Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford Edge gets an updated platform, bolder styling and a standard 2.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost engine pumping out 245 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque for the 2015 model year. You might expect that all those new features would result in a big price bump, but you'd be wrong. Ford is keeping costs identical to the 2014 model with a starting MSRP of $28,100 (*plus an $895 destination charge), according to Edmunds. Ford spokesperson William Mattiace confirmed the numbers to Autoblog.

That's a pretty good deal, but the real ticket here might be the model's Sport trim. Buyers get a 2.7-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 EcoBoost engine with over 300 horsepower and standard adaptive steering for $28,600 plus destination. That's just $500 more than the base model.

Pricing for the Titanium trim has not yet been announced, but it'll be a short wait to find out. Mattiace tells Autoblog that full pricing and the configuration for the model will launch on November 5. He has also confirmed that the 2015 Edge will begin hitting dealers in the first quarter of 2015.

The 2015 Edge is the first Ford in the US to come with a standard EcoBoost engine, although a more traditional naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 is also an option. All models come with a six-speed automatic, with the 2.0L EcoBoost available exclusively in front-wheel drive and the 2.7L and 3.5L models gaining optional all-wheel drive traction. The Sport and Titanium trims have active steering, and other tech upgrades include active grille shutters for select models and an air-curtain system to improve aerodynamics around the wheels. Look for even more details when the configurator comes online.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/04/2015-ford-edge-pricing-28100/

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fact check:
-2.7L will be more hp than F-150 but less torque, so more than the 300 listed there.
-2.0L is not the same as current and will see a significant bump in hp.

Opinion:
-Edge in Sport trim with the 2.7L it should be a blast to drive yet yielding impressive mpg.
-Combination of new Edge, Focus, Fiesta, Explorer, Mustang and F-150 should help boost sales significantly in the next 8 months or so, as will new SD, Taurus shortly after that.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Woah, $50K for a fully-optioned Edge Sport. No more 22" wheels :(

Here is the configurator btw. http://bp3.ford.com/2015-Ford-Edge?branding=1&lang=en&welcomeMessage=false#/Models/

MKX maxes out at around $53K now so the next MKX will likely jump quite a bit on that, expecting $64K with Black Label.

The baseline pricing is always a misleading figure to look at, it's how the options price out that matters and the Edge does NOT hold the line, which is normal.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baseline is same. That is a good thing. Nothing misleading either because adding a whole range of new technology and features and power with the 2.7L obviously is where the added cost comes from. You play, you pay.
And honestly, 22" wheels on that vehicle was a joke. All you need to do is drive in one with them and see. It is barely tolerable. Who the **** wants that on $50K vehicle that will never see any G forces. And at $300 a pop, you will be thanking Ford for not offering them. I think Ford recognized that many did not want them in the first place, and affected their sales.

Oh, and no way will an MKX will top over $60K.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I realize this attitude is based on myth more than real world experience because I had the same doubts. I actually own an MKX with 22" wheels and I love them. Those large wide wheels actually improve comfort and handling significantly, I should know since I've owned an MKX with 18", 20" and 22". And those wheels and tires are so big that they don't bottom out on potholes like smaller wheels will, especially if they are low profile tires.

The other issue here is that the 21" wheel option is only available in black, which is even more ridiculous than 22" wheels. Black wheels on a black car look off, it's fine if you pick another color (like White).

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize this attitude is based on myth more than real world experience because I had the same doubts. I actually own an MKX with 22" wheels and I love them. Those large wide wheels actually improve comfort and handling significantly, I should know since I've owned an MKX with 18", 20" and 22". And those wheels and tires are so big that they don't bottom out on potholes like smaller wheels will, especially if they are low profile tires.

The other issue here is that the 21" wheel option is only available in black, which is even more ridiculous than 22" wheels. Black wheels on a black car look off, it's fine if you pick another color (like White).
You might be right here, but also consider the suspension tuning from an Edge sport is much different than a Lincoln. And do you have the Pirelli Scorpions on there (forget which ones)? If different, that could be a factor too. But I will say this much, and perhaps I am biased toward my Explorer Sport, but that Edge I drove in, sitting in the back seat, was attrocious and one of the worst riding new cars I have ever been in. I blamed the tire/suspension combo, but the short wheelbase did not help either.

Anyway, Ford must know something we don't, as I doubt they would not exclude the 22's if proven popular.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

Hyundai/Kia is now offering 3 different models(two 5 passenger and one 7 passenger) targeting the same segment as the Edge, and starting $3k less at $25k. Both Hyundai/Kia models with more elegant, more upscale looking front end treatments than the Ford.

With the Santa Fe, offered in both 5 passenger and 7 passenger, up 21% YTD(97k) and just 3k units behind Edge down 13.8%. With Santa Fe Nov sales of 9787 vs 7648(Edge), the Santa Fe is on track to outsell the Edge for 2014. That's not including the Sorento at 92k YTD and sales of 8,598 for Nov. With a 7 passenger version expected later next year.

Looking at the big picture, at 189k sales YTD Hyundai/Kia is far ahead of Ford with just the 5 passenger Edge in the SUV midsize 'non-offload' SUV category.

With no companion brand like Mercury to offer another sub $30k model, and no 7 passenger offering scheduled for the US, it looks Ford is ready to give up the midsize CUV market leadership to Hyundai/Kia.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Still scratching my head about not offering the 2.7l in the Titanium. Why??

Oh, and no way will an MKX will top over $60K.
BORG's estimate is much more realistic. A non-BL MKZ and MKC maxes out over 50k, a loaded BL MKX will be around 60k, over twice the price of a base Edge...

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still scratching my head about not offering the 2.7l in the Titanium. Why??

BORG's estimate is much more realistic. A non-BL MKZ and MKC maxes out over 50k, a loaded BL MKX will be around 60k, over twice the price of a base Edge...
His estimate was $65K. I said $60K tops. If it reaches $62K, i am still closer.

As for relative upper level pricing, I too get sticker shock comparing to base price, but obviously Ford is seeing success with take rates on loaded models higher than ever. And remember, luxury cars just 10 years ago did not come with half of the technological features available today, including massive sunroofs and other costly add-ons.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

How can you actually provide quality, and factual commentary on a car that you actually own? Surely the things you say in relation to ride quality you say in jest? I actually have been told the same thing numerous times on my 300 SRT8 with 22 inch wheels as if I have no clue how divergent the ride quality is versus oem specifications.

;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Those are 22"? Might be a good idea to ask for a new ruler for Christmas......

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/germeezy1/media/2012-01-27_16-34-46_153.jpg.html

Having said that, my experience is a bigger rim improves one aspect, but has a negative trade off with another, just like a smaller rim excels in one attribute, it suffers in another.

IMHO unless you had, 18, 20 and 22 inch rims on the SAME MKX, a comparison is flawed.

I'm also puzzled as how a pothole can't swallow a 22" rim, but it can swallow an 18" when the OD is basically the same.

For me; when I'm hitting potholes I want 18's when I have good roads I want 20's and when I'm making a drug run, 22's, but again that's just me.......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are 22"? Might be a good idea to ask for a new ruler for Christmas......

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/germeezy1/media/2012-01-27_16-34-46_153.jpg.html

Having said that, my experience is a bigger rim improves one aspect, but has a negative trade off with another, just like a smaller rim excels in one attribute, it suffers in another.

IMHO unless you had, 18, 20 and 22 inch rims on the SAME MKX, a comparison is flawed.

I'm also puzzled as how a pothole can't swallow a 22" rim, but it can swallow an 18" when the OD is basically the same.

For me; when I'm hitting potholes I want 18's when I have good roads I want 20's and when I'm making a drug run, 22's, but again that's just me.......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Good points on basically similar total diameter from an 18 to a 22" with only a slight difference, due to the lower profile.

I had mentioned earlier that I drove in a Ford Edge Sport with the 22" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion tires, and the ride was very rough, as I felt every single expansion joint in the road, And being in the 2nd row only compounded that, along with stiffer CUV suspension tuning. Borg mentioned his MKX has the same size wheels, although not sure about the tires, but claims the ride was improved over his previous MKX with taller profile tires. Now, I have not driven in that combination, but honestly, how different can they be with essentially the same exact suspension, slightly different tuning? I can't imagine much.

Anyway, I digress. This Edge comes with 21" wheels, which might be for a good reason.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My concern with the Edge Sport is that the 21" wheels are only available with Summer Tires, that's not something I really want around Michigan. And they are ultra-low profile tires. This wasn't the case with the 22"s on the Edge Sport or MKX.

The Lincoln MKX rides beautifully with the 22" wheels, the only negative I noticed between the 20" and 22" wheels is a very moderate rebound oscillation from the travel of the wheels over rough pavement. I assume that's caused by the weight of the wheels rebounding.

The tires are getting noisier as they get older and may need rebalancing. The other issue I've run into with the rims is some spider-webbing on the finish on the inside edges of the spokes.

In the end I absolutely freaking love the 22's on my MKX. They look good, drive nice, and are surprisingly well suited to potholes.

As for Santa Fe Sales, those are two separate cars to Ford (Edge and Explorer) and they sell far more at far higher prices.

The Edge has gotten VERY expensive in 2015, the price of a fully optioned Sport is up to over $50K, which is just shy of my loaded MKX and not too far from the Explore Platinuum. So I can guarantee you the equivalent MKX will be over $60K and BL will put it closer to $70K. The top end MKX usually has a $10K premium over the top-end Edge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts