Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

DEARBORN, Mich. – The Ford Explorer has a new option for customers in the market for a sporty-looking utility that also raises the bar on comfort and technology without breaking the bank: enter the Appearance Package.

"Customers asked for more, and this is our answer," said Matt Zuehlk, brand manager for the Explorer. "We know consumers love the look of the Explorer Sport. With this package you get that on Explorer XLT. It looks amazing, and has all the technology at a surprising value."

Available later this month, the new option offers customers even more variety as demand for utility vehicles increases. Explorer sales topped 20,000 in May for the first time since July 2005 with 20,346 vehicles being sold. This represents a 21 percent increase compared to May last year.

According to data from POLK, recently acquired by IHS, Explorer is a strong seller to the Millennial demographic, defined as buyers ages 18-34. According to POLK, since 2009, vehicle sales within this age demographic have increased 33 percent. However, Ford’s share of Millennial buyers more than doubles the industry pace with a 72 percent increase since 2009.

Explorer has contributed 21 percent to Ford’s overall sales growth with this younger Millennial demographic since 2009. "Explorer contributes more to our Millennial sales and share growth than any other passenger car or utility vehicle in our lineup. More proof that Explorer attracts all types of customers with great looks and third-row versatility," said Erich Merkle, US sales analyst for Ford.

The new Appearance Package includes striking exterior details, with 20-inch machined aluminum wheels that have painted pockets, black body side cladding and roof rack rails. Other stylish features include a Magnetic Metallic painted grille, mirror caps and liftgate appliques, Explorer hood badge, and door handles painted the same color as the body.

Interior details include leather-trimmed heated seats that have Miko® suede inserts and contrasting stitching; floor mats that have special badging; and an auto-dimming rearview mirror.

The package also features technology upgrades such as SYNC® with MyFord Touch®, two 4.2-inch color LCD displays in the instrument cluster, an 8-inch LCD color touch-screen in the Meteorite Black center stack, two USB ports and an SD card reader.

• Explorer sales break the 20,000-vehicle mark in May for the first time since July 2005, with 20,346 vehicles being sold, making it the best month ever for the current generation

• 2015 Ford Explorer XLT is available later this month with a new appearance package that gives the utility a sportier look, adds more comfort and technology features at an outstanding value

• The new Appearance Package includes grille and mirror caps painted Magnetic Metallic, 20-inch machined aluminum wheels with painted pockets and leather-trimmed heated seats with genuine Miko® suede inserts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Nice package.

The website calls it the XLT Appearance Package since it's only available on the XLT Explorer model. The cost is $1,195. Also it seems to be only available on the 3.5L V6 FWD or AWD but not on the 2.0L EcoBoost model.

With the new package, you actually get what comes with the current $1,500 Driver Connect Package, plus the exterior upgrades (new 20-inch machined and painted wheels, moldings, Explorer badging, etc), for just $1,195.

Just for a pricing comparison, the 20-inch polished wheels are $1,195 alone.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Every Ford eventually gets one of these packages, the Edge got it too. I'm waiting for the Escape to do something to spice up the lower-model.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

The Explorer with the XLT Appearance Package does look nice. It gives it a more aggressive look, and less family wagon.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The exterior looks great and is a welcomed addition to an already exceptional vehicle. Now about the interior, is black on black the only option? I truly hope not. I've had this issue with other Ford products and I wish Ford could understand that there are a lot of people who do not care for all black interiors. Lighten up a bit guys, thanks!

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The exterior looks great and is a welcomed addition to an already exceptional vehicle. Now about the interior, is black on black the only option? I truly hope not. I've had this issue with other Ford products and I wish Ford could understand that there are a lot of people who do not care for all black interiors. Lighten up a bit guys, thanks!
Black, or dark charcoal seems to be in most interiors. You see it in the dash and much of the trim, etc.
Are you referring to black seats? Of course you can get other colors there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice package.

The website calls it the XLT Appearance Package since it's only available on the XLT Explorer model. The cost is $1,195. Also it seems to be only available on the 3.5L V6 FWD or AWD but not on the 2.0L EcoBoost model.

With the new package, you actually get what comes with the current $1,500 Driver Connect Package, plus the exterior upgrades (new 20-inch machined and painted wheels, moldings, Explorer badging, etc), for just $1,195.

Just for a pricing comparison, the 20-inch polished wheels are $1,195 alone.
The press release is a bit misleading. The appearance package requires equipment group 202A which covers the technological features mentioned. The appearance pack is just for the 20" wheels and unique interior and exterior accents.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Black, or dark charcoal seems to be in most interiors. You see it in the dash and much of the trim, etc.
Are you referring to black seats? Of course you can get other colors there.
It still has that terrible Sony nob. They should ditch that ASAP.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Nice package. Still not letting go of my 05 Eddie Bauer, though. Wow, in November, it will be our ten year anniversary. Can't believe it. Hopefully, that will be 10 trouble free years with it. If the next generation 4Runner isn't so ugly, I may trade her in for one of those.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Ford. Change the instrument panel if you're going to change anything. What's the point of having a speedo the size of a dinner plate and then having a tach that's microscopic??? I like the rest of the Explorer and wish Lincoln would do a sports version of it to compete with the Range Rover Sport but that speedo/tach issue is infuriating to me.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Ford. Change the instrument panel if you're going to change anything. What's the point of having a speedo the size of a dinner plate and then having a tach that's microscopic??? I like the rest of the Explorer and wish Lincoln would do a sports version of it to compete with the Range Rover Sport but that speedo/tach issue is infuriating to me.
I don't know about microscopic, but considering how much I use my tach in an automatic, which is close to never, I would say they sized them based on priority, perfectly.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I hope so, the new Aviator is testing around Dearborn but no spy pics yet :(
Next gen MY2016 Explorer is due to start production 4th quarter 2015. Which is just about 15 months away. Sharing the same platform, the new Explorer and Aviator should both launch together, like the new MKX and new Edge....should.

Looking at what Lincoln has done with the MKX, I am expecting the new Aviator(bigger 5+2 passenger version of the MKX) to give the X5, Range Rover Sport, Q7 and GL some good competition globally.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^
In regards to the MKT sales,
I hope we see proportional shifts in product volumes, like we did when Explorer started selling well above Flex when introduced. Thus if MKT goes away, a stylish Aviator that has more CUV proportions (as opposed to wagon like) should sell far better than MKT ever could. Thus the niche BOF Navigator can fill the need of big SUV capability/towing/hauling, while the Aviator can handle the light loads.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Next gen MY2016 Explorer is due to start production 4th quarter 2015. Which is just about 15 months away. Sharing the same platform, the new Explorer and Aviator should both launch together, like the new MKX and new Edge....should.

Looking at what Lincoln has done with the MKX, I am expecting the new Aviator(bigger 5+2 passenger version of the MKX) to give the X5, Range Rover Sport, Q7 and GL some good competition globally.
agree, the MKX will be a SRX, RX competitor and the Aviator a GL,Q7 competitor
I think we could see the MKX this year and the MKS and Aviator next year

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^
In regards to the MKT sales,
I hope we see proportional shifts in product volumes, like we did when Explorer started selling well above Flex when introduced. Thus if MKT goes away, a stylish Aviator that has more CUV proportions (as opposed to wagon like) should sell far better than MKT ever could. Thus the niche BOF Navigator can fill the need of big SUV capability/towing/hauling, while the Aviator can handle the light loads.
It could be that Vignale (Vignale = Lincoln for Europe) models offers a good indication of what to expect on the Lincoln side. Which means we should see S-MAX SAV derived Lincoln to replace the MKT.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts