Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Ford Everest to be unveiled on November 14, new details emerge

Previewed by a namesake concept, the vehicle will reportedly ride on the same platform as the Ranger but with a Watts link coil spring rear suspension and will be available in both 4x2 and 4x4 configurations. Power is expected to come from an inline-four 2.2-liter TDCI engine as well as from a larger inline-five 3.2-liter TDCI motor which will work exclusively with a 4x4 system.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114103083560/2015-ford-everest-to-be-unveiled-on-november-14-new-details

·
Registered
287 Posts
This isn't really anything to get excited about; from what I can tell from the spy pix, it looks exactly like the concept. It will be interesting to see if it gets terrain response, though, like in the explorer.

BTW, this will be debuting just a few days before the MCE'd explorer does on Nov 19. You see, the differences between the Explorer and the Everest are analogous to the overall differences between what americans want in SUVs, and what other, less developed (no offense) markets want in SUVs.

In a way, the current unibody explorer is actually more similar to the expedition than the expedition is to the everest. Why? Because both the explorer and expy are basically big station wagons (which I say endearingly) with better ground clearance and traction, and towing in the expy's case. Neither are meant to be great off roaders, per se.
Whereas the everest, with even more ground clearance, and a shorter wheelbase, is actually meant to be decent off road, but probably gives up a little cargo space etc.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would buy one if it ever made it to the US. Ford has stopped making vehicles that I like so when its time to trade in the 2006 Escape not sure what I will be getting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't understand the engine strategy. The Everest will be powered by Transit engines, 2.2 and 3.2 TDCI. A completely new 2.0 TDCI will be presented late 2015 for commercial purposes... I don't believe that Ford will update the older engines for this one.
Chrysler uses the V6 diesel engine from parent Fiat. Ford builds an excellent V6 diesel engine for Jaguar, it's a shame that they don't use it in this one. The Australian Territory has the V6 2.7 TDCI but let's be honest, it's a left over AS Jaguar uses the 3.0 version from 2009 onwards.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love this thing. Maybe it'll come to the US some day in a different form...

Hey Ford: make a Lincoln Aviator with it!
No. It would be ridiculous to bring the Everest here. Americans do not need BOF SUVs much at all anymore. I'm completely happy to make due with the Explorer. So, by extension, it would make even less sense to make a Lincoln version out of it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No. It would be ridiculous to bring the Everest here. Americans do not need BOF SUVs much at all anymore. I'm completely happy to make due with the Explorer. So, by extension, it would make even less sense to make a Lincoln version out of it.
Eh, I just want another American company to compete with the Grand Cherokee. ****, GM has FOUR brands, yet not even one of them can field a Grand Cherokee fighter...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
This isn't really anything to get excited about; from what I can tell from the spy pix, it looks exactly like the concept. It will be interesting to see if it gets terrain response, though, like in the explorer.

BTW, this will be debuting just a few days before the MCE'd explorer does on Nov 19. You see, the differences between the Explorer and the Everest are analogous to the overall differences between what americans want in SUVs, and what other, less developed (no offense) markets want in SUVs.

In a way, the current unibody explorer is actually more similar to the expedition than the expedition is to the everest. Why? Because both the explorer and expy are basically big station wagons (which I say endearingly) with better ground clearance and traction, and towing in the expy's case. Neither are meant to be great off roaders, per se.
Whereas the everest, with even more ground clearance, and a shorter wheelbase, is actually meant to be decent off road, but probably gives up a little cargo space etc.

What do you guys think?
I think the Everest is basically a modern version of what the Explorer used to be before it was turned into a crossover SUV.

The outgoing Everest (pre-facelift model shown) sort of resembles the old Explorer when viewed from the side.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Eh, I just want another American company to compete with the Grand Cherokee. ****, GM has FOUR brands, yet not even one of them can field a Grand Cherokee fighter...
Okay, if they marketed as more of a grand cherokee and 4runner competitor, than it would make sense. Whereas the explorer goes more head to head with the highlander and Durango.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^^^.......I think you got it right. The Everest is the Explorer for the rest of the world, where the Explorer is just one size too big.

Size wise, the Everest fits between the Escape and Explorer.

Another way to look at it is based on class:

New Expedition - New F-150
New RWD Explorer - ?
New RWD Everest - Ranger
New Escape - ?
New Ecosport - ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think the Everest is basically a modern version of what the Explorer used to be before it was turned into a crossover SUV.

The outgoing Everest (pre-facelift model shown) sort of resembles the old Explorer when viewed from the side.
Yup, that's true. The outgoing Everest, as a matter of fact, was based on the international-market 1998-2010 ford ranger, therefore very analogous to how the original explorer was based on the concurrent US-market ranger.

So, I like to think of the outgoing Everest (and the new one, for that matter) as a time capsule of the old, 1990-2001 Explorer.
In that sense the Everest is pretty cool, but I still don't think there's much market for it in the US. Even if it is marketed as a more direct competitor to the 4runner, the average joe would probably think its not much different from an explorer.
Then again, toyota manages to sell it's highlander and the 4runner, so maybe Ford could manage it...

·
Registered
287 Posts
^^^.......I think you got it right. The Everest is the Explorer for the rest of the world, where the Explorer is just one size too big.

New RWD Explorer - ?
New RWD Everest - Ranger
New Escape - ?
New Ecosport - ?
Let me help you fill that chart out:

Expedition = F150
Explorer = taurus
Everest = T6 ranger, outgoing everest = old international-market Ranger
Escape/Kuga = focus (they are on the same platform)
Ecosport = Fiesta (on the same platform)

If the explorer went rwd, than I don't think they should sell the everest here as well. If they did, than the only difference would basically be that the everest is BOF, the explorer unibody. Now, if they did sell the everest here, than they should keep the explorer strictly fwd/awd and unibody.

Personally what I would want is Ford to not sell the Everest here, but, instead, make the explorer RWD but still unibody. And there would be the corresponding Lincoln version, maybe called the aviator. As I've said before, RWD and unibody is the best setup for a modern SUV, for american tastes that is. Let the other markets have the more rugged BOF Everest, because they actually use their SUVs for off roading and stuff. And obviously the expedition should stay BOF.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

New RWD Explorer - ?
New RWD Everest - Ranger
New Escape - ?
New Ecosport - ?
I don't know about the RotW but
believe the EDGE outsells all other FordUS CuvSuvs
(& isn't ^^^^^^^^^^^ going to China - and Yurpland too?)
so
would you just stick it into the List between Everest & Escape as a stand-alone?
&tho what about the possibility of a 3-row XedgeL?

·
Registered
287 Posts
(& isn't ^^^^^^^^^^^ going to China - and Yurpland too?)
so
would you just stick it into the List between Everest & Escape as a stand-alone?
&tho what about the possibility of a 3-row XedgeL?
Yes, the edge would technically be between the escape and everest, but there isn't just a linear branch going from escape all the way to the explorer. The everest is kind of it's own separate thing, much more utilitarian than ford's other car based utilities. Think of the everest as an "alter ego" of the explorer, not just a slightly smaller explorer.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Yes, the edge would technically be between the escape and everest, but there isn't just a linear branch going from escape all the way to the explorer. The everest is kind of it's own separate thing, much more utilitarian than ford's other car based utilities. Think of the everest as an "alter ego" of the explorer, not just a slightly smaller explorer.
Agree
plus, there's the Flex & Expedition so
Cuvs______
B-Max - Escape - Edge - (EdgeXL) - Explorer - Flex
Suvs______
EcoSport(sorta) - Everest - Expeditions
maybe even a swb^Bronco?

off-topic

don't see this dual-range applying to Lincoln
my lineup:
MKC - MKX - XLG(mkTreplacement) - Navigators
to
MKC - X-Sport - MKX - AviatorSport - Aviator - Navigators

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

Yes, size-wise the Everest is closer to the Explorer since its roughly the size of the previous body-on-frame Explorer.

Here in the Philippines where they sell both the Explorer and Everest, the Everest is priced lower, it overlaps with the Escape. (Pricing of pickup-based diesel mid-size SUVs usually overlap with the compact CUV segment). The current unibody Explorer outsells most traditional SUVs here like the Toyota Prado (where the Lexus GX is based on), Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero), and Nissan Patrol.

I hope the new Everest does the same in its own segment (pickup-based diesel mid-size SUV).

Based on September 2014 US CUV/SUV sales, the Escape (no.3) and Explorer (no.6) outsell the Edge (no.18).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Based on September 2014 US CUV/SUV sales, the Escape (no.3) and Explorer (no.6) outsell the Edge (no.18).
TY, Am222 :thumb:
Wow, how was I that mistaken? :facepalm:

it makes perfect sense that the cheaper Escape would sell most
but
wondering how far back the Explorer beating the Edge goes? all the way?
(the earliest sales .pdf I have on this puter is Nov 2013)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
TY, Am222 :thumb:
Wow, how was I that mistaken? :facepalm:

it makes perfect sense that the cheaper Escape would sell most
but
wondering how far back the Explorer beating the Edge goes? all the way?
(the earliest sales .pdf I have on this puter is Nov 2013)
The outgoing 2014 Edge was only marginally bigger inside than the Escape (its biggest advantage is its shoulder room) while its cargo area behind the rear seats was slightly smaller.

I guess more people just felt, if they're just getting a 5-seater crossover, they might as well get the lower-priced more fuel efficient Escape that's only marginally smaller inside than the (outgoing) Edge, if they're getting something larger and more expensive than the Escape they might as well get the roomier 7-seater Explorer.

PS: I just wonder how much roomier the 2015 Edge is, though I think it's not intended to be a cargo hauler since it doesn't have a traditional long station wagon rear end.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts