Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the press are getting their hands on the Edge now, they are also being spotted in the wild.

Here is Consumer Report's first look.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The early-production 2015 Edge we rented from Ford had surprising punch, with quick acceleration and swift throttle response, thanks to the turbocharged 245-horsepower, 2.0-liter engine. The six-speed automatic transmission was quite seamless. Ford also offers a 3.5-liter V6; the 2.7-liter turbo V6 is reserved for the Sport version.
Direct, responsive steering and tight body control give the Edge an agile, light-on-its feet demeanor. The firm-yet-supple suspension delivered a remarkably good ride, soaking up even the bumps on our winter-ravaged roads. This feat is impressive given that our sample was equipped with 20-inch tires—a fitment often associated with adding ride harshness. The cabin stays noticeably quiet.
The Edge gets a significant upgrade inside, with an upscale, and well put together interior—especially in the top-level Titanium trim we sampled. Rich-looking padded surfaces on the doors and dash, contrasting stitching, leather seats, and materials with a quality feel throughout make for a cabin that would not look out of place in a luxury car. A panoramic sunroof lends an airy feel. Creature comforts include heated seats front and rear, with cooling for front passengers. The heated steering wheel came in handy, as well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/03/2016-ford-edge-review/index.htm

·
Registered
401 Posts
Any news about getting the carpaly app in the upcoming Sync 3?.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Yet another review from Automobile Magazine, also glowing. I'm becoming more convinced I should skip the MKX and get the Edge Sport.

http://www.automobilemag.com/review...=10152550015955904&adbpl=fb&adbpr=20553875903
"OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but the 2015 Ford Edge Sport has more than enough power, and it handles really, really well … for a tall, 4,300-or-so-pound sport-utility vehicle."

But remember, that same 2.7L EcoBoost is going into the sweet looking 2016 MKX also...

·
Registered
528 Posts
"OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but the 2015 Ford Edge Sport has more than enough power, and it handles really, really well … for a tall, 4,300-or-so-pound sport-utility vehicle."

But remember, that same 2.7L EcoBoost is going into the sweet looking 2016 MKX also...

the MKX is so much better looking vehicle.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Interesting, I noticed the new Edge has a hood strut just like the euro Mondeo (Fusion has a prop rod).
It's odd that the larger more expensive Explorer has a prop rod.
How does Ford decide which models get a hood strut or a prop rod?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yet another review from Automobile Magazine, also glowing. I'm becoming more convinced I should skip the MKX and get the Edge Sport.

http://www.automobilemag.com/review...=10152550015955904&adbpl=fb&adbpr=20553875903
I will be skipping the MKX. The MKX has more bells and whistles, but you are going the pay for it, and if the numbers LincolnFanFI posted are correct the MKX is not worth it to me. My lease is up in October, and I hope the 2016 Edge Sport will be available with the 21inch wheels and SYNC 3 by then.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I would stick with the Titanium with the 2.7L. The Sport is really only Sport in appearance, relative to the Titanium, and you have to live with the additional harshness. Ford’s typically ride firm already, and combined with the short wheelbase, you are pushing the envelope with 21” wheels. They may have improved the dampening, but you can only do so much without variable dampening. Besides, it’s not like anyone is going to track a 4300lbs Edge to gain a fraction of a tenth of a second with the Sport package. So you really only pay for the looks. The MKX would benefit greatly with the variable dampening. That I would love to drive and it is worth the price of admission over the Titanium.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would stick with the Titanium with the 2.7L. The Sport is really only Sport in appearance, relative to the Titanium, and you have to live with the additional harshness. Ford’s typically ride firm already, and combined with the short wheelbase, you are pushing the envelope with 21” wheels. They may have improved the dampening, but you can only do so much without variable dampening. Besides, it’s not like anyone is going to track a 4300lbs Edge to gain a fraction of a tenth of a second with the Sport package. So you really only pay for the looks. The MKX would benefit greatly with the variable dampening. That I would love to drive and it is worth the price of admission over the Titanium.
The Titanium model does not come with the 2.7EB. I guess everyone feels different, and I have the 22inch wheels on my 2013 Edge Sport, and the ride is not harsh to me. I never heard my wife or any passengers complain about the ride either. I will not buy the 2016 Edge Sport without the 21inch wheels. If Ford though the ride would be, so harsh that consumers would not buy then they would not offer it, but they do. I see a lot of Sport Edges, so a lot of people do not think the ride is harsh.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Sport ride is harsh.
Tolerable in the front seats. Miserable in the back seats.
This is hardly an opinion.

And oops, my bad on the 2.7L. I thought I read it comes in Titanium.
Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. You must have a bad back or something as the ride does not bother me.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
When the road gets a bit rough, the combination of an already stiff CUV suspension and a short wheelbase and additional firmness for a Sport setup and 22” wheels, brings out the worst on that tired old chassis.
Just because you can tolerate it, does not mean it is NOT an overly harsh ride. I thought my Explorer Sport a much longer wheelbase and 20” wheels was a bit too firm. Nothing compared to that Sport Edge.

And I bet you a Fresca you have not driven much if at all in that 2nd row. It really is bad.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Unfortunatley this puts more pressure on the MKX to be outstanding with the good reviews of the Edge so far. Upgraded leather and audio won't be enough to stop the inevitable "gussied" up Edge comparo's.

I see more Edge Sports in my area versus the standard model, those big wheels look really nice on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts