1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mike Magrath
June 12, 2012
Edmunds

At this weekend's Quicken Loans 400 (rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?), Ford will release a new update to their 2013 Fusion NASCAR racer that will make it look closer to the production car.

The grille slats are actually slats and not just stickers, the hood and front end are more sculpted and reflective of the real car and the fog lights have more detail.

Full text at link

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho's (& that's all these are)
- Ford has really on hit on something - a vehicle that (still) a lot fans will see on "raceday", that actually LOOKS like a car they can buy
- imagine that: making Nascar worthwhile (again) as advertising!
- I expect racing-livery 'skin' options
- & I now expect the other Mfgs to *scramble* to copy Ford's idea
- it'll be interesting to see IF their production cars' styling works aerodynamically for racing

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
it'll be interesting to see IF their production cars' styling works aerodynamically for racing
True, lets wait and see.

I don't know if you can call it a marketing advantage, but GM is joining Chrysler in offering a RWD V8-powered sedan for the road (just like their NASCAR counterparts).
Dodge Charger NASCAR

Chevy SS NASCAR

Its styling will be based on the upcoming Chevy SS (a Holden-based V8 powered RWD sports sedan).

I still prefer the styling of the new Fusion NASCAR though, and I love the styling of the new Fusion road car.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
WoW!
that "charger" really looks like a cross betwn a cartoon character in the 'Cars' movie
& a inflated beach-toy to me
Lightning McQueen! :D
To be fair, I think the Charger NASCAR looks ok too, well maybe not as detailed as the Fusion NASCAR, but I'd say its 2nd best for now.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Nascar needs to go back to running actual cars. These paper cars are a joke.. which makes folks look down upon Nascar.. and whats with all the rules that shun technology.. come on.. They should be going to direct injection like now...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Nascar needs to go back to running actual cars. These paper cars are a joke.. which makes folks look down upon Nascar.. and whats with all the rules that shun technology.. come on.. They should be going to direct injection like now...
True, but I think the new regulations are taking the manufacturers a half-step closer in the right direction. :lmao:

Perhaps NASCAR should become something more like WTCC?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
True, but I think the new regulations are taking the manufacturers a half-step closer in the right direction. :lmao:

Perhaps NASCAR should become something more like WTCC?
or DTM?which is Germany's version of Nascar. The biggest deal being NAScAr needs to be based on actual production cars

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
or DTM?which is Germany's version of Nascar. The biggest deal being NAScAr needs to be based on actual production cars
DTM cars share little or almost nothing with the production cars they represent.

WTCC/ BTCC race cars use modified production car shells, they even retain the drivetrain layout of the road cars they are based on.
This is the reason I think it would be a nice template for NASCAR in the future.
Focus Touring Car

Yes even rear doors remain functional as seen in the photo of this BMW TC (above).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
DTM cars share little or almost nothing with the production cars they represent.

WTCC/ BTCC race cars use modified production car shells, they even retain the drivetrain layout of the road cars they are based on.
This is the reason I think it would be a nice template for NASCAR in the future.
Focus Touring Car

Yes even rear doors remain functional as seen in the photo of this BMW TC (above).
Are you saying DTM cars do not use production Chassis?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts