Ford Inside News banner

2015 Acura RDX vs 2015 Lincoln MKC

Tags
2015 acura mkc rdx
12K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  DetroitBORG 
#1 ·
2015 Acura RDX vs 2015 Lincoln MKC

Compact luxury crossovers are growing in popularity and the Acura RDX is one of the hottest vehicles in the segment, selling over 40,000 units in the US last year. That’s better than the Audi Q5, Mercedes GLK or BMW X3.

How does Acura manage it? The RDX is an easy vehicle to live with. But it’s getting a little old and that makes it a vulnerable target.

But Lincoln already knows that. The new MKC offers everything that the RDX doesn’t. It features a turbocharged engine, a suspension with variable stiffness, high-tech safety features and even more. Where the RDX keeps things simple, the MKC throws in a little bit of everything.

read more: http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2015-acura-rdx-vs-2015-lincoln-mkc

See less See more
#6 ·
Acura is in a tough position. People buy an Acura because it's a Honda, not because they're actually competitive with the best premium brands. I haven't seen any surveys lately, but Honda typically has one of the most loyal customer bases in the automotive industry and Acura's success is built upon that and that alone.

#7 ·
Acura is in a tough position. People buy an Acura because it's a Honda, not because they're actually competitive with the best premium brands. I haven't seen any surveys lately, but Honda typically has one of the most loyal customer bases in the automotive industry and Acura's success is built upon that and that alone.
Honda's moto early on was "We Keep It Simple", offering high build quality, high quality parts, high reliability. Not being on the bleeding edge of anything, just do everything very well. From a driving position, Honda cars are easy to drive, offering great visibility with low window sills, huge windshields and almost disappearing hoods.

#8 ·
The RDX is successful because it offers to many 95% of the benefits of owning a luxury product with only 70% of the financial outlay required to own one of the global luxury triumvirates suv's.

#9 ·
The RDX is successful because it offers to many 95% of the benefits of owning a luxury product with only 70% of the financial outlay required to own one of the global luxury triumvirates suv's.
Translated to English, Acura offers good luxury value.
Totally acceptable for others, but if Lincoln offers an entry level product with value, they get condemned by you.

Go figure.

#10 ·
I read this earlier and didn't want to start a new thread for something that was very similar.

Peak MKC? Lincoln’s MKC Sales Growth Finally Suspended In November
By Timothy Cain on December 18, 2014

After increasing sales of the brand’s new Escape-related small crossover in five consecutive months, Lincoln MKC volume levelled off in November 2014 at 2152 units. This represents a 2% drop from the total achieved by the MKC in its best month, October, when 2197 were sold. America’s new vehicle market was 2% larger in November than it was during the prior month.

Have we therefore reached the MKC’s maximum monthly volume? Dealers have plenty of copies to sell: there was a 116-day supply at the beginning of November. 2150 sales per month would put the MKC in the same territory as the much larger and more costly Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, ahead of the smaller BMW X1 and also-ex-PAG Volvo XC60, but well back of class leaders like the Acura RDX, Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK, and BMW X3. This year, the latter four are generating 3610, 3443, 3013, and 2820 average monthly sales, respectively.

We don’t yet know how strong the full force of Lexus’s NX will be. The first 22 NXs were sold at the end of November. It’s also far too early to label the MKC as a hit or miss, regardless of what the mainstream media coverage of Matthew McConaughey advertisements said. (We fully expected to see more and more MKCs on the road as the launch took hold, and thus more Lincolns overall, regardless of whether it was marketed by McConaughey or Megan Mullally.) And if we were going to say the McConaughey ads worked, shouldn’t we now say they stopped working?

Of greater interest to the Ford Motor Company may be the MKC’s ability to generate a good deal extra volume even as the Ford Escape reports improved sales, as well. 2013 was a record sales year for the Escape, and after falling 3% through the first one-third of 2014, Escape sales have increased 7% over the last seven months, the time period in which the Lincoln MKC has been available

continued: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-mkc-sales-growth-finally-suspended-november/

#12 ·
Ford typically has been late to the CUV market but it's vehicles quickly reach the top 3 in the segment. Edge came to the market a few years after the Murano and quickly rose the CUV sales charts. The styling on the second gen Murano did not help but this new 3rd gen may give the new Edge more competition if Nissan can produce enough of them. The Escape was late to the market compared to the Rav4 and has risen to second place competing against the CRV every year. Ford abandoned the Explorer after the firestone crisis and came back with CUV based vehicle and it rose to the top of the segment.

Hopefully this formula can transfer over to Lincoln.

#15 ·
I'm shopping for cars now and the lease rates on the MKC just came down ALLOT. They've also thrown some significant incentives on the MKZ, upto $3,500 in my case (only $1,500 on MKC) so you can get one cheaper than an MKC right now. If you were waiting to get into an MKC, December is your month. Personally I like the MKZ quite a bit more than MKC, MKC is far too small for me. Also not impressed by the ride and power of the 2.3L EB so I'm going to extend my lease until I can get the new MKX (otherwise I'd rather just keep my current MKX). Essentially the MKC drives like a slightly better Escape Titanium, it's surprisingly similar even with the 2.3L EB. Ultimately the MKC and MKX are distinctly different vehicles.

Took some photos while I was there. Fell in love with a Black MKZ, but I'd rather stay in an SUV.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GY8gBYGabEQv

#16 ·
^ from what you've said I see 3 (THREE) levels of Lincoln-ness in the near future

- for new entry-Lux customers: MKC
- for "experienced" recent-Lincoln buyers: Z & X
- for a notch above: MKS(w.i.c.), aluNavi, other undisclosed models

not sure where the illusive/maybe-fictitious "TrueLux" will be...
...if they'll grow another category OR stretch those 3 upwards?

edit
typing "undisclosed" was soooo "PC"
I threw up a little in mouth
:angel

#17 ·
RDX is staying 1,000 units in inventory ahead of MKC at 8800 vs 7800 units. Which keeps sales at about 1,000 units ahead MKC, with Nov sales at 3,436 vs 2,152.

RDX should maintain their lead in Dec with a lower monthly lease down offer. Currently it's $349/mo with $1,999 due at signing. Compared with MKC with a matching $349/mo but a higher $3,448 due at signing. An extra $1,500 makes a difference in the 'entry' luxury market.

While on the topic...

What's up with Ford and Lincoln and their odd 'due at signing' amounts. Unlike all other automakers that set a $999 or $1,499 or $1,999 due at signing, but Ford/Lincoln offers $1,004 or $1,523 or $2,026 due at signing, that misses the marketing mark for each level by being over by a few dollars, by a few dollars on purpose.

#21 ·
^
He appears old enough to recognize a double standard.
Acura has made many attempts at becoming a more premium brand while not losing their inherent Hondaness. Those goals are at odds with each other. From what Lincoln executives have said Lincoln is aiming a great deal higher than Acura, should they still be held to the same standard?

Besides my comment was in regard to his constant "Ford haters..." meme.

#22 ·
Acura is not exactly seen as a rousing success by those who actually pay attention to these sort of things. So if you believe that Lincoln should only be held to the same standards as a brand teetering on the bring of irrelevancy than more power to you.

When one simply refuses to understand that they have lost all objectivity, and that they can not proclaim to be experts on vehicles they are not passionate about nor do they actually experience idiocy typically ensues.

#24 ·
Lol ... MKC showed no growth for a month!!!! APOCALYPSE!!

Silly journalists.

MKC may have reached a (temporary at most imho) peak, but that article is jumping the gun in a major way and it is silly.
I could envision the MKC peaking at 3500 units per month. That'd make me mucho happy.
SILLY! :thumb: ...actually absurd!

1 - the MKC isn't even fully introduced yet. [BL], acting a a 'halo' for each model imho, will have a positive effect. {RedPortfolio} will have another positive effect (a different engine isN'T even required; the 2.3EB can be TUNED higher. Plus electro possibilities).
2 - Advertising hasn't been great shakes yet either imho. I'm positive my non-carguy aquaintances (not friends) don't even know it exists.
3 - afaik the 3500/month that Gjrip mentions is the Max that'll be produced iirc = hard limit
4 - a FULLER LINEUP will eventually have a ""high tide raises all boats"" effect

#25 ·
NAIAS should really help Ford and Lincoln, by finally allowing customers to see, sit in and touch the F-150, Mustang, Expedition, Edge, not to mention introduction of the Ford Performance division too. And Lincoln will be showing off the MKC, MKX and Navigator, but additionally, it will allow customers to finally see and feel Black Label in several models and variants. Sales will surely be boosted as a result, as this will be quite the showing.

Not the best thread to bring this up, so we should create a thread that lists all FoMoCo news at NAIAS.

#26 ·
NAIAS will probably be my first time sitting in an Edge (assuming MKX will be a turntable vehicle only). Unless they've goofed something up big time, I expect the interior dimensions to be about the same or better. So yeah, an Autoshow is always an exciting time when I'm in the market for something genuinely new :).

And with the prices (presumably) going up significantly on MKX, I probably should start seriously looking at the Germans, especially the X5 and ML (or whatever they are calling it now).

MKC sales should start going up in December because the lease rates are much more favorable with adjusted residuals. You can get in an MKC for nearly the same cost as an MKZ which is more heavily incentivized. Just to give you an example, I originally priced up a fully loaded MKC in November, and the monthly payment dropped $44 in December to $493/month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.