Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting a long time for information on the next Ford Expedition. My searches have returned the same results for the last year. In my opinion, the 2013 was a big letdown without even adding new engines. My wife wants a new vehicle and keeps talking about the Expedition (we had an 06 and she loved it). However, I'm worried about buying one just to see the next generation bow the next day. Isn't that how it goes?

So, here are my predictions for the next Expedition (hopefully the 2014 debuting this summer or fall):

1 - It retains the body-on-frame breeding of the F-150 instead of going unibody.

2 - It closely mirrors the F-150 and uses the same some of the same aluminum bodywork. (This may be wishful thinking.)

3 - It uses the same Ecoboost and 5.0L engines as the F-150 but will not carry the 6.2L or any diesel version.

4 - There will be some new colors but most of them will be carryovers.

5 - It will have the same HID headlamp options as the F-150.

Am I missing anything? Am I way off base?

Where's the most likely place to find reliable, early information about Ford's actual plans? I thought we'd at least be seeing spy shots by now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should clarify something: I think we're not seeing spy shots of the new Expedition yet because at this point, the F-150 test mules satisfy both vehicles. This is why I predict the shared DNA between the F-150 and the new Expedition. Later we'll see the Expedition test mules when it comes to different transmissions and the IRS. This is pure conjecture.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum, REllisNovak!

...here are my predictions for the next Expedition (hopefully the 2014 debuting this summer or fall):

1 - It retains the body-on-frame breeding of the F-150 instead of going unibody.

2 - It closely mirrors the F-150 and uses the same some of the same aluminum bodywork. (This may be wishful thinking.)

3 - It uses the same Ecoboost and 5.0L engines as the F-150 but will not carry the 6.2L or any diesel version.

Where's the most likely place to find reliable, early information about Ford's actual plans? I thought we'd at least be seeing spy shots by now.
an online document I saw earlier this year indicates the nextgen F-150's Job1 is Q3 2014
so in dealers Sept 2014 at the earliest (could have changed)
+ Wingnut's "clue" (14-16 months from now) might hint at a slightly earlier date for the Expedition...sooner-the-better imho!

Agree with your descriptions!
tho aluminum content may depend on how much goes into the Navigator - ie I expect the Expedition to get less
&but
I don't follow truck stuff too closely but seem to remember diesel(s) being mentioned for some Transit vans recently...
+
sharing the F-150's HLs/frontend would be an interesting route to make differentiating the Navi easier - good idea!
&
Ford had a 6-door Suv design patent online a few years ago.
I'm still wondering if it will show up on any Lincoln...& could see it also on an ExpeditionXL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have one friend in the industry and so I pinged him today. He's not exactly a car guy but a logistics type. He said, "I can put in a pre-order for a 2014 but there aren't any details yet, except it says 5.0 Coyote, whatever that is." I won't pretend things can't change in the next year but that's pretty good news so far if true.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2b2, I think he was talking about the 2014 model year, so being able to order it now (even without details) makes some sense.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
that's why I said that, REllis, most of the time 2014my's intro during 2013cy, &
2015my's launch during 2014cy (ex the nextgen Mustang)
&
we heard there'll be a nextgen F-150 "tease" at this year's NAIAS,(2013cy),
the actual autoshow debut will be later probably nextyear's NAIAS (2014cy)
with Job1 in Q3 (July-Sept 2014) for intro at the dealers' approx 2 months after that (allowing for Ford's 5-days-No-defects start-up policy).
Now,
things might be changing, but a whole year sooner would be Very surprising...even SHOCKing

edit/forgot a point...
There WILL be a 2014my F-150 of course, which your friend could be saying he can order
but
AFAIK, it'll still be the current gen, Not the nextgen

·
Registered
50 Posts
that's why I said that, REllis, most of the time 2014my's intro during 2013cy, &
2015my's launch during 2014cy (ex the nextgen Mustang)
&
we heard there'll be a nextgen F-150 "tease" at this year's NAIAS,(2013cy),
the actual autoshow debut will be later probably nextyear's NAIAS (2014cy)
with Job1 in Q3 (July-Sept 2014) for intro at the dealers' approx 2 months after that (allowing for Ford's 5-days-No-defects start-up policy).
Now,
things might be changing, but a whole year sooner would be Very surprising...even SHOCKing

edit/forgot a point...
There WILL be a 2014my F-150 of course, which your friend could be saying he can order
but
AFAIK, it'll still be the current gen, Not the nextgen
The 2013 Taurus was announced in April 2011!!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I've been waiting a long time for information on the next Ford Expedition. My searches have returned the same results for the last year. In my opinion, the 2013 was a big letdown without even adding new engines. My wife wants a new vehicle and keeps talking about the Expedition (we had an 06 and she loved it). However, I'm worried about buying one just to see the next generation bow the next day. Isn't that how it goes?

So, here are my predictions for the next Expedition (hopefully the 2014 debuting this summer or fall):

I agree with you on all of this. I also think it will be safe to say all the trims will carry over as well such as the King Ranch and such. Maybe Limited will be replaced with Titanium

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the original post. The 2014 Tahoe will be all new. Ford isn't going to want to let a new Chevy take the market over. They are going to want to have a competitive product out there.

I've also heard the 2014 Explorer might be getting a mild refresh.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I agree with the original post. The 2014 Tahoe will be all new. Ford isn't going to want to let a new Chevy take the market over. They are going to want to have a competitive product out there.

I've also heard the 2014 Explorer might be getting a mild refresh.
The Chevrolet Silverado wasn't "all-new". What makes you think the Tahoe will be?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I hope the Expy gets some real attention, I love my older one and aside from a gently-used Excursion diesel (so I could deeply offend Sierra Club types), a new Expy is the only successor I'd want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, the Expy needs some TLC. Granted, I like the current style, but it's going on what, 6 years old now? And even the 2007 re-design seemed more like a refresh to me. I could really go for something "all new" but if all I get are some new engine choices, at least that's something.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I agree, the Expy needs some TLC. Granted, I like the current style, but it's going on what, 6 years old now? And even the 2007 re-design seemed more like a refresh to me. I could really go for something "all new" but if all I get are some new engine choices, at least that's something.
I said for the Navigator the same thing, they need new engines yesterday!

The update in 2007 iirc was a refresh not all new, at least the engine was a carryover.

The next one should be all new

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think this has already been posted in another thread, but check out these renderings at http://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-2014-ford-expedition-rendering-53901.html

The guy did a pretty cool job, and this is exactly the look I was hoping Ford would go for. I could also see this with a Raptor-like version.

And I haven't seen much reaction to the Atlas concept, but that too would make a pretty cool SUV if they wanted to do so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me add, I know it would be ridiculous for Ford to make the 2014 Expy look like a 2009 and up F-150 when it's this close to redesign time for the truck. But my point was, the first gen Expy closely resembled the F-150 at the time, and I wish Ford would do that again.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Let me add, I know it would be ridiculous for Ford to make the 2014 Expy look like a 2009 and up F-150 when it's this close to redesign time for the truck. But my point was, the first gen Expy closely resembled the F-150 at the time, and I wish Ford would do that again.
Someone should do a chop with the Atlas front end on the Expy then!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
hope you don't mind my reposting this here, Andrew
Saw this posted on wikipedia under Lincoln Navigator. NOTE there is no citation so take this for what it is:
"The next generation Lincoln Navigator will not be a repackaged Ford Expedition as the previous generations were. The new Navigator will be designed by Lincolns new design team that designed the new 2013 MKZ. It will be completely new, it will feature new engines (5.0, 3.5 Ecoboost and/or 6.2) new interior and exterior and performance upgrades. The new Navigator will be introduced in 2013 as a 2014 model year along with a new compact crossover. Ford hopes that sales will increase to 32,000 sales a year, around the same as the Cadillac Escalade"

Some of it is true like being designed in the new studio but things I have to question is debuting this year? and 32k sales a year?
&
Agree, *this year* is doubtful
esp since we've heard (unofficially) that the only (all)new SuvCuv for the next 2 years is the MKX

1 - 20 of 24 Posts