Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Hyundai Accent Gets Most Power, Fuel Economy in its Class

Hot on the heels of the debut of the Veloster at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Hyundai has unwrapped the all-new 2012 Accent at the Montreal Auto Show. This comes as a surprise as Hyundai Motor America had said the car wouldn’t break cover until the New York Auto Show in April.

A vehicle that made its name in the industry as being a low cost option for those on a budget, Hyundai aims to keep that price structure while out-doing the competition in every other aspect.

Keeping the same styling seen on the Sonata and the new Elantra, the 2012 Accent is powered by a direct-injection 138-hp 1.6-liter 4-cylinder that makes 123 ft-lbs of torque and according to the Canadian press release gets 4.7 L/100 km highway and 6.4 L/100 km regardless of whether you choose the 6-speed automatic or manual. That works out to an incredible 50-mpg highway and 37-mpg city. (Those numbers are, however, imperial and in the U.S. you’re looking at closer to 41-mpg and 30.5 mpg).

Read More...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Oh, oh! This Accent looks really good, both on pictures and paper . . . I will hold my breath until the EPA releases the official fuel economy numbers.

In the Fiesta line the hatch looks better than the sedan, in the Sonic line the sedan looks better than the hatch. Hyundai made both the looking equally good. That is a great start . . . Ford you need to release that EcoBoost Fiesta tomorrow and wipe the word "best" out of every Hyundai press release.

In the meantime it is Kudos Hyundai!! . . . . again!

And for those who are curios about the dash board.

Conservative but very very classy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Sonic is a horrible vehicle - the interior is wretched - something that is becoming commonplace at Chevrolet - they work so hard to try to pull something off and then add details that just screw it up. The Shamaro's interior was the worst in the industry but that Sonic is absolutely dreadful - gimmicks galore and nothing works. The Snuze has all the looks but the execution is weak - while it has been said to be roomy, I found it typically cramped for a Government Motors product - the back seat was in real life no more roomy than a Fiesta to me (I adjusted both vehicle's seats so that I was comfortable in front. Both vehicles had my knees in the back of the rear seat. To put the Snuze in perspective, the Nissan Versa WAS ROOMY - my knees didn't touch the back of the seat.

I find Chevrolet's styling to be stale and bland. The Sonic has horrible proportions - the front end looks like it is from a larger car - the rest of the car, particularly the horrible sedan, looks all smashed. And the hatchback is typical gimmick of concealed rear door handles - a cute touch a decade ago, but so passe' now.

If the Accent is like the rest of the Hyundai line, then Government Motors and Toyota are the companies that should be worried - both are lazy companies with not a hint of styling talent or passion. Both companies are vulnerable to Hyundai which can easily pull ambivalent car buyers - those that might consider Government Motors. Ford has the technology and styling passion to blunt Hyundai, but Government Motors has none of that - a glaring weakness for a company throwing development dollars at a moribund brand, Buick, like it is a stripper.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Looks a bit odd to me...Kia's version will probably look better, just like the Optima makes the Sonata look like an overstyled, extruded bar of soap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts