1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Worrisome, The Escape got the worst fuel economy of the group

·
Registered
193 Posts
Outside of having the worst fuel economy, I consider the Escape to be better than the Forester and Rav4.

Few Notes:

Escape had the lowest "as-tested" price, but didn't come with many features. Part of the issue is they took an SE model which doesn't come with leather for the 2013 model year and it was optioned with the unnecessary glass roof instead. A 2013 SEL FWD model comes in at the same price as the CX-5 and is still 2k cheaper than the as-tested Forester. That model comes with MyFord Touch, dual-zone climate control, etc. It's also a known fact that SEL/Titanium models use a bit better materials in the doors and other various trim versus S and SE models.

I understand MT can't exactly CHOOSE what vehicle they test, but they shouldn't really blast the Escape for not having leather because they weren't given one with it. It's not like Escapes in that price range don't exist with leather.

Ecoboost still has yet to prove its efficiency to the editors of magazines, but actual owners are reporting fuel efficiency that is on-par with the EPA. The biggest problem with Ecoboost is that cars with larger displacement engines are faster while achieving similar results.

Rav4's best attribute is the engine/transmission. It's also roomy. That's where all the pluses end.

Subaru is expensive. It has a CVT that is unrefined (unlike in the turbo model). The interior is drab and the graphics/infotainment system looks like it could be from 2001.

CX-5 is the rightful winner. In their last test, they commented that the engine was the only reason the it didn't win the previous comparison. It's a great car and I wish Ford would take note. Weight savings make a difference both in fuel economy and performance.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like more the exterior of the escape than the forester or the rav4, the escape interior is the best

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm concerned about the reported ride quality of the Escape. It was compared to the current Focus which I found to be very rough and uncomfortable. Just too firm for my taste. If the Escape has the same ride then it is worse than the one it replaced. I don't think that will be good for the Escape's sales numbers. I'll have to drive one soon.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Escape sales numbers are going like gang busters, and for good reason.

Great car, great ride, great utility, great style, great power and fuel economy.

There are no negatives

2.0L GTDI feels like a Focus ST in performance and the coming 1.5L GTDI is better than 1.6L and much more efficient.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been looking at the Escape very closely for our next vehicle, and I am still coming away not sure what to think. I have test driven it a few times at the dealerships (twice a turbo 1.6, once a turbo 2.0 awd and once a turbo 2.0 fwd), and I have been in one several times as a passenger from a co-worker. My thoughts so far:

-I'm not a huge fan of the Turbo engine. The engines in the Escape seem smoother and have less or no turbo lag compared to other recent turbos I have been in, that is the good news. The bad news is that under normal dirving conditions, my friends Escape is NOT hitting epa numbers while he always has in his older cars. That, to me, is not an Escape problem but a problem with turbo cars in general. They do well in EPA tests where the turbos aren't spooled up that much under load, but the way most of us drive (even those like us that are not aggressive) the turbo will be pushed a bit more and that drys up fuel economy. Also, the power just doesn't seem like it should be. We had a 4,000 Saturn Vue with a 252 hp and 240lb tq 3.6 V6, and that seemed a lot quicker than the 2.0 Turbo Escape I drove (that weighed less and had more torque.)

-I liked the looks of the Escape when I first saw it, and I like it more now. I still don't 'love' it, but to me it is near the top of how the exterior looks in all crossovers.

-I know it is a compact crossover, but I wish Ford would focus less in storage with their massive center consols and instead make the seats slightly larger/wider. I'm not a big guy and I easily fit in the seats, but I'm now used to having a wider seat. Some other competitors seem to have a vehicle the same size, but the seats are 1/2 to 1 inche wider, and to me I'm used to it and that is more comfortable.

So overall, I'm not sure where I am with the Escape. Right now, I'm thinking it is a very good vehicle in some ways, but it has a lot of shortcomings too. Basically, I wake up one day and say it is going to be our next vehicle, but by the end of the week I change my mind..and then I'm back to wanting it again a few days later..and the cycle continues. The only bad thing is if we stay in this segment, the CX-5 looks better and better each time I think about it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Thanks, mjd1001!

of course I'm prejudiced since it was love&lust at first sight (& STILL) with the last Mariner
(sigh)
&
coming to believe that FoMoCo *has* de-excellenced the Focus & Escape to protect the Fusion & Edge...
...esp with some lack-of-interior-roominess *weirdness*

Wonder if they'll re-excellence them around MCE-time or CAFE-time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We love our Escape, my only grip is I wish they could stuff a little bigger gas tank in it to get more mileage. It is a little small and I have only been able to get about 350/60 miles out of a tank so far. Maybe I should slow down a little too! Ha ha ha.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I'm concerned about the reported ride quality of the Escape. It was compared to the current Focus which I found to be very rough and uncomfortable. Just too firm for my taste. If the Escape has the same ride then it is worse than the one it replaced. I don't think that will be good for the Escape's sales numbers. I'll have to drive one soon.
Dont worry about the Escape sales numbers... is selling better than any other compact crossover. Is, again, in the top ten list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well we unfortunately have had our first problem with our Escape. We went on a trip out of town this weekend and about halfway to our destination on Friday night our check engine light came on. I didn't notice anything abnormal as far as the vehicle running any differently. I took it in on Saturday and the dealer said they might not be able to get to it because they run a light crew on Saturdays and depending on what it is, it maybe Monday before they could get to it. They did give me loaner car in the meantime! An hour later they called and stated it was an 02 sensor and it should be able to drive fine and they don't have the part for it either. I've dealt with 02 sensors before so I knew already what to expect(no big deal). They gave it back to me and it was washed even in the short time it was there! Great dealership I would say!
Well after leaving the dealer the vehicle stalled twice at two separate lights and ran really rough. So much for giving me peace of mind. But it drove just fine on the highway and we still even managed 28-29mpg.
Needless to say I took it in this morning to our dealership where we purchased it and what a completely different experience. No loaner car, kind of rude, I had to sit and wait for a ride for 40minutes. I gave up and called my wife to get me out of there so I could get to work. I wonder if they will wash it???!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts