Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Volkswagen New Mid-Size Sedan Spy Photos - Car and Driver

August 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm by Jon Yanca
Thus far, Volkswagen has only shown us a few sketches of its upcoming Passat replacement for North America, currently known as the New Mid-Size Sedan (NMS). Our illustrator has rendered what we expect the car to look like, but we haven’t caught an actual NMS-bodied car in the wild until now. Here, our shooters have snapped the first pictures of what Volkswagen hopes will be a serious player in the mid-size segment...

...The NMS will be the first vehicle built at VW’s new plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, factory and should arrive in late 2011 as a 2012 model. Until Volkswagen releases more official info, here is a basic rundown of what to expect from the NMS.
  • The NMS will be built using a new, transverse-engine, front-drive platform that will be communal throughout the future VW line.
  • U.S. cars will be powered by the current 2.5-liter five-cylinder and a turbocharged 2.0-liter four. A diesel-powered version has also been confirmed.
  • A hybrid powertrain will find its way into the NMS for 2013.
  • Target pricing will be on par with the mid-size contenders, between $20,000 and $30,000.
  • It will be built in the United States at the Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant.
More...

Related posts:
  1. 2012 Volkswagen New Mid-Size Sedan – Feature
  2. 2011 / 2012 VW Passat Replacement / New Mid-Sized Sedan (NMS) – Car News
  3. 2012 Mercedes-Benz C-class Coupe Spy Photos – Future Cars

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
It looks a lot like the new american Jetta, that is not a good thing. It has a bored and dated style.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would never buy another VW after the horrible experience I had with my 2000 GTI. I also think the styling of their vehicles is getting blander, and they're de-contenting their products a lot compared to years past. The new Jetta is a prime example of that. I think Ford's strategy of offering premium electronics, trim and equipment in all their vehicles is the winning strategy. I think the new Focus will get a lot of conquest sales from current VW owners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts