Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this for the next couple of days on my business trip to Ft. Lauderdale. Any questions?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
TY, Andrew :thumb:

my 2 main gripes from the initial version

-- Have they changed(fixed) the rearseat (lack of) FOOTroom? ...sorta-also Are the front seatbacks still on the blocky side?
-- Does the passenger side dash still stick out (when I sat on the right, I had to have the seat farther back than when in the driver's seat)?

&
Would you take a foto of the engine compartment - particularly the internal headlight area?
(( I have this fixation about burying the lamps deeper in the body to de-emphasize their appearance (counter to ALL mfgs) but the initial version's compartment was JamPacked ))

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some pics I will be posting later but quickly while on my lunch break.

The transmission seems to shift fine however this car has a really jittery idle which is annoying because it feels like it's going to stall out. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it at all so I am not sure why it's doing that already unless the previous renters really kicked the s*** out of it.

Pickup is adequate for its segment but feels almost souless

Interior room in the front is good no complaints here the rear looks really cramped however (don't worry 2b2 I will have those pics)

Interior noise is ok however at highway speeds and using the phone I had to turn the volume up a bit which resulted in people I was talking to, to hear their voices.

Materials... oh materials. Ford got this one backwards IMO. The dash above the tiny screen is soft touch and plush in fact you can press in on it quite a bit (I have a pic). However the door panels are rock hard and I seriously mean rock hard plastic no padding at all. I was in this car for 3.5 hours from St. Pete to Ft. Lauderdale and I like to rest my arm on the top part of the door panel by the window and it started to hurt after a few mins which was really annoying.

A few months ago I took a business trip to Princeton, NJ and had a KIA Forte and so far I am liking the Forte a **** of a lot better than the Focus. Not to say the Focus is bad but the Forte felt better in pretty much every aspect and was more fun to drive.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looks like you have a very low spec Focus, aka no fog lights etc.
Titanium spec comes with soft touch upper door material & arm rest on the front doors.
Surprised to see a word soulless used on a Ford vehicle, and that you found a Kia more fun to drive.
Guess the quality coming out of MAP is a tad bad for a Kia to feel all around better.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you have a very low spec Focus, aka no fog lights etc.
Titanium spec comes with soft touch upper door material & arm rest on the front doors.
Surprised to see a word soulless used on a Ford vehicle, and that you found a Kia more fun to drive.
Guess the quality coming out of MAP is a tad bad for a Kia to feel all around better.
See my pictures below the turn signals on the mirrors both had mositure in them so I wouldn't be surprised if there are quaility issues. This is a problem and could be why the Focus is slipping in sales

I too drove a Forte, and hated it. New Focus is much better in every way.

And honestly, you get what you pay for in a stripped Focus.
HEY you disagree with me 100% what a shock :-(. The reason I liked the Forte better was because it felt more like a drivers car. I liked the dash layout and the acceleration was better than the Focus. Now grated the Focus has an ST and RS trim that the Forte doesn't and probably won't but in terms of basic commuters I liked that aspect about the Forte better. I just don't think the door panel should be rock hard plastic and the dash above a screen soft touch, you are never going to rest your arm or hand on that. Higher trims have padding on the doors seems silly I think it should be like that across the board.

Here are some of the pics:

Driver side with seat about half way rear seat room:

Passenger side with seat all the way back

Engine compartment

Headlight housing

Here is me showing the plush dash part over the radio screen

Rock hard door panels

Passenger side dash:

Now in terms of poor build quality this should not be happening on a 2015 Focus:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more notes.

-FE was good on the highway I was seeing the instant readout hovering around 40 when driving across the everglades which is excellent!
-I didn't notice any weird transmission problems till my trip back when I had to accelerate fast to pass a truck that was turning into my lane, the transmission had a really weird delay for about 5 seconds then downshifted then all the power came at once. Very odd.
-The NON MyFord Touch system supports Pandora on the main screen which MFT and MLT does NOT, I know I am going to sound like a broken record but I am still upset that when I play pandora on my phone my Lincoln doesn't send the info to the screen but a basic stripper FORD does.
-When getting calls however the music stops and SOMETIMES restarts when the call is done and other times does not which is annoying
-Backup camera was pretty good for a small screen
-Cup holders were excellent

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
^

LOL

Honestly though Andrew, get behind the wheel of a nicely equipped Focus instead of a stripped and abused rental car. Focus easily has far better driving dynamics than a Forte, with only a mild penalty in ride and has more useful features as well. It is just a better car.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
THANKS, Andrew :thumb:

-- Have they changed(fixed) the rearseat (lack of) FOOTroom? ...sorta-also Are the front seatbacks still on the blocky side?...
...Driver side with seat about half way rear seat room:
I seem to remember the seatBACKS being even worse BUT

that 'exposed' cross-beam where I'd put my heels, esp. entering/exiting, is still there (of course)

...-- Does the passenger side dash still stick out (when I sat on the right, I had to have the seat farther back than when in the driver's seat)?...
same

...Would you take a foto of the engine compartment - particularly the internal headlight area?
(( I have this fixation about burying the lamps deeper in the body to de-emphasize their appearance (counter to ALL mfgs) but the initial version's compartment was JamPacked ))...
same

re-:thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi all . Im from Istanbul Turkey and ive been a member of this forum for a long time. Im a FORd fan.
My recent cars were VW golf 1.2 tsi M/T comfortline and VW polo 1.2 tsi comfortline M/T.
I sold the Golf and bought a brand new facelifted 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 tdci powershift HB (race red) a couple of weeks ago.

Okay, focus has better engines, transmissions and driving dynamics and maybe focus is a more reliable car than a Golf but FORD has too much to learn from VW. In terms of cabin quality feeling, ergonomy and design ford focus is a disaster. I feel deep remorse for this exchange. I can say that Ford is 10 years behind from VW at the interior.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
THANKS, Andrew :thumb:

I seem to remember the seatBACKS being even worse BUT

that 'exposed' cross-beam where I'd put my heels, esp. entering/exiting, is still there (of course)

same

same

re-:thumb:
When Ford did the Focus Mk3, they didn't use it as an opportunity to improve the interior packaging.
I drive a Mk2 sedan, by the way....

They moved the windshield base even further forward over the strut towers on the Mk3, and they put a deep dashboard that intrudes into the front passenger's legs. Looks futuristic and all, but packaging is kinda poor.

I hope they fix all of this on the Mk4 Focus.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Only issue I have with the MK3 Focus and Ford is that they do not add soft touch door cards in the rear compartment, even on the higher spec Titanium.
And I agree that the lower spec Focus below Titanium trim interior ambiance is very low rent feeling, I go as far as saying embarrassing low rent:facepalm:.
Other then that the car is #1 for my tastes, and made even better with the current face lift updates, inside and out.

I understand the ones that prefer the conservative box like interiors like the Golf & MK2 Focus (pic below of my old MK2) and one size fits all interior design language. But I am really glad Ford did not design the MK3 to be a one size fits all car.

To be such a popular car of choice globally speaks highly of Ford's knowledge of what compact car shoppers who prioritize driving prefer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Only issue I have with the MK3 Focus and Ford is that they do not add soft touch door cards in the rear compartment, even on the higher spec Titanium.
And I agree that the lower spec Focus below Titanium trim interior ambiance is very low rent feeling, I go as far as saying embarrassing low rent:facepalm:.
Other then that the car is #1 for my tastes, and made even better with the current face lift updates, inside and out.

I understand the ones that prefer the conservative box like interiors like the Golf & MK2 Focus (pic below of my old MK2) and one size fits all interior design language. But I am really glad Ford did not design the MK3 to be a one size fits all car.

To be such a popular car of choice globally speaks highly of Ford's knowledge of what compact car shoppers who prioritize driving prefer.
I think good or better interior packaging doesn't necessarily mean the interior has to be conservative.

The Fusion/Mondeo's dash seems to have a nice profile.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Fusion/Mondeo interior is a big sore spot for me. When I first seen the exterior I was blown away with the dramatic styling design, so premium and upscale looking. But the interior design language in my eyes is such a let down, with a huge disconnect to the dramatic exterior design language. I have zero issues on the materials used, switch gear or how all the dials etc damping is nice and premium feeling. But there is no character and for me is a big let down compared to the exterior appearance.

That is what I really like about the MK3 Focus, exterior and interior design language flow together so nicely.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Fusion/Mondeo interior is a big sore spot for me. When I first seen the exterior I was blown away with the dramatic styling design, so premium and upscale looking. But the interior design language in my eyes is such a let down, with a huge disconnect to the dramatic exterior design language. I have zero issues on the materials used, switch gear or how all the dials etc damping is nice and premium feeling. But there is no character and for me is a big let down compared to the exterior appearance.

That is what I really like about the MK3 Focus, exterior and interior design language flow together so nicely.
I'm not talking about styling details, i'm talking about the shape, like what 2b2 mentioned, they way the Focus Mk3's dashboard protrudes towards the knees of the front occupants.
In the Focus Mk3, the part of the dashboard that protrudes is in level with the bottom of the steering column (close to the knees).

In the Fusion/Mondeo, the part of the dashboard that protrudes is in level with the top of the steering column.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Reactions: 2b2
1 - 19 of 19 Posts