Ford Inside News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2013-chevrolet-malibu-coupe-cancelled-39651.html

General Motors had been considering a coupe version of the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu, but it seems that the company has killed the project. According to Inside Line, Ed Welburn, GM Vice President of global design showed journalist a rendering of the vehicle during a recent media event that was held at the company’s design studio in Warren, Michigan.

The details that the artist had created in the image (the one you see here was created by deviantart user Taglane) showed an attractive silhouette and when the executive was asked about the project he admitted that “a Malibu Coupe could be a pretty nice car”.

However, he then explained that this is not in the cards for now, with an e-mail sent subsequently by Chevy’s PR Manager, Michael Albano, confirming that a couple is not planned for the moment.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about a new Fusion/Mondeo coupe and cabrio based on the Evos? Sounds good to me...........

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
How about a new Fusion/Mondeo coupe and cabrio based on the Evos? Sounds good to me...........
I remember hearing about rumors of a Fusion coupe when the Fusion first came out but nothing ever came of it. It would be nice if they offered one, though I would much rather see a 2 door Focus AND Fiesta first

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
ya know...
I've been very disparaging of the sales' possibilities of 2-doors
but
think maybe I've detected a difference between Ford and GM fans' posts about this over the years...
MAYBE the Ford guys really WOULD jump on the opportunity more than the Chevy fans
(or - going out on a limb here;
maybe more Ford buyers ARE Ford fans?)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Coupe sales haven't been good because the Big Three have built crummy ones or when they did build a good one, they let it die on the vine without updating it and keeping it competitive.

I would love to see Ford make a coupe version of the next Fusion. I'd prefer it be its own model like a Torino, Talledaga, or T-Bird with distinctive styling. The base model could have a NA I4 with FWD while the sport model could use the EB I4 and AWD or even the EB 3.5L V6.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Coupe sales haven't been good because the Big Three have built crummy ones or when they did build a good one, they let it die on the vine without updating it and keeping it competitive.

I would love to see Ford make a coupe version of the next Fusion. I'd prefer it be its own model like a Torino, Talledaga, or T-Bird with distinctive styling. The base model could have a NA I4 with FWD while the sport model could use the EB I4 and AWD or even the EB 3.5L V6.
T-Bird should NEVER be FWD ever....

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Yeah..those good old Tempo coupes sure helped Ford compete with the imports!

I think that starting with a respected car like the Fusion, a coupe is worth while even if it doesn't add directly to the profit line. It may help sell more 4-door Fusions and other Fords, simply by building the company image.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Trying to think of an age group or demographic that would prefer the compromises of a coupe Fusion over a sedan, yields me very little.
Perhaps someone who wants FWD/AWD over Mustang. That's about it.
Coupe sales are small here, so I understand why they don't indulge in the massive cost addition and manufacturing complexity.
An Accord coupe sells very few, and would be far fewer if they had a Mustang as well.
As cool as the CTS coupe looks, sales are pathetic.
I expect same for a Malibu coupe.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I blame small sales here on that fact that few are offered and those that were were allowed to wallow and fade. Coupes need to be stylish, which means they require some regular updates so that they can remain steady sellers and halo vehicles. I love a good pony car - a lot! - but they aren't great daily drivers for most people. A sporty, handsome, economical, FWD/AWD, 5 passenger coupe could do well for those who can't afford to have two cars - one for weekdays and one for weekends. Think Grand Am from a few years back. It wasn't all that different mechanically from its GM counterparts but the coupes sold very well because they were unique offering a sporty look inside and out without being over the top and better than average handling without sacrificing ride comfort, all for a reasonable price. The exhaust was tuned a bit to improve its sound, the wheels and tires were larger more for looks than handling, and the instrument panels offered more gauges that were lighted in red. The overall driving experience was very positive for a very reasonable price. That type of approach cold easily be applied to a Malibu coupe and it could be quite successful in sales.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Trying to think of an age group or demographic that would prefer the compromises of a coupe Fusion over a sedan, yields me very little.
Perhaps someone who wants FWD/AWD over Mustang...
maybe someone who wants a couple men to fit in the back seat?

I keep wondering just how affordable alternate bodystyles would be if they were planned for from the start of the design process?
The 3 Mondeo bodytypes (just confirmed) might be a good example.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
^
You mean a couple of small men, 2b2.
They certainly fit now in a sedan, and I don't think I want to sit in the back seat of a mustang again. Kids only, afaiak. Would that not be the case as well for a coupe Fusion. Smaller anyway.
I'm sure there would be more backseat room than in the current Focus sedan. I had a friend with a Tempo coupe. Back then, the platform was smaller than today's Fusion, but it had more rear seat room than today's Focus.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The current Fusion has some pretty decent rear seat legroom, I remember being pretty impressed when my friend bought his 07 Milan.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not a surprising move at all. Given current economic conditions, practicality is going to win out over style/image. I think this is especially true when you move into larger vehicle classes (basically, midsize and larger).

I would personally like to see a swoopy midsize 5-door liftback design with a coupe profile. I don't think there is more of a market for this type of vehicle than a traditional 2-door coupe, but I do think the idea is intriguing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There's no reason a coupe based on a sedan platform would have to have a smaller backseat. In fact, as long as they share the same wheelbase, the backseat area should be virtually identical. Pontiac made a point of pushing that its old Grand Prix (90's model) sedan and coupe shared the same roof panel as well as many other parts beyond the obvious (doors, side glass, rear fenders, interior trim, etc.). Otherwise, the the two cars shared as much as possible. The sacrifice in ease of ingress and egress for mere passengers is well worth the improvement in styling for the owner/driver, IMHO. Having owned two late model Monte Carlos, a '96 Grand Am coupe, a '97 Gran Prix coupe, and a '79 Grand Am coupe (301 4bbl with factory 4 speed and Hurst shifter), my bias toward coupes with room is obvious. I've had my share of ponycars as well but sedan-based 5-passenger coupes have always proved to be excellent daily drivers with great styling, roomy interiors, and very good overall performance. A family man or woman can drive in style while still having the room and comfort they need for their family. With younger kids, a coupe can be safer in that the kids can't open rear doors that don't exist into traffic nor can a stranger/offender open those nonexistent doors to gain access occupants or property within.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The statement was very disappointing for many Chevrolet customers around the world. Because the drawings and specifications was also released to the public who testified that the Malibu Coupe 2013 will be the best car in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts