Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I understand that the Malibu isn't competitive with the best mid-size sedans available, but I never understood the complaints about its styling. I actually liked the most recent version, and the new one is a little better yet, though neither have class leading styling they are both attractive without being overly agressive.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's hardly ugly or even homely, but it isn't beautiful or even handsome like the Sonata and Fusion. These aren't huge cars so smaller interior dimensions are acceptable but the backseat knee room on the '13 Malibu is far too tight to be competitive. The tweaks made on the '14 will probably be appreciated by Chevy fans who were already considering only this car but I don't think they will be enough to create measurable conquest sales.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It seems the concept of the Malibu design is a good one, but it's in the design details where it falls apart. The 2012 model exterior was nice, but just needed the rear lighting design cleaned up and remove the Camaro like lights, for something more upscale and in balance with the rest of the car. Also the dash layout is more 90's retro/Batmobile than midsize sedan.

But instead Chevy messed with the front end and left the nightmare in the back that will keep it from selling. That giant yellow bowtie ages the car quiet a bit also.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
It's hardly ugly or even homely, but it isn't beautiful or even handsome like the Sonata and Fusion.
This is an example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I cannot stand the looks of the Sonata, I think its horrendous, a four door version of the Toyota Solara, yuck! From purely a styling perspective I would take the Malibu over pretty much every non-luxury midsize car with the exceptions of the Fusion and Mazda 6.

As they say, there is an ass for every seat, which to me is the only way to explain the Sonata! :-(

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This is an example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I cannot stand the looks of the Sonata, I think its horrendous, a four door version of the Toyota Solara, yuck! From purely a styling perspective I would take the Malibu over pretty much every non-luxury midsize car with the exceptions of the Fusion and Mazda 6.

As they say, there is an ass for every seat, which to me is the only way to explain the Sonata! :-(
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I must agree with your ass... er... assessment. The new Hyundais look great to me in that they're fluid with real body lines and they are proportionate with good width matching the length, unlike the last Malibu/G6/Aura, which were too narrow for their lengths. The Elantra is the best looking of the Hyundais and I really like that you can get it in a traditional sedan as well as a coupe and a hatchback; it just needs a turbo model that they offer on the rest of their vehicles. Ford, GM, and Chrysler could learn a thing or two from Hyundai/Kia when it comes to style and packaging. Still, I buy American so rather than the Sonata, I would choose for my midsize sedan the Fusion Titanium, Ford's affordable Aston Martin. Just beautiful! I'd probably wait for a higher output EB I4, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts