Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with '600-plus horsepower' officially unveiled [w/video]

Dodge has officially unveiled the most powerful vehicle to ever wear the Challenger name – the SRT Hellcat – complete with over 600 horsepower courtesy of a supercharged, 6.2-liter Hemi V8. It will be offered alongside the 485-hp Challenger SRT.

The new, force-induced V8 isn't just the most powerful ever fitted to the Challenger, it's the most powerful eight-cylinder Chrysler Group has ever built. Power figures aren't finalized, so expect to see "over 600 hp" bandied about quite a lot. That fury will be channeled through either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. Yes, over 600 ponies through an eight-speed auto. So far, the only vehicle we know of that delivers more output through that many gears is the as-yet untested Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Sadly, we don't have performance metrics just yet, although if this thing can't crack four seconds to 60 miles per hour, we'll be pretty surprised.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/20/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-official/

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the Hellcat name was just internal-code cuz it's trademark wasn't available

but I'm glad to see a partly Mur'can mfg exploit the last few years of petrol-V8-HP!

hope a 700hp LincStang can sneak in under the wire too!!
Lincoln needs a 500hp+ Lincstang coupe ala CTS-V!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
This a fantastic car. Basically it's a tire-fryer with a near-luxury interior AND a contemporary suspension design. While I'm certain the EcoBoost Mustang will have a certain appeal to folks, I'm pretty sure that this thing will leave a lasting impression.

As far as Lincoln/Cadillac product: since someone else brought it up, allow me to say that the CTS-V is far superior to anything Lincoln can currently muster, and I'm talking about the outgoing version.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
just-imho
the gen2 CTS-V Coupe looks too boy-racer
&
the Challenger is old-boy racer (plus HUGE)

_ovl____wlb____w____ht________
197.7 - 116.0 - 75.7 - 57.1 - 2014 Dodge Challenger
195.5 - 114.6 - 72.2 - 57.2 - Cadillac CTS sedan gen3
191.3 - 113.4 - 72.5 - 58.0 - Cadillac CTS sedan gen2
188.5 - 113.4 - 74.1 - 56.0 - current/only CTS Coupe

·
Registered
634 Posts
But it's as amusing as **** to hear certain folks on here talk about it, because in reality the new hi-po MUSTANGS won't be bowing for another year or two, much less any possible Lincstang. Meanwhile, yes, the Challenger is a bit tubby. Always has been. BUT, that hasn't stopped it from putting out some really impressive sales numbers the last year or two... and at least Mopar knows that it's 600-700hp pony car is just that, as opposed to having to try and make do with it as a performance flagship as well... this means it only has two tasks: 1) overheat the tires, and 2) don't overheat anything else.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Actually, I was responding to one of the Admins' comments, I didn't bring it up. Incidentally, I don't appreciate the accusations of trolling... so smarten up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My contributions are always good. You just need to learn to read before you shoot off your mouth.

The new Challenger, however... Walks the walk and talks the talk.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Oh it walks the walk, as long as there is no S's in that walk.

hmmmm. If I recall correctly, that is one thing you harped on the previous gen Mustang for (mercilessly in fact, and daily for months and months).....lack of race track aptitude.
Of course, that was not true at all, but nonetheless, some things are glaringly obvious and biased.

tootles

·
Registered
634 Posts
*sigh*

Seriously. Go back and read my first post in this thread. Notice my remark about the suspension system. I've already covered that.

But, since YOU brought it up I WILL point out that the Dodge has gotten all this attention by NOT advertising hard numbers. Ralph Gilles has played this out brilliantly: no outrageous top-speed claims, no mention of going to the Nurburgring that I'm aware of, not even hard hp numbers yet. The reason is quite simple: he's allowing this pony car to be a pony car as opposed to a performance flagship. That's what the Viper is for. If you don't shoot off your mouth it's pretty hard to be seen as an underachiever when the time comes to put up or shut up.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Ugly?
really? I mean, it is the same design after all these years, sure, with little changed.....but it still works.

Right?
Yeah, it's not sexy. It sits up to high, and it's not sleek. I hated it ever since it came out. I'm hoping the next generation falls in line with the Mustang and Camaro. Some Viper design cues might help.

On the plus side, I'm sure there's plentiful backseat headroom, but it's not a looker like the Mustang and Camaro are.

The old Stealth was more like it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This a fantastic car. Basically it's a tire-fryer with a near-luxury interior AND a contemporary suspension design. While I'm certain the EcoBoost Mustang will have a certain appeal to folks, I'm pretty sure that this thing will leave a lasting impression.

As far as Lincoln/Cadillac product: since someone else brought it up, allow me to say that the CTS-V is far superior to anything Lincoln can currently muster, and I'm talking about the outgoing version.
What is is, actually, is another evolution of multiple-generation-old E-Class bones with more power and some updates...

...but, like has been the case for years, I expect it to inhabit the last, oops, THIRD place in the next inevitable SRT Challenger/ZL1 Camaro/Shelby Mustang comparison.

It's comfy there.

As far as the CTS-V is concerned...I love the performance and utility of the wagon, but like all Caddys, its styling is basically eye-assault and it's still a hairier-chested also-ran that fails to get invited to the cool parties.

Is it more performance than Lincoln offers? Oh, yes, by far...but I'd rather look at the MKT than any more GM Etch-a-Sketch styling errors.

Oh, and you kept after Wings after he backed off somewhat, so yes, you're still a troll. Simple truth.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the Challenger was able to pip the Camaro (and if they bother to include it, the Mustang).

While I admire your dedication to the aesthetics of the Lincoln brand, sales remain in the dumper... not least because folks can see an identical-under-the-skin Ford sharing showroom space with it. Caddy has the better way.

Nice try defending Wings. But backing off "somewhat" don't cut it, especially when he refuses to bother even reading my posts and thereby avoiding a bit more ridicule in the process. I'll give him points for consistency, though: he still sprays around insults like a cow taking a whizz on a flat rock.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the Challenger was able to pip the Camaro (and if they bother to include it, the Mustang).

While I admire your dedication to the aesthetics of the Lincoln brand, sales remain in the dumper... not least because folks can see an identical-under-the-skin Ford sharing showroom space with it. Caddy has the better way.

Nice try defending Wings. But backing off "somewhat" don't cut it, especially when he refuses to bother even reading my posts and thereby avoiding a bit more ridicule in the process. I'll give him points for consistency, though: he still sprays around insults like a cow taking a whizz on a flat rock.
I'm stating a fact about how people were handling things. I've noticed you need to get in a last shot with alarming, maybe comical, consistency. Hence, you'll continue trolling (as you did in your reply) like any other spittle-covered 4th grader in mid-tantrum. Entertaining, but meaning less than nothing.

Even in all my many criticisms of Lincoln, I don't claim the MKZ is identical beneath the skin, nor the upcoming MKC. Meanwhile, Caddy's Escalade is a shelf-papered Tahoe/Suburban, the drivetrain that makes the CTS-V remarkable at all was born with a bow-tie on it, and there's not shortage of parts-bin raiding over there...in the land of a company on pace for 16 million recalls this year.

I have no envy for anything engineered by GM right now, and I wonder if this will lead to their 3rd set of "apology" commercials since Y2K?

Given their attempts to avoid accountability, I wouldn't want anything built by GM...even a pretty impressive (if hideously, monstrously, horribly ugly) sports wagon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You're stating a fact about how "people" were handling things, but I'm the one you're writing?

C'mon. He went off half-cocked, again, and he walked into everything he got, again. He's been like it since AWCC, and we both know it. His disciplinary history here wasn't my doing, either... believe me, there was no spittle flying here, just rolled eyes.

The product criticisms we're bantering back and forth is what this place is supposed to be about... though I do wish you'd refrained from calling me a troll, too. Ah well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts