium name, and have a little class to her...
you meant a "made-up" name or something else?

&
the Merc C2 coupe(/hatch/dual-hatch!) is exactly what I've wanted
but
I'd like a Cougar to be more... actually to be more car than I personally want - cuz imho that's what would make it a success with sky-high-expectation fans & new customers

I'd be happy driving my XR3 or Milanetto & "drooling fondly" whenever its (moderately)Bigger brother went by.

ALTHO
I still have this nagging hunch about the Reflex possibly being the first-proof of C2 being F-Awd OR RWD capable
(yeah, I know the Reflex concept was smaller than C2
but expect a switch with production
)
in which case
with just a bit more stretch (180" min ovl):

edit
just thought - I'd
*LOVE* to see the new Cougar badge that I AM SO SURE the guys that did the new Mustang logo
Also Did at the same time....

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I need to figure out who at Ford Media could give us pre-Release images. But then, I would be required to really guard them closely. I will work on it this coming year.

This weekend I will go to the San Diego autoshow. I will take as many pictures from Ford Vehicles as possible.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok I heard my name and I now have to comment.

The faux suede interior looks gorgeous. I am so happy to take pictures of my interior for you and post them for, you but I think that I posted them already when I posted the exterior pictures. let me know 2b2, I am more than happy to help you with whatever you need.

Just to add more, LMdealer told me to get my current car vs. a little bit different Milan and my current Milan is way better than I have ever imagined. She has beauty and is exactly what I have expected of a Mercury.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I looked for them on my computer and I have to remember what company I used to upload them before too. I am impressed with the amount of pictures I have. LMdealer, I found pictures from our first Auto Show trip too, LOL. As soon as I find them I will post them in this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts