Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I think it's interesting how VW integrated the Lithium ion batteries under the floor, so that it doesn't eat up cargo space.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^...VW was able to do this because this is a new 2015 platform for the Golf, as compared with the Focus Electric which rides on the older platform from before 2010. But a new platform is coming for the Focus that 'should' offer a better integrated battery pack for whatever vehicle Ford decided will become a c-segment hybrid, Energi or full EV. I expect the same will be the case for the next gen C/D Segment vehicles.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
...as compared with the Focus Electric which rides on the older platform from before 2010.
True, the current Global C platform is a modified C1 platform that was used in the Mk2 Focus which was unveiled in late 2004.

Mk2 Focus

PS: This probably also explains why I felt no real improvement with the Mk3 in terms of interior space/packaging. I drive a Mk2.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I couldn't believe how unintrusive the battery is on the e-Golf. There's even room for a compact spare tire under the panel in the back.

Ford sneakily had the Focus Electric and Fusion Energi rigged so you couldn't open or see in the trunk or fold down the seats to see the intrusiveness of the battery pack. Shame on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts