1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012/2013 Ford Transit mule spied for the first time
WCF

Next-generation Ford Transit transporter van spied with a new front fascia

Yes, this is the story you've all been waiting for - the first spy photos of the next-generation Ford Transit.

This 2012/2013 Ford Transit mule was spotted by our intrepid spy photographers and we can see Ford is trying to hide a new front fascia for the transporter van.

Full text at link

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
We really haven't had enough info to predict what will happen. They can't discontinue the Econoline. It's too iconic. The Transit doesn't look very American.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I kind of hope they keep the Ecoline around for busses and heavy duty vehicles. I am not sure the Transit can preform the same duties that the Econoline can

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I can't picture AMR, Explorer vans, and motorhomes using the Transit. There is nothing wrong with the current Econoline. All it needs is updated styling and some useful technologies.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I can't picture AMR, Explorer vans, and motorhomes using the Transit. There is nothing wrong with the current Econoline. All it needs is updated styling and some useful technologies.
Maybe an update in the suspension as well

·
Registered
220 Posts
I kind of hope they keep the Ecoline around for busses and heavy duty vehicles. I am not sure the Transit can preform the same duties that the Econoline can
I would say the Transit is arguably a lot more flexible and capable than the Econoline. It's offered in both FWD and RWD forms in Europe. The top engine is a turbodiesel with 347 lb./ft. of torque. I think it's a near-certainty that the V-10 is going bye-bye.

However, for U.S. traditionalists, it probably wouldn't be the worst idea if Ford offered a V-8 option on the U.S. model. I think the new 5.0 DOHC is a sweetheart. I think that would make a great engine option. However, it would be nice to get that 3.2 turbodiesel, as well. My guess is one or more EcoBoost options will make an appearance.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I hate that the hood points down on the Transit. That is what bothers me. A van based off of the P415 platform would be better. It would save more money. A 3.5 ecoboost would be great in the Econoline.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe I am missing something - wasn't there a report this week that the E-Series is being discontinued after MY 2012 along with the Ranger?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Transit van (not to be confused with the small Transit Connect) is already a popular vehicle in Europe. While not known in North America, this is a proven platform, not something new.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Transit van (not to be confused with the small Transit Connect) is already a popular vehicle in Europe. While not known in North America, this is a proven platform, not something new.
Its the only only platform I know where you can get either FWD, AWD, or RWD.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Its the only only platform I know where you can get either FWD, AWD, or RWD.
I know the current Econoline has its fans (as did the Panther) but the Transit is a very capable, proven platform, and the multitude of configurations available is a major selling-point. Don't know if we will see all the versions Europe has, but I think it will be a hit stateside. As I said, my vote would be that the U.S. spec model get the 3.5 EcoBoost at the very least, and the 5.0 V8, (if it'll fit).

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I know the current Econoline has its fans (as did the Panther) but the Transit is a very capable, proven platform, and the multitude of configurations available is a major selling-point. Don't know if we will see all the versions Europe has, but I think it will be a hit stateside. As I said, my vote would be that the U.S. spec model get the 3.5 EcoBoost at the very least, and the 5.0 V8, (if it'll fit).
Is the transit as wide?

As a former Econoline owner I am just skeptical over the Transit, I admit it is more flexable but can it handle the abuse that Econolines are use to?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I read that the Life cycle of Econoline Van has been extended through 2015

1 - 17 of 17 Posts