Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Scott Burgess | Photos By Jessica Walker | From the February 2015 issue of Motor Trend

What was good for Texas was good for pickups. So full-size pickups got bigger, and midsize trucks began to vanish. Gone were the Ford Ranger, the Dodge Dakota, and, most recently, the GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado.

But three years after disappearing, the Colorado returns, completely redone in more manageable bite-sized proportions compared to those full-sized Texan trucks. The Colorado may not be the biggest pickup in contention for the 2015 Motor Trend Truck of the Year, but it turns out to be the best in more of our judging categories than anything else."The Colorado to me is the perfect-size truck again," Reynolds said. "Its simplicity and purity are what a truck ought to be about."
More on Automobilemag.com:

Indeed, for many, a midsize pickup appeals to a more modest sense of size. The segment has been shrinking due to neglect. So when the Colorado reappeared, it trounced the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier in a comparison test, clearly marking itself as a segment leader. No other vehicle tested stands out as much."This is a really good, honest little truck," Evans said. "I can see it being very popular with small businesses that have been running old Rangers and the like."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/2015_chevrolet_colorado_is_the_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year/#ixzz3KqQhbZds

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I can t believe it. How important is the prize motor trend ??
For GM is important. Is the revenge for the humiliation from 2 years ago in NAIAS when Ford launch the F series concept the same day GM presented the "new" pick ups. Every body talked about .... the Ford!

How many dollars cost GM this prize? Ask Motor Trend...

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Not one single engineering effort worth discussing on this truck, and absolutely nothing revolutionary....short of the fact it is smaller and less capable, which in total makes it a much simpler product to develop.

Or, maybe it's just sour grapes.
Yup, sour grapes.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based off recent MT comparo's, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Ram pulled it off for 3 in a row, but the Colorado completely caught me off guard.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
With diesel loving MT pushing the Ram diesel over the F-150 in their little contest, it would be a huge and even more obvious contradiction for them to make the F-150 Truck of the Year after that. This car magazine with non-truck driving/owning judges seems to struggle to comprehend the greatness of the 2015 F-150.

But without a doubt, the 2015 F-150 is the Truck of the Year......Period!

The 2015 F-150 is now so far ahead of the competition in so many ways, they will never be able to get close.

I think KBB said it best with the 2015 Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Award:

Overall Winner: 2015 Ford F-150

"In a field of 12 stellar category winners, the Ford F-150 stands out for its breakthrough aluminum body, a weight-saving strategy that enables its turbocharged Ecoboost engines – another breakthrough -- to be even more effective and impressive. The fact that all this advanced technology is offered on a price-competitive basis with others in the hotly contested pickup truck class sealed the F-150's win as this year's Overall Best Buy."

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is one of the reasons I dropped my subscription to Motor Trend, they are totally out of step with what their own award means!
Yes, I'm biased, I buy Ford products but for the new F-150 to not win this years Truck of the Year just shows me their bias. The gamble Ford has taken with the new 150 with the use of aluminum body panels is revolutionary, Motor Trend just showed me their award means nothing!

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Chevy paid a lot for this I guess and the MT judges don't have a clue about trucks! poor them, everybody know the F150 should be the Truck of the Year.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The success and sales will speak for itself once they get upto full capacity. MTTOY and NATOY awards are the most coveted but I'm pretty sure the F150 will have many trophies over the next few years. I still believe Ford played it safe with the F150 by making things a little more thicker and heavier than probably was necessary to convince the public aluminum is durable and safe.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Ford was pissed with them first. They even didn't send them cars for recent comparisons like the Taurus one.
Probably, when you give a competitors vehicle a pass on the similar issues but then go overly critical of that same issue on Ford/Lincoln, can you blame them.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yeah, this is beyond bogus.

I think what I place more weight on is the NAIAS awards. If Colorado still wins over F-150 there then Ford has missed something.

There just seems to be some degree of disappointment with Mustang and F-150 from the automotive press, as if the products failed to deliver on their expectations.

But ultimately customers are different than journalists and while Ford rarely wins awards, they usually win customers.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
My two cents:

Ford went to great lengths to make sure that in spite of the revolutionary nature of the new F150 it was still in most regards, an F150. Yes it advances the state of the art in full size truck building, it drives and rides better than the competition, but the sum of those changes didn't take it that far out front of its direct competition. Within the full size truck market you simply don't make major leaps because the segment is just so damn good to begin with.

The GM twins on the other hand really do move forward the mid size truck segment. It is a segment that was good, but not exceptional like full size trucks. It was a segment that has truly rested on its laurels do to an almost complete lack of competition the past half a decade or more.

I don't think the message here is that the GM twins are superior to the new F150, just that they've given life to a previously dormant segment, something that was unexpected.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
My two cents:

Ford went to great lengths to make sure that in spite of the revolutionary nature of the new F150 it was still in most regards, an F150. Yes it advances the state of the art in full size truck building, it drives and rides better than the competition, but the sum of those changes didn't take it that far out front of its direct competition. Within the full size truck market you simply don't make major leaps because the segment is just so damn good to begin with.

The GM twins on the other hand really do move forward the mid size truck segment. It is a segment that was good, but not exceptional like full size trucks. It was a segment that has truly rested on its laurels do to an almost complete lack of competition the past half a decade or more.

I don't think the message here is that the GM twins are superior to the new F150, just that they've given life to a previously dormant segment, something that was unexpected.
You are kidding!

No significant change for the segment to build a big truck for heavy work that sell more than 700 K units a year and represents the 70% of the profits for Ford, in a completly new material (aluminum) that only few car companies are hesitant to do?

No significant change for the segment to drop 800 libs from the weight of a big truck and keep the cargo capacity and towning power?

No significant change to sell a big truck with small engines capables of town like the big V8 from the competition?

No significant change for the segment a truck with some tech that only few German luxury cars has (like 360ª cameras)?

You are kidding. Or you are a Ford hater...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts