Ford Inside News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There are discrepancies between Ford F-150 models and their crash test results.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced that the 2015 Ford F-150 swept the agency’s full slate of crashworthiness evaluations, resulting in a Top Safety Pick award with the F-150 extended cab model receiving a good performance in four of the five assessments, faltering in the small overlap front test with a marginal rating. What’s strange is that the Ford F-150 crew cab, which the American automaker brands as the SuperCrew, earned good ratings for occupant protection on all five tests, including the small overlap front.

The good news is that for the Ford F-150 being the first mass-market vehicle with an all-aluminum body it’s just as crashworthy as its steel-body predecessor. The bad news is not all the Ford F-150 models offer the same protection in a small overlap crash, but why?

According to IIHS, the extended cab model on the small overlap front crash test saw its intruding structure seriously compromising the driver’s survival space, resulting in a poor structural rating. In the crew cab model’s case, the F-150’s occupant compartment remained intact with the “front-end structure crumpled in a way that spared the occupant compartment significant intrusion and preserved survival space for the driver.”

This is all because the American automaker added structural elements to the crew cab’s front frame to earn a good small overlap rating but didn’t do the same for the extended cab model. After notifying Ford, the automaker responded by saying that it’s evaluating possible changes to the extended cab for small offset performance.

Digging deeper, the Ford F-150 SuperCrew essentially comes with what Ford calls “protectors” in front of and behind each front wheel, which is being attributed to the better crash test results.

Ford spokesman Mike Levine spoke to Automotive News via email, saying ...
For more on this story, 2015 Ford F-150s Crash Ratings Vary By Model: Report please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
New Ford F-150 Crash Test Reveals Major Differences Between Variants

If you’ve already bought a Ford F-150 and it’s the extended cab instead of the crew cab model, then you’d better be aware that it’s not as safe.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) tested both variants and discovered the crew cab passed the tricky small overlap crash no problem, whereas the extended cab didn’t.

The latter is apparently missing some key chassis braces which are only fitted to the crew cab. These seem to have a dramatic impact on whether or not you’ll still have your feet and lower legs in the event of a real small overlap-like crash.

In the extended cab, the pedals moved 1 ft or some 30 cm, yet in the crew cab the body was able to absorb the damage and leave the passenger compartment intact.

So, if we’re talking about the crew cab model, then that is rated a Top Safety Pick, whereas the extended cab isn’t.

Ford was made aware of the problem and it’s apparently analyzing whether it can make the extended cab just as rigid as the crew cab. The only problem is they should have been like that from the get-go; the fact that safety credentials can vary so much between different variants of the same vehicle is a tad disconcerting I think…
- http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/new-ford-f-150-crash-test-reveals-major.html

Crew Cab
https://youtu.be/_KCLyPip2Iw
https://youtu.be/avp_w5iye4A

Extended Cab
https://youtu.be/FzxiTZcIyUE
https://youtu.be/bp0cMhqaHcg

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Re: New Ford F-150 Crash Test Reveals Major Differences Between Variants

I hope Ford corrects this because the difference is astonishing

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

Please don't buy into these attention seeking headlines. They could have worded it far different, but chose instead to paint the Ford negative,

Here is where the Ford stands currently, and GM needs to explain WTF happened.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

Please don't buy into these attention seeking headlines. They could have worded it far different, but chose instead to paint the Ford negative,

Here is where the Ford stands currently, and GM needs to explain WTF happened.
As mentioned in the article and IIHS site, Top Safety Pick only applies to the crew cab model, what if the customer wants to buy other cab configurations?

This is the reason why IIHS tested the other cab configuration.
To improve the crashworthiness of the F-150 SuperCrew, Ford used steel bars welded to the pickup's frame that help prevent the front wheels from intruding into the passenger area in a crash involving the front corner. The parts aren't included on the F-150's other cab configurations.
The big question is why only the crew cab SuperCrew has these reinforcements?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

As mentioned in the article and IIHS site, Top Safety Pick only applies to the crew cab model, what if the customer wants to buy other cab configurations?

This is the reason why IIHS tested the other cab configuration.

The big question is why only the crew cab SuperCrew has these reinforcements?

I don't have an answer, and probably a good question, although it really matters little, as the correction is already in place for 2016, which is launching soon.

But again I ask, why is Ford criticized for this, but GM completely dropped the ball. The 900lb Gorilla in the room, is not wearing a blue oval hat.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

I don't have an answer, and probably a good question, although it really matters little, as the correction is already in place for 2016, which is launching soon.

But again I ask, why is Ford criticized for this, but GM completely dropped the ball. The 900lb Gorilla in the room, is not wearing a blue oval hat.
Perhaps because it's the only large pickup that's been tested for the small overlap so far and they found out not all versions get the frame reinforcements?
Can't really say much about the others if they haven't been tested for small overlap.

Speaking of IIHS small over lap crash tests, the Fiesta still gets a "Marginal" rating for 2015, while the Sonic was upgraded for 2015 and gets a "Good" rating. Does Ford think the current Fiesta is too late in its model cycle to be worth modifying?
I wish Ford quickly upgrades the structures of both the F150 (other cab configurations) and Fiesta, such good vehicles. Gotta aim for being best in class.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

This whole test is flawed. If it is meant to simulate an offset crash on the road, they should be crash testing the vehicles into a mid-sized sedan running at a similar speed. The current tests slams the vehicle into an immovable object, which does not happen in the real world. Heavier vehicles have way more energy to absorb. This test would have you believe a Sonic would be safer than an F-150, but in a reality, the mass of the F-150 would likely plow through the Sonic and continue forward, scrubbing off energy slowly.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

I too see these tests as very unrealistic. Where can one duplicate hitting an immovable object? Most things will deform and not remain intact. Trees, poles, even concrete pillars will shatter. That rigid test structure does not give at all. The physics changes dramatically, when it does.

And my other point, is that every truck variant is made differently, hence the differ ratings typical of them. And although I don't know why Ford chose to actually add complexity by excluding some, I think there are other reasons that have little to do with screwing the customer and profit, and more to do with manufacturing complexities, logistics, timing, planning, etc.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What a shame, we all saw this coming too and it's inexcusable. Ford really has to work on safety as a priority, they are lagging behind in crash worthiness and crash avoidance technology. I know they are trying to save weight and money but these are important things. Hopefully Ford will react by reinstalling the safety supports across the range. It would be better if they would also recall all the trucks and repair them, but obviously that's not necessary since they meet government regulations.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Every brand truck varies by model, typically, but Ford has come darn close to pulling off the FIRST EVER perfect rating across the lineup.

bravo Ford

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups
The data is VERY incomplete right now.

F-150 did well but they deliberately compromised the safety of the lesser model which is hardly redeemable or congratulatory. I would like an explanation which I'm sure we won't get because it's business related and we don't want to be reminded that Ford is an evil corporation like all the others.

In any case, that's why this industry needs to be so heavily regulated because stuff like this happens when they aren't being watched and there is no way customers would know there is a significant safety difference.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
'deliberately compromised' seems excessive. I contend it has more to do with planning, logistics, manufacturing or even supply chain limitations, then a deliberate attempt to screw anyone for profit, especially because it is added complexity to not make them uniform the first model year.

I know some will view my next question as skirting the issue, but I want to know how GM's failings across their entire model line did not get any press, but a manufacturing variability with a correction already in place, is giving Ford a black eye, even though they are tops by far in their ratings.

Meh, gives forums something to talk about I guess

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
'deliberately compromised' seems excessive. I contend it has more to do with planning, logistics, manufacturing or even supply chain limitations, then a deliberate attempt to screw anyone for profit, especially because it is added complexity to not make them uniform the first model year.

I know some will view my next question as skirting the issue, but I want to know how GM's failings across their entire model line did not get any press, but a manufacturing variability with a correction already in place, is giving Ford a black eye, even though they are tops by far in their ratings.

Meh, gives forums something to talk about I guess
Added complexity in a truck with countless variations of bolt on options, beds, drivetrains, and cab configurations? This is a part you bolt on like the dozen or so optional grilles, that's it! They took it out and the vehicles without it are at a disadvantage and I'm certain they know that. It's a safety feature, of course they know the truck would be less safe without it. That's hard to justify and it certainly deserves allot of attention because only NOW they are 'fixing' it. This is why attention is great for consumers because Ford would not have done the right thing otherwise. I find Ford very hard to trust with things like this, especially when it involves human life.

I would be fine if Ford declared this as an optional safety accessory so consumers are aware of the differences between configurations. But I know what they would say..."The F-150 meets or exceeds all NHTSA Government Regulations". Ultimately this an area that obviously needs much more regulation and enforcement to ensure they aren't using loopholes to meet safety compliance and intentionally deceiving customers. It's the same with Gas mileage and Ford took advantages of those too.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
but I want to know how GM's failings across their entire model line did not get any press
The Silverado has not yet been tested for the small overlap crash test, so nobody can comment about it.
When you hype up a new model like Ford's new all-aluminum-bodied F150 and something goes wrong, people will notice.
...and GM already got bashed for the ignition problem on old models.

I think it doesn't matter if there's a competitor that did worse than a Ford model, what's important is Ford should be a leader (best-in-class) in all areas specially safety.

Update:
I believe these color-coded bits are the steel bars that helped the SuperCrew earn a Top Safety Pick.

-https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-f-150-gets-high-marks-in-new-crash-tests-125425369777.html

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
No, but it was rated as poor for most others, which is my point, here they are boasting of steel over alum for safety, yet rank at the bottom for safety.
It was rated poor by what metric?

GM routinely outclasses Ford in the Small Overlap. There is no doubt the Silverado will match F-150 if not best it in all configurations.

Ford Fusion: Acceptable
Chevy Malibu: Good

Ford Escape: Poor
Chevy Equinox: Good

Ford Focus: Marginal
Chevy Cruze: Marginal

Ford Explorer: Marginal
Chevrolet Traverse: Untested

Ford Fiesta: Marginal
Chevrolet Sonic: Good

Chevrolet Trax: Good

Chevrolet Spark: Acceptable

The F-150 and the Flex are the first vehicles to rank "Good" from Ford in this category. It doesn't look like Ford is engineering for small overlap for whatever reason. I bet the braces for F-150 are to improve on the moderate overlap performance for a heavier vehicle rather than the small overlap test.

Is it common in this business to have optional braces for crash strengthening? Is this an engineering necessity because of the Aluminum construction? Did IIHS do a moderate offset test of both configurations?

I'm very curious to hear what Ford's reasoning beyond "We meet NHTSA etc. etc. etc."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts