Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given access to a 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo for a week recently. When I first drive the New Beetle about a dozen years ago, I liked the car but it felt like more of a toy than a car I'd buy or recommend. As the years passed, it seemed to find a niche...a feminine niche. Like certain other cars (Volkswagen Cabrio comes to mind), straight guys didn't pay attention to the car much except when the pilot was an attractive female. How do you replace a car that's got the double stigma of being "retro" and a "chick car?"

This new model did something right. I liked it and wouldn't mind driving it as my daily car.

What are your thoughts?

Full review at: http://automotivetraveler.com/jump/3573

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I'll never forget the first time is saw the New Beetle way back when. Driving home one night thru 'BH-adj', there was a string of maybe six (6!) of them going norte on La Cienega ... it was AmAzInG! They were such a 'trip'. I thought at first I'd been caught up in a crew making a SciFi movie, surrounded by the little 'pods'.

Of course when I sat in one it quickly earned the label of 'stupid car' with that ridiculously deep dash and imitation rear seat.

This one seems much more like a 'real' car from pix but it also looks much more like a real car wearing a Beetle costume - or actually a PT Cruiser costume that SHRANK :yikes:
Imho they need to take another hiatus
...& maybe wait for hydrogen propulsion or perhaps super-duper-rubberbands to be developed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My wife had a New Beetle Convertible. I will never own another VW.

The Dealership experience, and service, were excellent. They got to know me on a first name basis however.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife had a New Beetle Convertible. I will never own another VW.

The Dealership experience, and service, were excellent. They got to know me on a first name basis however.
VW owners either love or hate them...there's little in between. I'm driving a new Passat TDI which I love, but I'm being told about fuel system issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts