Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Toyota Corolla Scores Poorly on New Crash Test
KickingTires.com

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's recently launched small overlap front crash test is one of the more stringent in the industry. A number of compact cars earned top scores of acceptable and good in the test, but the newly redesigned 2014 Toyota Corolla wasn't originally tested.

Note: The 2013 Corolla was not tested because Toyota requested IIHS wait until the 2014 is released that was modified to be safer/stronger. Like they were planning to do with the 2014 Camry. If this is 'safer' the 2013 model must have really been bad, and Toyota knew it.

But today, IIHS released its results and the 2014 Corolla scored a rating of marginal in the crash test, one step up from poor, the lowest score.

From the report: "Structural performance was poor and the driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left lower leg would be possible in a real-world crash of this severity. The dummy's head contacted the front airbag but rolled to the left as the steering wheel moved 4 inches to the right. That left the head vulnerable to contact with forward structures like the windshield pillar and dashboard. The side curtain airbag deployed and had sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with forward side structure, such as the roof rail and interior door panel, and outside objects."

2013 Ford Focus and Honda Civic scored a rating of 'good' and earned Top Safety Pick Plus.

Read more.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
While the photo (above) of the Corolla in the small overlap front crash test is jaw-dropping, the image of a top performer like the Honda Civic (below), which scored a good in the crash test, looks almost identical at first glance
But what about the head on drop off the 30th floor of the parking garage onto main street?

They changed up the test adding the slight overlap and that's where the Toyota failed. The folks at Toyota I'm sure will have this improved for 2015.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But what about the head on drop off the 30th floor of the parking garage onto main street?

They changed up the test adding the slight overlap and that's where the Toyota failed. The folks at Toyota I'm sure will have this improved for 2015.
Actually Toyota asked not to test the last gen Corolla because they know it would fail, and requested they wait for the new 2014 that was to be stronger/safer. But the 2014 was just as unsafe as the previous model. Primarily because the platform and the majority of underbody parts are the same from the previous generation. The same happened with the Camry since the 'new' Camry, is essentially riding on a 10 year old platform and underbody parts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Actually Toyota asked not to test the last gen Corolla because they know it would fail, and requested they wait for the new 2014 that was to be stronger/safer. But the 2014 was just as unsafe as the previous model. Primarily because the platform and the majority of underbody parts are the same from the previous generation. The same happened with the Camry since the 'new' Camry, is essentially riding on a 10 year old platform and underbody parts.
Toyota never gets too caught up in platforms.

Some of my friends who work at the Toyota assembly plant tell me that very little has changed with the "platform" since the first car rolled out there (november 30th 1988)

GM fanatics are the worst for getting revved up about platforms.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The reasons to buy a Toyota are dwindling...
Yeah, and the new look doesn't up the bar in the segment either...I imagine it will look similar for another 10 years!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts