Ford Inside News banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of it March 6th for my wife to carry our 3 boys around. I wanted 20 inch rims with load leveling but got 22 inch rims with magnetic ride control because of a scarcity of the 20 inch load leveling combo around Dallas and Texas. To be clear we wanted a bench second row, not the buckets. The arm rests on the buckets break in about three seconds with kids pole vaulting with them. Not many 4X4's in Texas, I guess. Really did not care enough to press the issue.

The good, the bad and the ugly.

I know it has gotten knocked for being a mid-cycle refresh rather than a more complete makeover that the GM trio got. My wife is coming from a 2008 Yukon Denali XL 4X4 which was a disappointment in so many respects. Like most GM stuff, looks great in the showroom but one year later the interior is falling apart.

The day after delivery we embarked on a weeklong spring break trip to Steamboat, CO from Dallas. I immediately put the Thule torpedo on top and filled her up. The third row was deployed and all our “stuff” fit behind it or in the torpedo.

Good: The ride is fantastic. The three settings of the magnetic ride control are very noticeable, especially laden. I switched back and forth depending on the road type. The sport mode really helped heading up into the mountains.

The powertrain is very strong. Obviously, as others have pointed out, the rear end gear ratio favors acceleration and towing and it really shows. The truck launches from a stop with a slight bit of turbo lag of the line but once the turbos spool the acceleration is very brisk. The tranny is well sorted as it should be given the amount of time it has been around. It seems like it finds the right gear about 90% of the time but aggressive upshifts are there for fuel economy no doubt. If I do not like the gear there is always the override. It pulled very strong up the hills and at elevation which is where the twin turbos really help offset the effect of altitude. Throttle tip in acceleration in both 5th and 6th was outstanding uphill and at altitude - very impressive power. Downshifting did not help much in slowing the vehicle until 3rd gear where she was really spooled up. Engine breaking is not like the 5.0 V8 in my F-150 which is what we took over Christmas.

The power train is virtually silent even at full boogie. It is so quiet it really augments the wind noise. The motor is so quiet at idle that I walked away from it running a few times forgetting it was on. It has a push button start stop. As well, the 22 inch Pirelli’s road noise was very quiet except on certain surfaces. I had to open the windows to get an appreciation for the engine noise and you can clearly hear the turbos whining, which is nice. The overall interior is very quiet.

It is very nice to see a 4X4 control switch. The Yukon had no switch and I never had any idea if it was active or not. You can put it in 4 wheel auto if you so choose.

The interior is very nice, very much like a prior gen F150. The center stack is very functional and Ford Sync/My Touch/Nav is predictable. Voice recognition worked well. My wife and I had our iphones hooked up to the USB’s in the center console and we were able to play our music - though I recommend you navigate it on the phone and not the menu on screen. No great surprises on the inside. Some bad and ugly which I will get to.

Third row electric fold flats are awesome, not doubt about.

The Bad and Ugly:

The stereo is like 98% of other factory systems. A lot of Sony, 800 watts this and that marketing jumbo for mediocre sound.

Product cheapening or avoidance. They clearly could have pulled a few more items from the F150 parts bin.

Soft touch surfaces on the inside especially the upper surfaces. Lane departure. Adaptive cruise. Heated steering wheel. Better seats with more adjustments and perhaps massaging features like in the Taurus. They are not uncomfortable, but could be better. I personally would like a heads up display too, but that is just me and it is a luxury item.

The biggest disappointment here is lighting. Inside and out (yes it has the adjustable LED accent lighting but I am talking about where it counts). LED please inside. The added projector headlights but they are halogen and not HID. My 2014 F150 has the same housing and is HID. A separate set of fog lamps would be nice. How much would have nice LED/light pipe taillights cost (you can get them on a Dart and other vehicles costing less than $20k)? It really would have helped kick it up a notch.

The gauge cluster is right off a Ford Escape Titanium. Fine in that you have to two digital screens but the speedo looks like it is off my grandfather’s 1988 Ranger. Come on Ford, you can do better.

How about a color matched under carriage receiver cover for when it is not in use? $5 bucks maybe - COGS?

Looks are okay, we purchased magnetic on black. Styling is conservative. I expect in a few years when they push the aluminum version it will soften the features and align it more with the Explorer and Escape and further away from the F-Series. This truck will be great until that vehicle comes along and has a year or two under its belt. I expect that would be 2019 or 2020.

All in all, I feel like the vehicle is very good quality but they could have gone a little further for even the mid-cycle update and drawn better accolades. The powertrain here as well as handling dynamics are what set it off from its competition. It feels very refined and is a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats! Great write up. Pics?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will post some pics ASAP.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Somebody in my neighborhood bought an Expedition exactly like you describe, you don't live in Rochester do ya? ;)

Congrats! The Expedition and Navigator are indeed very light on modern amenities.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Great review. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Dallas, TX. Pretty far from Rochester.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Expedition (not EL) Limited 4 x 4 on order. The sales person called with the VIN recently and said it will be delivered the last week of March - into the week of April.

This will be my first Ford. I have owned GM and Dodge vehicles since I was 16 (when I bought a 1965 Malilbu......). I am buying the vehicle based upon the recommendation of a close friend who bought a new Expediton several years ago.

One thing about the Expedition that sold me is the LACK of safety recalls for the model. For the 2011 - 2015 model years - there have only been two safety recalls. GM continues to recall new vehicles at a massive rate. I looked at the 2015 Tahoe, but it already has six safety recalls issued and the model year is not over. The third row also had very little room.

I realized the 2015 Expedition is not "all new" with numerous new features. But it seems to be a reliable, proven vehicle. I am looking forward to getting it. It will replace a Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4. I wanted a larger vehicle with more space to accomodate grandchildren.

Good luck with your vehicle. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I have a 2015 Expedition (not EL) Limited 4 x 4 on order. The sales person called with the VIN recently and said it will be delivered the last week of March - into the week of April.

This will be my first Ford. I have owned GM and Dodge vehicles since I was 16 (when I bought a 1965 Malilbu......). I am buying the vehicle based upon the recommendation of a close friend who bought a new Expediton several years ago.

One thing about the Expedition that sold me is the LACK of safety recalls for the model. For the 2011 - 2015 model years - there have only been two safety recalls. GM continues to recall new vehicles at a massive rate. I looked at the 2015 Tahoe, but it already has six safety recalls issued and the model year is not over. The third row also had very little room.

I realized the 2015 Expedition is not "all new" with numerous new features. But it seems to be a reliable, proven vehicle. I am looking forward to getting it. It will replace a Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4. I wanted a larger vehicle with more space to accomodate grandchildren.

Good luck with your vehicle. Thanks for the review.
Be sure to post pics when it arrives!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts