Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the pleasure to thumb through the new January 2015 edition of C & D on my iPad. In a comparison test between the new 2015 Ford Expedition Platinum and the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ, the 2015 Ford Expedition Platinum won! :thumb: The 2015 Expedition won the majority of the overall category's in which the two vehicles were compared, i.e, Vehicle, Powertrain and Chassis.

Here are a couple of notable quotes from the article:

"True, the Chevy's 17-mpg average for our 500 mile round trip was one better than the Ford's, including 20 or so miles of towing, during which the Chevy V8 occasionally ran in four-cylinder mode. This was despite the Expedition's smaller high-tech engine and Ford's promise of improved efficiency without compromising power. But the small block's 4100-rpm torque peak never provided the instant thrust of the Expedition's boosted V-6, nor the pull we expected from its burly exhaust note. With a warlike feel that some drivers preferred to the truckish Ford, the latest Tahoe is a highly polished and immensely capable SUV. But the Expedition is better in many meaningful ways."

"Yet, despite its girth and seemingly near static sameness, the big Ford is admirably light on its feet, winning almost every performance test....Not only does the Expedition's independent suspension make for a steadier ride over rough terrain, it's superior packaging permits a lower cargo floor that's much easier to load with gear...Whether hitched to the boat or on its own, the Expedition, which can tow up to 9200 pounds versus the Tahoe's 8400, always felt stable and powerful. The EcoBoost V-6 is a torque mill, and it works smartly with the six-speed automatic to keep the truck pulling when the Chevy's V-8 is straining for revs. A 6.4 second run to 60 mph and 15 flat in the quarter are more than adequate..."

"It may not be as new or efficient as the Tahoe, but the Expedition is a bit cheaper, and more powerful, flexible and capacious. For a vehicle that will likely haul a bit of everything over its lifetime, such versatility makes it hard to beat."

Ford is demonstrating that it's definitely on the way back! :joyous:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
..now it is time to translate that into sales
The 'translation' has already begun.....

Navigator - October 2014 sales, up 38%, up 4% YTD

Expedition - October 2014 sales, up 18%, up 19% YTD
tho-imho, one month does not a translation make
or sumthin like that

the Navi numbers in particular DO indicate a Lot of PENT(up demand) imho
(and
that Max Wolff is a GENIUS
)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One area of particular interest was in the "C/D Test Results" section of the article. In this section it is appropriate that C & D compares the "PRACTICAL STOWAGE" between the 2015 Ford Expedition Platinum and the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ. The 2015 Ford Expedition wins in most of the areas of "PRACTICAL STOWAGE!" It wins in the following areas of PRACTICAL STOWAGE: # of BEER CASES behind the middle (37 cases) and rear seats (8 Cases); the length of pipe (142.3 inches) & LARGEST FLAT PANEL (86.5 X 49.5 inches). The only area of PRACTICAL STOWAGE in which the 2015 Ford Expedition tied with the Chevrolet Tahoe was in the # of BEER CASES behind the "front seat" (70 cases). :thumb:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...the Navi numbers in particular DO indicate a Lot of PENT(up demand) imho...
I'm trying to clean up one of my innumerable idea-textfiles
and came across:
704 Escalade
375 Navigator

without a date or thread-link

when I checked the latest October Sales,
1,320 Navigator

Anyone follow Cadillac sales??
...& wondering if that old Navi number was actually for the MKT?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Encouraging comparison. While towing and cargo carrying really aren't the most critical for most CUV drivers, a true BOF SUV will most likely be used, as the article states, for a whole range of serious duty. Sounds like the Expedition is the most well-rounded in that respect, and sounds like more fun to drive, too! A win for me!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The drive trains on the new GM trucks and full size suvs sucks.

If you don't floor it they all feel like you are dragging a boat anchor. Must be the set up GM used to get mpg.

The 3.5 V6 ecobeast is way more lively than that 6.2 V8 GM has

I also noticed that in real life without driving like a nun that GM gets worse economy figures than they state.

2014 GM sierra we used with a 5.3 on a 1000 mile journey netted 13.7 mpg average. same trip with an 2013 3,5 ecobeast netted 18.9 mpg average. same people same route a month apart

·
Registered
287 Posts
The drive trains on the new GM trucks and full size suvs sucks.

If you don't floor it they all feel like you are dragging a boat anchor. Must be the set up GM used to get mpg.

The 3.5 V6 ecobeast is way more lively than that 6.2 V8 GM has

I also noticed that in real life without driving like a nun that GM gets worse economy figures than they state.

2014 GM sierra we used with a 5.3 on a 1000 mile journey netted 13.7 mpg average. same trip with an 2013 3,5 ecobeast netted 18.9 mpg average. same people same route a month apart
Yeah, in that recent ford/ram/chevy comparison, they said that the silverado's transmission seemed to be programmed to be very fuel efficient, hence it seemed quite lethargic.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
If I did not say it loud enough earlier, then allow me again,

Congrats to Ford for putting out an exceptional product with engineered improvements that are substantial and matter most to customers, instead of waiting for all new model to bow. Would have been nice if you provided these updates a few years sooner to shut the critics, but as long as the next model is as good as it sounds, all is forgiven in what is basically a tiny low volume segment. Also, choosing not to flood rental fleet volumes in those years was probably for the better, like your cross town rival did.

Your biggest fan,
-wingsnut

1 - 14 of 14 Posts